LED replacement bulbs for rear lamps

Interesting!

How is this on the car?

Hi Edwin.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know how these fit into the lamp units ?

post-12009-0-81412000-1500102050_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-88691700-1500102141_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-50577000-1500102491_thumb.jpg

My standard bulb in L549 Stop / Number plate fitted, but without shield Stop / number plate right way up

The copper shield on the stop / number plate bulb serves two purposes, it acts as a heat sink to keep the circuit cool, & it shields the white number plate light from showing through the cover as red.

So with tail lights on you get only light from the two sides, then when braking all three come on bright.

Regarding the Stop / Tail / Flash bulb, it fits in the L549 housings same as above, and you then add a wire from the brake light circuit (pickup from the center brake light) to connect with the flying wire from the bulb. The electronics in the bulb does the rest.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Hi Edwin.

Answering you PM here to save me repeating it to other "Interested parties" !

I will have to get a new batch of circuit boards made before I can supply any more of these, as I have now run out (assuming Peter still wants his two made) This will take a few weeks, also as I said in my post I will be making a few changes to the board design.

Cost:

For TR3A Stop / Tail bulbs £20 pair

For TR2 or TR3 Flash / Tail bulbs £20 pair Stop / Tail / Flash bulbs £30 a pair Centre stop / Number plate bulb £20 each

Note if going for LED flasher bulbs the flasher relay needs to be changed. these are circa £11 from other manufacturers

I am happy to obtain these, & send as a set

I am charging the component costs + around 40% (to cover the cost of the PCB manufacture, I don't charge for my labour)

If that is OK, & if Peter also wants his, then it would be worth while going for more boards, if not then I will probably hold fire till more requests come in (demand has dropped off recently !)

Cheers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hi Bob

I'll have some of these if you make more. I'll drop you a PM when i have decided whether to go for the stop/tail/flash or just the flash/tail and centre stop/number plate on my TR2.

Cheers

Rog

OK that's swung it then, another batch on the way !

Need to know +ve or -ve earth, & address of course for all requests.

Something I am pondering at the moment - for the Stop / Tail / Flash bulbs , with the extra wire - would it be useful to make the extra wire long enough to feed through the lamp fitting, & then all the way to the centre stop lamp position where it can be connected to the green / purple wires ?

Opinions welcome

Bob.

Bob, interested too, have to figure out what to do with the relay, as i'm using the original flasher unit because of the concours thing ....

For the extra wire, i think that would be useful for some, i ordered my harnass with extra wires for this purpose so wont need those.

Edwin.

If you are -ve earth then this would do the job:

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=495

If +ve then it will still work, but will not drive the dashboard flasher bulb.

Another way round would be to leave the original flasher relay in position with "dummy" wires on it, & have a modern relay hidden under the dashboard doing the work.

Bob.

Just wanted to update everyone on the great LED lights that Bob has designed for those of us with only a single centre brake light. I have installed his centre LED light as well as the two running/signal LED lights with the latest provision to activate all three of the rear lights as brake lights. Installation was easy and I am extremely happy with the result. I had previously installed an additional LED brake light below my licence plate as I was a bit nervous in traffic at night. I may remove that as I'm not sure it is now necessary. The LEDs that Bob has built are very bright during the day and of course exceptional at night. This is a great safety upgrade in my opinion. Thanks very much for creating and sharing these Bob.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Mike Graham

Bob,

i'd like to order at least 2 complete sets for TR2 ( Stop / Tail / Flash bulbs and Centre stop / Number plate bulb) and another for a tr3a so only the Stop / Tail set.re

one of the tr2 sets can be supplied with the longer wire to the centre. mine is already prepared for that.

cheers,

edwin

Hi Edwin.

You don't say if you want -ve or +ve earth - they are not interchangeable.

I am part way through the design of the updated circuit board, then I will have to get a batch (100) made, so there will be a delay.

If you give me your exact requirements I will send any which I have left in stock soon, & the rest later.

Cheers

Bob.

Edwin,

What happened to the extra LEDs that you glued in the upper part of the corner red lenses that you showed us in your restoration?

I did the same and they certainly give brilliant light.

By the way you are a household name in our house as I frequently refer to your restoration as I persevere with mine.

Thank you for all the effort you put into recording and showing your progress. I don't think mine will come up as well as yours.

Cheers

Ji m

Edwin.

I can supply you with 1 pair of stop / tail / flash bulbs, & 1 pair of stop / tail bulbs now.

If you PM me your address I can get them off straight away.

The 2nd pair of S.T.F bulbs & the centre stop / number plate bulbs will take longer as I have to await delivery of a set of "Mk2" circuit boards

Bob.

Edwin,

What happened to the extra LEDs that you glued in the upper part of the corner red lenses that you showed us in your restoration?

I did the same and they certainly give brilliant light.

By the way you are a household name in our house as I frequently refer to your restoration as I persevere with mine.

Thank you for all the effort you put into recording and showing your progress. I don't think mine will come up as well as yours.

Cheers

Ji m

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the compliment !! Honored to hear you refer to my project !

I was really fun to do, including the reporting about the work we did on the tr2.

About the leds, they still work fine ! I think when compared to the brightness of Bob's leds, his leds will be more bright. I do like the solution Bob did on the centre light, so i just like to do the whole set :)

But my solution is a simple trick which works too.

cheers !

Edwin.

I can supply you with 1 pair of stop / tail / flash bulbs, & 1 pair of sp / tail bulbs now.

If you PM me your address I can get them off straight away.

The 2nd pair of S.T.F bulbs & the centre stop / number plate bulbs will take longer as I have to await delivery of a set of "Mk2" circuit boards

Bob.

Hi Bob,

what is the E.T.A. of the others ? i think shipment to the netherlands as a lot would be cheaper :)

Edwin.

I have been quoted 4 weeks to deliver the new boards. If they come within that time then I should be able to get them out by the 18th August.

If they are longer than that, then as I am on holiday from the 19th for a week it will be after that.

Will keep all you posted.

Bob.

It's coming alive, after 40+ years my TR2 is slowly coming alive, just about finishing checking out the electrics and also turned the engine around for the first time with the starter today. Bobs LEDs work great, rear/flasher lights and the single brake/number plate light (not in the video)

https://youtu.be/C7EdI5JFOOU

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, Peter, & Martin, you bulbs are on their way

Edwin will post yours out tomorrow.

I'm pleased with the new PCB's better layout making assembly easier.

post-12009-0-07412000-1502108008_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-94769600-1502108008_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-67924800-1502108009_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-49123200-1502108010_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-49346000-1502108011_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-29702500-1502108012_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hi Bob,

thats great news ! so they were in earlier ?

means i can use them in the 10CR !

we have the other tr2 set i already got from you running. very bright and shiny !

Does this include the 2 replacement center leds?

Edited by EdwinTiben

Hi Bob,

thats great news ! so they were in earlier ?

means i can use them in the 10CR !

we have the other tr2 set i already got from you running. very bright and shiny !

Does this include the 2 replacement center leds?

Sure does (see photo 3 above before copper shield is fitted) post-12009-0-08899500-1502106348_thumb.jpg :)

Can't send yours today because I am using them in a demo to our local Austin 7 club tonight ! Have made up a simple test jig.

Filament bulb on left, LED on right LED centre

post-12009-0-92714100-1502111213_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-45730100-1502111214_thumb.jpg Camera rather overloaded with light I'm afraid.

Stop Tail & number plate

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

great !

is the copper plate included or is that something to be on the list for us :)

No, it's included, I fold it up for posting, you just have to unfold before fitting.

I will send full fitting instructions on a PM when I have posted.

Bob.