Has anyone had any experience with fibre glass back light using the Perspex rather than glass? I would be interested in any suggestions to quality of fit etc etc cheers Andy

Has anyone had any experience with fibre glass back light using the Perspex rather than glass? I would be interested in any suggestions to quality of fit etc etc cheers Andy

Yep thats what I have, bought the two parts separately, bought the perspex uncut from Honeybourne and using an original glass trimmed it to match, trimmed the lip on the frame to 10mm and then using a new Moss rubber and Sikaflex sealant that is used for bonded screens bonded it in. I also bonded a section of wood in across the top of the frame so I could mount a high level brake light and an interior light. I used the new headlining kit from Moss for the inside and spent some time with the extrior paint work. Now finished unless you actually tap the screen you cant tell the difference between it and an original except the cost!

Obviously the perspex will scratch but good quality plastic polish like Greygate etc will keep it in good condition.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Ah that sounds great and a way ahead. Thanks Stuart.

Apologies for the slight hijack but Stuart, what wheels are you running?

They are the original K&N model, an exact copy of the old Minilite design. Unfortunately I dont think you can get the same design any more. They are much stronger than pretty much all the current copies. To get the same now you would need to buy proper Minilites and they arent cheap.

Stuart.

@ Chris, John Brown wheels are, according to my experience, really solid.

They are available from a supplier who is always at the Stoneleigh show : I don't remember his name, sorry, but you will find him easily, as he sell only wheels and wheels accessoiries !

@ Chris, John Brown wheels are, according to my experience, really solid.

They are available from a supplier who is always at the Stoneleigh show : I don't remember his name, sorry, but you will find him easily, as he sell only wheels and wheels accessoiries !

Midland Wheel Supplies.

If you look at the back side of the wheels on the better ones there is a double web extending from each spoke back into the rim and the rim fills in between each spoke, The last lot of JB wheels I looked at dont have this and one good kerbing will break them I reckon. Beware the set of 4 for about £250 or so.

Stuart.

Stuart, sorry for the diversion but what make/model are your wing mirrors?

They are these. http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/chrome-rectangular-pedestal-mirror-135mm

Which are an exact copy of the ones it came back from America with although those were Mazak.

I like them and they give a good field of view.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I forgot to ask, do they have flat or convex mirrors?

They are flat, Im not keen on convex as the distortion alters your distance perception.

Stuart.

Hey guys how many subjects do you want to discuss on the plastic surrey top thread? Lol. It's quite easy to start another thread...........

Hey guys how many subjects do you want to discuss on the plastic surrey top thread? Lol. It's quite easy to start another thread...........

Its an age thing! :lol:

Stuart.

I'm sure that is a line from a Bob Dylan (I have my tickets) early number. Didn't it have doves in it as well.

Roger

I know what happens to Spartacus and I think he definitely is Spartacus.

Mick Richards

Hi peejay, no dramas on my part,all I wanted to know was about surrey backlights, Stuart kindly gave some information on that particular subject, so when people post on that thread that I created, I was rather hoping they had something to contribute to it otherwise what's the point of having different subjects? As you know it isn't hard to start another. Cheers Andy