J type Overdrive

Yes that might be a reason.

Look for an exchange to test and buy the proper spanner.

Also from the bottom three plugs can be opened after

removing the bottom plate.

Its the filter, the pump and the pressure valve.

One will be very surely the culprit, I bet its the valve.

Thanks to you both for your replies. I'm going to do a pressure test soon and I will ask around in our club if anybody has a spare working solenoid. Even recon solenoids are not cheap and I'm trying hard not to buy a recon overdrive just in case it is the solenoid.

Regards Brian

Nick,

There is some miss infromation regarding A Type v J Type stated in the buckeye data?

The A Type works differently to the J Type. A Type is slam engagement and has an accumulator to store the pressurised oil. When the TR4 IRS came out, UJs were knocked out in the drive-train and diff mounts ripped out! This problem was well known at the time. Therefore there were plenty of warranty claims and the A type was modified quickly to cut down the size of accumulator and slow down the speed of operation. This mod was never 100%. Therefore it was heavier built than the J Type which is much kinder to the transmission as it works on the slipping clutch principle, no accumulator! Hence Volvo sort of force Laycock down the J Type route as they still did not like the slam of the A Type! They also covered incredible mileages with the J Type often 250k miles, mine lasted 42 years, I only overhauled it because the lay shaft/needle bearings went in the gear-box, the usual TR gear-box fault.

BL did not fit O/D to second gear on the J Type as they still remembered the saga of the A Type?

Yes you can fit O/D on 2nd gear on a J Type! I just removed the blanking plug and put a s/w in! But that might have been that BL were using up their old stock of gear box covers, as my car was manufactured in Feb. 1973?

Bruce