Steering Column Bushes Failed

Hi all learned brethren.

Please take a look at the pictures.

I think you click them to make them bigger!

Basically, my steering column started wobbling about from the inside.

The outer casing was rock solid as was the shaft lock and where it joins in to the rubber joining section.

So it has to be the bushes inside.

I got them out and you'll see that they seem to be chewed up???

I have bought 2 new very expensive nylon ones (£40 odd quid).

2 Questions.

1: What causes the chewing up and is it something more sinister? Did I have a cheap bush in there?

2: Will the new nylon ones do the job? They are sold as 'uprated'?

Thoughts and thanks.

Paul.

post-11421-0-82839000-1487672605_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-12250500-1487672606_thumb.jpg

The ones you took out look like the old repro type that were notorious for not lasting long. The new "Uprated" ones do last a lot longer but make sure you polish the column where it fits them.

Stuart.

The normal way a roadside TR user would fit the new bushes is to drive the old bushes down the tube and out of their "rubber tabbed location" and leave them there and drive a new bush in from the top using the hard part of the bush until the round rubber "tabs" locate in the tube.

Mick Richards

Hi Paul,

I fitted the Revington bushes last summer - what a job that was. They are quite stiff compared to the original/repro ones.

When fitted they griped the shaft quite tightly (far too tightly) and I ended up making an extended expanding reamer to clear the problem.

Getting the old ones put was straight forward. Fitting the new ones was not. But, it sorted out the play.

Roger

Paul, on mine there's a copper bush at the bottom end of the steering column sheath. If it is missing it puts extra strain on the rubber/nylon bushes and may cause the column to wobble after a while. The quick check is to see if the cap (7) is elongated.

Also it looks like only one of the bushes was chewed up, it may be because the rubber tab wasn't aligned with its hole hence rotating inside the sheath and causing premature wear.

Edited by Geko

Steph, Stuart, Roger, Mick - as always thanks.

My old bushes are out so I'll try Mick's install technique as best I can.

Stuart, I like a bit of spit and polish - I'll do that.

Roger - I have a feeling it will be a mission but you give me hope.

Steph - The end cap has not been elongated so maybe I caught it in time? I think you maybe right on the rubber not being aligned with its hole.

I'll report back after I have it sorted??

Many thanks to you all.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

post-11421-0-65344800-1488489286_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-02350000-1488489288_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-10543500-1488489289_thumb.jpg

So I managed to sort the issue. Pics show my homemade tool for the job - worked a treat but was slow work.

The centre column is rock solid now.

Thanks for the help.

Paul.