Tyre fitting advice

So finally got a tyre to fit on the spare rim which came with UOV (TR3) but on trying to fit the valve to the rim, found the hole in the rim to big to accept a valve Hm……..Ah light bulb moment I need an inner tube ! but on examining the tyres already fitted on the rest of the car I see that there appears to be a hard plastic collar fitted in the valve hole through which the valve stem of the (I assume) inner tube sticks through.

Having absolutely no experience of these can any body tell me if I buy an inner tube does it come with said plastic collar or do I have to buy these separately and could anybody suggest a good source of either.

The tyre I'm fitting is a 155 80 15

You can still go tubeless - you just need the larger 415 mushroom valve. Readily available on-line and probably from your local tyre fitters too.

http://valveandbalance.com/valve-hardware/575-tr415-snap-in-valve.html

Edited by RobH

You can still go tubeless - you just need the larger 415 mushroom valve. Readily available on-line and probably from your local tyre fitters too.

http://valveandbalance.com/valve-hardware/575-tr415-snap-in-valve.html

Rob many thanks and you have solved the mystery as the 'hard plastic collars' that I have fitted look to be these http://valveandbalance.com/valve-hardware/244-valve-ferrule.htmlso looks like my tyres that are fitted don't have inner tubes just the adaptor collar to allow 'normal' size tubeless valves to be fitted. The collars are NLA so have ordered the valves you suggested.

Hi Graham.

What you say there does to sound correct.

These plastic ferrules are used to allow a 13 mm valve on a tube to fit a 15 mm hole in a wheel.

If you had tubeless valves, surely they would simply have used the valve mentioned above.

They are not used with tubeless assemblies, and they won't make an airtight seal.

John.

Hi Graham.

What you say there does to sound correct.

These plastic ferrules are used to allow a 13 mm valve on a tube to fit a 15 mm hole in a wheel.

If you had tubeless valves, surely they would simply have used the valve mentioned above.

They are not used with tubeless assemblies, and they won't make an airtight seal.

John.

Ah thanks John so I do have tubes in the tyres fitted ! I was wondering how these collar things made an air tight seal , now I know, they don't, hopefully by using the valves suggested by Rob I will be able to go 'tubeless' for the spare

TR2/3/3A/4 rims are not suitable to go tubeless, the rim edge is wrong.Tyre fitters who have been in business for a lot of years will more than likely have some of those ferrules kicking around in their old stock

Stuart.

TR2/3/3A/4 rims are not suitable to go tubeless, the rim edge is wrong.Tyre fitters who have been in business for a lot of years will more than likely have some of those ferrules kicking around in their old stock

Stuart.

Oh so looks like I will have to go 'tubed' after all then thoughts on best place to purchase ? I was looking on line found 3 suppliers of Michelin tubes all around the £12 mark so not so bad, until I went to check out that is and they wanted £8 £9 and £12 +VAT postage so really looking for a supplier that doesn't use Alan Sugar as its van driver ! I know in the big scheme of things its not a huge amount of money I just hate being ripped off.

Thanks for all the advice chaps finally got the tyre on the rim, with inner tube and the ferrule thingy fitted. Next question are they usually such a PITA to get in the hole ?

its only a 155 but its a really tight fit. it was a good job I fitted a strap through the rim and round the tyre 'cos I don't think I would able able to pull it out without it !

Hopefully I will never need it, but as my grandmother always used to say better be looking at it than looking for it. :)

Drop the pressure down to about 10lbs and blow up to pressure when you've pulled it out of the spare wheel well.

Mick Richards

Modern tyres seem to have much thicker side-walls, plus embossed text which makes them a tighter fit than of old. I have always managed to fit 165s in both of my TR3A spare wheel compartments but the current Vredestein T-Trac only fits when deflated. No problem as I always carry a foot-pump but it's bound to be raining if/when I need to change a wheel!

• 4 weeks later...

I think generally TR2 and TR3 fit wire wheels, so they all need tubes. I have no doubt when i say that the Michelin tubes are the best. you can find them on here http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/classic-tyre-inner-tubes

We strongly recommend fitting tubes to all wire wheels, even if they are described as a tubeless wire wheel. we say fit tubes. we have come across too many failures to trust them

We give those collar top hat things away free just ring up and we'll sort it out 00 44 1302 711123 it is best for us to send them out with the tubes, saves us a few quid, so if you just ring up and buy your tubes then we can do the collars at the same time. However i don't think all your wheels will need them.

You chaps tend to fit a variety of tyres. personally i think i would run 155HR15 Cinturato tyres. However since we made this page http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/triumph-tr2 and since i made this short film

have been a few developments. When i made the film the 155Hr15 Cinturato CA67, the only avctual period radial tyre for these cars. In fact probably the only actual period tyre full Stop for a TR2 Edited by dougal
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think many of you chaps actually fitt a 155Hr15. However, i am about to run out of the Cinturato 155Hr15, but i expect to get more next month.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked the same question a while ago in this thread: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/59009-tyre-pressures/

I went with Stuarts advise and run 24 front, 26 rear in my car. Handling seems fine as far as TR3 "handling" goes. I still think it would be easier to get your knee down in a 3 than on a motorbike!

• 2 weeks later...