205/70 R15 on TR6 in the 70s?

Back in the 70's we fitted wolfrace alloys and 205 tyres

Handled like a pig but we thought it looked great....it didnt...upholstered roller skate

Stick to standard fitting

You are right Dennis.. In a certain way. But you must not forget that in the early 70th 165 and 185 were very BIIIG tires for the period.

At the time Triumph was also choosing what was available at a price in the different markets and what was available in general. Also they had to follow the law in the countries where they shipped the cars. You will notice that they fitted not only different sizes, but also different speed ratings.

Same as today car companies do their best to fit tires from firms they get the best deals from.

Why people as me were choosing 195/65, very simple up to now they are of a size most fabricated and in so far not expensive,, but that is bound to change soon as most cars run now on low profile tires.

In the subject of wide tires on narrow rims, I noticed that modern tires must be constructed in a different way, as this days you will find rather wide tires fitted from factory on rather narrow rims what is in opposition to what was used to be done many years ago.

Depends what you mean by a 'Common Option' it certainly was not a Manufacturers Factory Option.

you are right, of course it was never a option by Triumph. I meant with "common option" that it was an after market option, that some TR-driver used this size on their car, even not many. That will be enough, now with Tonyloz there were 3 who did it. A photo just one would be great.

It will be interesting to see how much contact with the road the 205/70 makes across the tread. A stripe of rubber preservative across the tyre and a quick turn around the block will do the trick ;) . My money is on 2"+ ( 5cm ) aloft at anything over 24 psi.

Good for flotation when fording streams, etc. though ^_^ .

Cheers,

Tom

you are right, of course it was never a option by Triumph. I meant with "common option" that it was an after market option, that some TR-driver used this size on their car, even not many. That will be enough, now with Tonyloz there were 3 who did it. A photo just one would be great.

So what if I took a photo of my tyre and told you that it was taken in 1980?

I think the problem you will have is that people don't generally photograph their tyres and unless the photo was exactly front on, it would be difficult to tell a 205/70 from a 185/80

Just a random thought ?!?

Having filled out my first ever Technical Declaration to enter sprints etc this lists everything !!!

I also know modern cars do sprints etc in road going spec.

You say you were involved with Motorsport in the past would you be able to access the records from then ?

Would there be any records such as these tech dec. available to you- if such declarations were needed for "new" cars then ?

Like I say just a thought.

H

Hi Casar66,

Sorry that I can't help with any old pictures, but I do have a question for you. Can you advise if the issue of originality is only a matter of the TÜV test for German registered cars, or if this could have any impact on UK cars visiting, or passing through Germany? For example, would it be a problem if a UK car were to be involved in a traffic accident over there... or even if a Traffic Officer spotted/stopped the vehicle for whatever reason? I am sure that there are a lot of UK registered cars with Minilite look-a-likes, or Wolfrace etc which were not original equipment or size... is that a potential legal concern?

Regards Robin

Hi Casar66,

Sorry that I can't help with any old pictures, but I do have a question for you. Can you advise if the issue of originality is only a matter of the TÜV test for German registered cars, or if this could have any impact on UK cars visiting, or passing through Germany? For example, would it be a problem if a UK car were to be involved in a traffic accident over there... or even if a Traffic Officer spotted/stopped the vehicle for whatever reason? I am sure that there are a lot of UK registered cars with Minilite look-a-likes, or Wolfrace etc which were not original equipment or size... is that a potential legal concern?

Regards Robin

As long as you have declared them to your insurance company then it shouldnt be any problem

Stuart.

Hello Robin,

good question. Honestly, I do not know for sure. Let me just guess: If you are involved in an accident and your tires are worn down (correct english?) you will have trouble. especially if a person is injured in that accident. Then the authorities will check your car with "deutsche Gründlichkeit", thats for sure. No matter from where you are and where your care is registered. And if they find out that the rims your are using on your TR are not according even to the UK-law you are in trouble.

I need just the photos or any other evidence to ensure my historical number plate which has many advantages (e.g. you driving even without catalyst in any zone, cheaper insurance, et cetara). They will accept only if the car and any installed part is original or was available for this car at its building time (plus 10 years). After the "historical correctness" is proofed then it comes to question if the installed parts are technical-legal. It sounds more complicated then it is in practice. For example I drive every 2 years to the authorities I know to get my TÜV (MOT). With wider tiires, with minilite-styled-rims, with the wrong steering wheel, and some more and do I ever have problems to get the MOT? No, never. But what happened if I am involved in an accident? Because of that remaining risk I try to get everything officially registered instead a like due a personal relationship with a guy from the authorities (hopefully you undestand what I mean, the language ..)

@Hamish,

I try but in Germany no one races on TR6 in officially registered races of the german motorsport federation in these days. Nowadays yes, but not in the 70s. And the next point: the authorities want to see the tires used not only on racetracks but on public roads. So my hope is/was to get pictures e.g. of the annual meetings of a TR-Club, or magazines form these times. I found one wonderful picture of a TR6 wearing 205er tires in a car-magazine but this was from 1989,not from 1968 - 1986. I am also co-Author of a big car-enzyclopedia in 1990s here in Germany and I wrote all the articles of the cars of the 60s, even that of the TR6. But even in the archive of the publisher I did not find anything.

Stuart & Casar66. Thanks for the replies... My TR, which is a 4A, has had telescopic rear dampers since around 1979, but the design (which I think was the only one sold by C&B at the time and is still available) is much simpler than the TÜV approved alternative now offered by Moss etc. Hence my concern. However, from what you are saying, it seems that a UK vehicle would not have problems if the modifications are UK legal, declared for Insurance and are maintained in good condition. Hope that this continues in the uncertain future.

Being a 4A owner I have not accumulated any pictures for TR6s. My only thoughts are:

Is there any record of pictures used in TRAction; are there any Register TR6 archivists out there?

Have you tried contacting one of the well established stockists for classic car tyres and wheels? For example, in the UK we have Longstone Tyres. I think that Wolfrace wheels were mentioned by one of your previous respondents... Maybe you could find one of these with a long memeory or some historical records... anyone in the Register have any personal contacts with these sort of companies? However, if you were lucky to find something, then you would have to be prepared to receive news that your combination is definitely not recommended ! Good Luck

• 1 month later...

did not get any picture in the meantime. But I got new tyres last week in 205/70 R15H. They are from Taiwan, maxxis victra MA510. more or less cheap (200 GBP for all four, but really not bad. In dry conditions not far away from the Pirelli P4000 if not match them. Could not test it in wet conditions. Apart of that: purchase tip!

My TR6 has had 205/60 since 1977 on Corbra Super Slots. The road speed as on my speedo is exactly the same as my Sat/Nav! Wear pattern on the tyres is the same right across the tread. Pressure is 26 psi front, rear 30 psi as per Dunlop at the original time of purchase of the original tyres, years ago.

Bruce.

My TR6 has had 205/60 since 1977 on Corbra Super Slots.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce, what width of wheel do you have?

Cheers

Graeme

If there is trouble to get wider tyres road legal in Germany it is better

to change the TÜV than to search for photos.

It is absolutely not a problem to get them road legal with "H" certificate.

At the German TR-Register there are data sheets availiable that already

offer the 205/65 15 as a possible tyre solution.

205/65 is the better tyre in my opinion because 205/70 gets rare in these days

and 205/65 is the normal tyre for some VW Golf for example. You will still get that

size in 10 years without problems.

It is better to rely on a common tyre that is properly developed for a modern car

than on an "old" size that is kept alife for making some profit.

Typical for solutions that can be better is the 185 15 series that all can not

be compared with the modern 205/65 specially when wet.

I tried several sizes, also the Michelin XAS, some American tyres up to 245/60 14

but today I rely on 215/55 16 on the V8 with 7" rims and 205/65 15 on 6" rims

on the TR6. 195/65 15 was also a perfect solution but the problem was that

the wheelarches are not filled and after lowering the car to reduce the free space

the car was too close to the road.

The Triumph competition is on 205/60 15 with a soft race compound.

But the modern sizes with the lower heights are all look ugly on a TR. So as long I can get tires with heights 70 and higher I will use them. And today you can get these tires still in good quality. The German TR-Register is unfortunately no TÜV, it has more ore less a recommendation character.

As others have said, in the late '70s / early '80s about the only 15 inch tyres available were either for the XJ6 or 2CV.

Heres a picture of my 4A in 1980 with 205/70 on the back.

Jerry

Edited by jerrytr5

Thank you Jerry, another argument for my TÜV-guy. In the meantime he accepts more and more the historical correctness of this tire-size. Now I am working on his permission for my CV-Minilite-rims.

hi guys,

I have 195 70 15s on revolutions on my tr, not my choice. Im thinking of putting wires on the car, not definitely decided with wires or the originals, any feed back appreciated. If i go for wires could i use my tires i have, they are in very good condition. Im worried they may look to chunky for the wires?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Tonymac,

195s may be a tad oversize for 5-1/2" wide wheels.

If you want period looks, fantastic performance and original diameter nothing beats the 165-15 Michelin XAS unless it were their XVS.

I just ordered (5) 185/70 Michelin XWX for my Webered '250 with its 3.45:1 diff - same diameter as the P.I. cars' original tyres. ( Couldn't use the 165s because the wheels are 6" wide. ) The price here in the 'States just dropped $100 per :unsure: .

Cheers,

Tom

I have fitted Maxxis tyres to my modern vehicle after they were recommended to me... I had never heard of them before and assumed they were some budget tyre junk until I researched the company. I have been very impressed with them so I am going to fit Maxxis MA510 VICTRA 87T 165/80/15 on my Steel wheeled TR6

• 1 month later...

had a meeting with the german authorities (TÜV) today. The guy there will accept the 205/70 R15 tyres as "historical correct". He would even accept my Minator Centre-Lock wheels if I can show him a certificate for exactly that type with the center lock, The certificate I have shown him was not especially for centre lock (see attachment) Does anybody has that kind of certificate for a KN Minator 5,5* R15 Centre Lock?

Thanks

Carsten

Yes, sorry for that. I just copied and pasted it, but it did not work.

Now I attached it. I have found some of these certificates but no one is especially for the centre-locks.

EDIT: No, teh attachement will not work either.

hm..

Edited by Casar66