205/70 R15 on TR6 in the 70s?

Hi there,

I am looking for some evidences that tyres with that size was in use on a TR6 within the building period of the TR6 (plus 10 years), means from 1968-1976/86. I want to use this size on my originally 5,5" rims (or an centre-lock Minilite) and the german TÜV (Mot) says ok, you can use the tyres, but show me that the 205/70 was a common option on a TR6 in these days. It is not enough that these tyres of this size were available (what they were, I guess standard on E-types), I need some historical picture, pricelists, reports, certificates or something like that.

Also very helpful would be the same for centre-lockwheels in Minilite-stlye. I have to proof that at TR6-driver could order/buy/drive them in the period between 1968 - 1976/86.

Who can help me with that?

Kind regards

Cas

I don't have any historic evidence.

However we did have a customer that insisted on fitting 205/70VR15 tyres, against our strong recommendations, and of course heaving a 205 section didn't handle very well, but with the 70% profile it also rubbed.

My understanding is that it could be different for US cars. in that they might have been set up to fit a bigger tyre.

I don't have any historic evidence.

However we did have a customer that insisted on fitting 205/70VR15 tyres, against our strong recommendations, and of course heaving a 205 section didn't handle very well, but with the 70% profile it also rubbed.

My understanding is that it could be different for US cars. in that they might have been set up to fit a bigger tyre.

Yeah the US cars use a larger 185/80 tyre which is more difficult to get, most alternatives are van tyres Apart from the vedrestein sprint tyres.

I would also add American Racing Equipment (ARE) for aftermarket rims. These were offered thru dealerships in the US as factory options for alloy wheels, so seems they would qualify. I'd have to check, but believe they are listed in the parts book as well. Certainly in Kas Kastners "Triumph TR-6 Competition Preparation Manual" the official Triumph book from the head of their race team here in the US. Not sure if he lists tire size in there but does list the rims.

Edited by YankeeTR5