LED stop and tail lights

I've fitted LED bulbs to the indicators and reversing lights, as well as all dashboard lighting. They work well and the service from Better Car Lighting has been excellent.

I've also fitted LED side lights and stop/tail. The LED side lights work well but when I depress the brake pedal the tail lights go out. With normal bulbs in place all works well.

I'm not an electrical expert, but has anyone had a similar problem? I've checked for reverse polarity on number plate lights which made no difference.

Any thoughts welcome

Hi Chris,

I helped a friend fit them to a MGB, which had this problem! We tracked it down dirty/ corrosion terminals in bulb holders a, poor earths and corroded bullet connectors. We cleaned some up others, we replaced some and re-terminated others.

Bruce

Thanks to all for responses.

I suspect the problem is the less than robust electrical circuitry in the car (it's a new loom and with good earths but bulb holders seem always to be unpredictable).

I've solved my problem by fitting diodes on the power input on both of the rear sidelight units. Haven't done so on the brake inputs but the wiring loom for these is more simple that that for the sidelights and therefore (maybe) less prone to problems. LED are protected by their own circuitry against wiring problems that might well go undetected by a normal filament bulb.

That's my conclusion anyway (but I'm replacing the bulb holders just in case anyway!

Thanks again

Chris

post-13490-0-40904200-1487791472_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I wish to make my front sidelights brighter so they show in the day time, a bit like modern cars.

Not overly concerned with rear lights or number plate lights.

Is there a way of doing this or do I have to change all the bulbs?

I wish to make my front sidelights brighter so they show in the day time, a bit like modern cars.

Not overly concerned with rear lights or number plate lights.

Is there a way of doing this or do I have to change all the bulbs?

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/Gill will supply the bulbs for these for you I have replaced mine very white.

Cheers

Mike B)

Me again.

The rear tail lights are not that bright and I think to change the combined brake /rear light for LED.

The plastic lens is original and looks brittle, do they come off easily without breaking?

Me again.

The rear tail lights are not that bright and I think to change the combined brake /rear light for LED.

The plastic lens is original and looks brittle, do they come off easily without breaking?

Lister open the boot and remove the cardboard trim panels behind the rear lights you will then be able to pull the bulb holders out and get to the bulbs without touching the rear lens