LED replacement bulbs for rear lamps

….and while you are at it fit twin filament side indicator lamps with clear lenses to the rear with the  amber/white LED bulbs https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/sidelight-bulbs/products/bay15d-1157-white-and-amber-tail-sidelight-and-indicator-combined-led-380  And wire in a pair of reversing lights.    Saves additional lamps and wiring to go outside. 
The tail of my car with the set up.

AEBBFB62-F868-437B-82DC-9A0EAAA1BEBD.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All
Having just read the latest TR action, I note that TS2 is being considered for LED lighting conversion.
As many of you know, I have been making special LED conversion bulbs specifically for the rear of sidescreen TR's.
I have now made & supplied over 100 sets to, mainly Forum users, but also a few "outsiders", all have been very impressed with them.
I would be happy to provide a set of these to fit to TS2.
Also Having dealt with a number of commercial LED bulb suppliers, I can highly recommend using Duncan at classiccarleds.co.uk
For the other bulbs, I can specify which ones would best suit TS2, & can obtain them if required. An LED compatible flasher unit would also be required, again Duncan's firm can provide a proven high quality one.

Phil Tucker is apparently looking into the best supplier for these, but as I don't have Phil Tuckers contact details, but perhaps somebody could forward this to him.

Bob Le Brocq

22 hours ago, Lebro said:

Phil Tucker is apparently looking into the best supplier for these, but as I don't have Phil Tuckers contact details, but perhaps somebody could forward this to him.

Done. 

Originality isn’t my thing but in this instance would it be possible to fit the electronic giblets into an original casing?

Edited by Drewmotty

Received this reply from Phil:

Hi Andy 
I don’t so the Forum so could you please reply on my behalf.
Im just fitting the LEDs on TS2 The Directors and TS2s guardian Julian Taylor made the decision on who would supply the units. 
All the best 
Phil

There’s a missed opportunity for having the forum and members involved. :rolleyes:

Bobs set up and involvement would have been a nice and inclusive touch by the club on “our” asset.

ah well. 

Edited by Hamish
1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

Received this reply from Phil:

Hi Andy 
I don’t so the Forum so could you please reply on my behalf.
Im just fitting the LEDs on TS2 The Directors and TS2s guardian Julian Taylor made the decision on who would supply the units. 
All the best 
Phil

How completely unusual that the forum is ignored by management again. Twas ever thus.:angry:

Stuart.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:05 AM, Ian Vincent said:

FWIW, I have LED bulbs for my front indicators but normal filament bulbs in the indicators at the rear of my TR3a. It means I can use a regular flasher unit. 

Rgds Ian

Thanks, That interesting to learn..  I've only just come to this thread and have yet to read the first six pages, so I apologise if the topic has already been covered...   I presume it works because the flasher unit requires so resistance feedback, or whatever, and so the single filament-bulb at the rear provides that.  I presume if that filament bulb blows the indicators simply don't work, as usual, but do the front LED bulbs get damaged ?

Pete

Edited by Bfg

"Normal" (as in original to tr's)  flasher unit relies on a bimetalic strip heating up as a result of current passing through it.  The more current the hotter it gets, & so the flash rate slows down, as it takes longer to recover. Fitting one filament bulb & one LED type will result in a flash rate a bit faster than usual, but probably acceptable. two LED bulbs would make it flash even faster, or not at all.

I would always recommend a modern led compatible unit as the flash rate is constant.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

This is the one I always recommend / supply.

13 minutes ago, Bfg said:

FWIW, I have LED bulbs for my front indicators but normal filament bulbs in the indicators at the rear of my TR3a. It means I can use a regular flasher unit. 

I presume it works because the flasher unit requires so resistance feedback, or whatever, and so the single filament-bulb at the rear provides that.  I presume if that filament bulb blows the indicators simply don't work, as usual, but do the front LED bulbs get damaged ?

Pete

The standard bi-metallic flasher unit works on bulb current.  The current heats a bimetallic strip which bends, so breaking the contact. as it cools down the contact is re-made and the cycle repeats.  It is designed to work with the current of two bulbs, one front and one rear and the rate of switching will be different if it is powering only one bulb.  That 'feature' means you can tell when you have a blown bulb because the flash rate changes. 

Some LED suppliers will sell you resistors which can be fitted in parallel so the original flasher unit still works. I've never seen the point of that since the whole idea is surely to reduce bulb current drain. Far better to fit an LED compatible flasher unit. 

Edit-  I see Bob bet me by seconds....!

Edited by RobH
12 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

But having made the decision to modify it, who else supplies the LED bulbs for the rear lights with the light platten set at the correct angle. I thought they were a Bob special that only he could supply. 

Rgds Ian

There may be hope yet.  Had a (very) long chat with Phil this morning, he is trying to fit the already purchased bulbs to TS2 and is not that happy with them.

I am going to send him a set of mine, & he will take it from there (politics permitting !)

Bob

I wonder why some people on the forum jump to conclusions that the "management" or "committee" get involved in decisions like choosing bulbs for TS2. Neither Phil nor Julian are part of any committee, just volunteers trying to do a good job for the club based upon their own knowledge and experience. Great shame that 97% of members are not regulars on the forum and therefore don't see the benefits of the forum, despite John's brilliant efforts trying to sell it to the masses.

I hope that Phil does fit Bob's recommended LEDs as I am convinced they are the best around. Happy customer, no commercial relationship, no commission.

Now back in my box, lid on.

Mick

Not wishing to get involved in the politics :ph34r: but -

Speaking to Phil this morning, he said that he had no say in the choice, he was told what to fit. (I don't know who by)

Bob

As far as I can remember…….

Bobs centre stop lamp LED would be ideal.  The outer lamps on TS 2 have the bulbs in holders set perpendicular to the chrome bases not lying flat along the base as the later cars have.  The bulb holder pokes into the boot area like the centre stop lamp holder.

0FC8F94E-56F0-4456-BAA0-2B29A76BE4CB.jpeg

That's odd, talking to Phil today He was saying the opposite ? maybe I miss heard.

I have (I believe) the same lights ( L471) on my Hillman, they are at the same angle as the later L549 lamps.

L471.thumb.JPG.a8c1b490b43a5a55a130960e669982ed.JPG   1467299081_6VStopledonLeft.thumb.JPG.a302c9bcf365089e8a7f306b2909dc5c.JPG  

If you are right Peter I would have to make a couple of specials, but that would be OK.

They would look similar to the center stop / number plate bulb, but not have any white LED's,

& would have the extra circuitry to include the brake light feature.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Spoken to Phil.

Ironically TS2 was fitted with repro rear lamps, with the angled down bulb holder, but he has altered them to be horizontal in order to fit the bulbs he had been given to use, as they were no good as they were. !  So I now will make another pair to fit the modified repro lamp.   Ahrrrrrrrrr !

Never mind, the others can go into stock.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Decided not to make the specials to fit TS2's (now modified to take other LED bulbs) rear tail lamps for the following reason:

Roughly half way down the red glass lens of the repro units (which I belive TS2 is fitted with) is a moulded magnifying lens, which is on the same horizontal plane as the filament in the original bulb position (sloping downwards). Phil has re-positioned the bulb holder to be nearer the top (I assume) & now horizontal. Thus the bulb filament (or LED cluster) will now not be in line with the magnifying lens.
With this setup any bulb I make will perform no better than any other, as the light source is in the wrong place. This maybe is why Phil was dissapointed in the results he got.

1640685909_L471lensinside.thumb.jpg.f5752f8e7b46f83d8ba1cf8390388a34.jpg    2145561079_L471lensoutside.thumb.jpg.debfc8c5e4d5241cce4e89e64fcde290.jpg  

I have made the 2 bulbs to fit the lamps units prior to modification, & will send them to Phil, he can then decide whether to undo the mod, & fit them, now, later, or never !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro