Electrickery Mystery!

Hello Folks

I started the TR last weekend without difficulty after the winter layup. All OK.

Decided to start her again this weekend and just got a click from the starter motor(?) and the engine would not turn at all.

I searched this site and others.

With my limited and electrical knowledge I have tried the following:

Recharged the battery

I connected a direct cable from the positive terminal to the engine suspecting dodgy earth connection - no change in the symptoms

Measured voltage across the solenoid terminals with ignition on, it showed 12 volts

Measured voltage across the solenoid terminals with ignition off, it showed 12 volts

The solenoid readings seem unexpected?

Tried to used the manual solenoid starter

Turned headlights on with ignition on, barely a glow from the bulbs, just enough to light the side lights.

Cleaned the positive battery connections.

Turned the starter motor manually with socket on the square nut on the end, which turns both ways freely.

Ignition light shines brightly when first turned on, but barely lights at all after first attempt to start.

All of the above achieved nothing.

So my friends I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions, in anticipation many thanks.

John

Hi John,

agree with Andy

the click showed that the battery had enough power for the solenoid coil. However when the motor took the remaining current it was killed.

The 12v across the solenoid is normal - you are measuring from battery (one side) to earth (through the starter motor.

Either buy a new battery or give the existing on a serious charge.

Roger

Hi, whereabouts in Suffolk are you? I'm in Suffolk (Lowestoft).

Just out of interest is the car still on a dynamo or have you converted to an alternator?

I agree it seems like the battery but if one of the diodes goes down in an alternator almost the entire charge in the battery will drain away over a couple of days through the alternator body. The deep state of discharge will kill a battery.

Cheers,

Steve

Hello Folks.

Many thanks for all your responses, as ever you are brilliant.

I have bought a new battery, fitted it this morning, and all is well with the world! Of course you all diagnosed the problem straightaway. I had no idea that battery power could just fall off a cliff as it did. I had had no symptoms at all, and as I mentioned the car started perfectly a week before.

You live and you learn!

Thanks again chaps, and I hope not to trouble you for a wee while!

John

It does sometimes happen. I had a Rover SD1 many years ago, parked up at Wimbledon Stadium to watch some stock car racing, Came back a couple of hours later, Battery completely dead, & no I had not left anything switched on. Got a jump start, & drove home, switched off, then on - still nothing.

Bob.