Anyone for a 5?

Why are the previous owners all esquires instead of plain old "misters"? Does esq add perceived value?

I sent the link to my friend Peter who's currently rebuilding #5, the first LHD car. And given Peter's resto skills (won the Dutch National, was runner-up last year and won the International with his TR4), he's going to put a great car on the road.

Pics here: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/49128-very-early-lhd-tr5-to-be-restored/

80K sounds like a lot, but with the correct advertising and the right spot to display it, it will be possible. Not in Europe, but east of the Ural Mountains is enough money to burn.

Menno

EDIT: My friend replied to my message, saying: 'This car was NOT on the London Motorshow. And under the bonnet, things do not look very nice. However, this might be the only -more or less- original 5 for sale at the moment in Europe, all others are 'upgraded' 250s.

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

A bit of a curate's egg. Pretty impeccable provenance but with some really strange 'features' in the details, as has been mentioned. Also why oh why the anachronistic reflective number plates, which look completely wrong on the car? I know it's only a small thing but how much better the car would present with period plates.

Tim

Not so much to nitpick besides the unpainted wing beads and missing door top pads.

High time these and all TRs fetch prices in line with their contemporary sports car competitors. Alfa Guilias, Porsche 356s and AHs have long made TRs look like bargains. I reckon the modern lines of the TR6 with nearly 100K built have kept a lid on values, and likely will for the foreseeable future, especially since the woefully dog-slow Federal TR6s are the norm - nothing a wholesale conversion to triple Webers wouldn't cure though ^_^ .

Some TR5s and TR4s have already fetched such money in the U.S., sans such " provenance ".

Cheers,

Tom

There is no reasoning as to classic car values.

Healeys rose in value quite steeply.

I had an sp250, and given the numbers made and that lovely v8 they should be worth more. If I had the space I would have kept it. To sit along side my newly acquired TR. I understand that the looks aren't to everyone's taste nor the fibreglass body. Nothing to be scared of.

H

Does being one of the First Production cars really warrant such a high price?

I don't think so, there's a short video on YouTube of the 1967 Motor Show and the features a White with Red Interior TR5, is this one still around I wonder?

Gary