My drivers door is scratched and before it goes to the paint shop, I need to deal with the lock problem.

The latch is too low for the keep which has been filed out to suit. I have stripped out the door card and the latch is located by a plate in a small cage. My plan is to open up the top of the cage and move the plate up by 1/4". i would then lengthen the cage with a small new metal bracket and JB weld.

It is very difficult to see inside the door and I need help on the choice of tools for a repair ;like this. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

I measured some doors at the TR shop and at the spares day and they are all exactly the same.

It would be sensible to sort it out before the painting.

Can anyone help.

Richard & H. :)

How about moving the striker plate on the "B" post, you can also open the ears up on the latch to make them line up better. I have never ever had to move the latch in the door.If you try moving the latch then the outer handle wont fit to it.

Stuart.

New hinges and new screws. The latch is fitting into the keep but only because the keep has been filed out at the lower edge to allow the latch to enter.

I could just leave it alone but I do have the opportunity for a repair before it is painted.

thanks

Richard, as you close the door are you able to lift it sufficiently to latch or is the distance still to great ?. The A post is very flimsy allowing the door to move and even a small discrepancy at the front due to worn hinges, new hinges, loose screws will translate into a big discrepancy at the rear. I would want to get to the bottom of this before I started hacking the door.

Stan

Hi Stan,

If I lift the door it closes the gap with the scuttle/dashboard and touches the front wing. I agree the A post is not strong. The door gaps are all very good in the current position.

The front of my car is commission no. 28k and the back end B post, is post 60k. The doors are from another car and the floors were fitted by Northern TR centre.

thanks

Richard & H

Well Richard it seems like the re-assembly of all these tub bits have left you with this problem. I wonder if you elongated the holes in both the door and the B post that you would get enough movement (eg 1/8 inch on each to give you a total of 1/4 inch) to get the latches closer together ?. You would be relying on the natural slop in the cage nuts to give you the adjustment.

Stan