123 distributor, ignition advance curve choice

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to fit my TR6 PI with the 123 ignition distributor (number 8898 without vacuum port).

As you know, it has 16 pre-memorized curves selectable by a rotary switch.

My car configuration is basically stock CP 150bhp, original Lucas injection, fitted with a sport exhaust.

By watching the original ignition curve of the lucas 22D distributor on the manual, the most similar curve of the 123 distributor seem to be the number 0 (zero).

There is someone with more experience than me that it's using my same configuration? Which curve you have chosen on 123 ignition?

Matteo,

If it pinks upon flooring the throttle it can be cured with this curve (devised by a professional auto-engineer ) and run on 95RON octane.

http://prntscr.com/e8tscc

Peter

As always very professionals! Thanks!

I will start with B curve like Neil advice.

Also the Peter advice it's to take into consideration.

Sometimes with old distributor i've had problems with engine knocking/pinking but up to now i've not understand if it's related with fuel mixture, advance curve, intake temperature........ i must to understand....the last time i've found the spark plugs dry fouled...

As always very professionals! Thanks!
I will start with B curve like Neil advice.
Also the Peter advice it's to take into consideration.
Sometimes with old distributor i've had problems with engine knocking/pinking but up to now i've not understand if it's related with fuel mixture, advance curve, intake temperature........ i must to understand....the last time i've found the spark plugs dry fouled...

Matteo, The Lucas PI lacks a 'throttle pump' to squirt extra fuel when suddenly opening the throttle.To try to compensate the PI idle mixture has to be set rich, to keep the manifold walls wet with fuel. If the wall dries out at tickover the pinking/knock can occcur upon flooring the throttle suddenly. I've explained how a throttle pump prevents this manifold fuel-octane fractionation here: slides 91-99.

https://supertrarged.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/combustion-talk-iwe-2016-v2-ppt.ppt

Its described in the textbooks of slide 4.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Yes setting B and supermarket jungle juice. Put it all together right and it will be quite happy at that.

Stuart.