LED replacement bulbs for rear lamps

Hi All,

Bob supplied me with bulbs for the rear tail/indicator and the centre brake/number plate. They work very well on my early long door car. Massive improvement. Indicator warning light now works perfectly and the relay is an exact replica of the original. I also followed Bobs lead and got some for the front which are white side/orange indicator. The front side lights have flat glass covers not beehive and as a result the light doesnt defuse much but are still much better than the old ones. Bobs a genius!

Regards, Pete

No, I'm not !! just a retired engineer with too much time on his hands :P

Re above post, I did not supply the LED compatible flasher unit that came from Gil at "bettercarlighting"

Pete, why not change your front lights to the beehive sort, much better visibility.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I might have to. I'm going to push it out tonight and see what there like in the dark. They are bright but the end of the bulb has a sort of lense on it and all I seem to get is that, not the diffused filling of the outer light lense. I just know when we set off this summer for Skye we will be stuck on the M6 in the dark and rain so I'm trying to make us as visible as I can. I've also ordered some Osram Nightbreakers bulbs to see if I can get the tripod headlights any better.

I used to worry a lot about keeping it original but I've concluded that if we are going to tour safely and reliably, changes must be made. The car is an ex race car and came with a number of non standard bits which I've retained so I figure a few more improvements won't hurt.

Regards, Pete

Hi Pete.

Is this the sort you got:

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=352

if so, the beehive lenses offer a good improvement.

Although you could fit beehive lenses direct to your lamp fitting, the bulb will be a long way back. Idealy you should change the whole fitting as well, this brings the bulb nearer to the front & so give better light out sideways.

Bob.

This is the sort of thing I bought for the TR3A.

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=585

I rang and spoke with Gil about the set up I was after and he solved by problem.

The front is white DRL with clear beehive lens and 27H5545 bulb holder, The white bit goes out when the amber LED indicator flashes.

Rear is again clear beehive lens using the amber LED flasher BUT I have wired the reverse lamps through the DRL bit - less clutter on the rear of the car.

The DRL control units come from TomTop in China http://www.tomtop.com/led-lights-1378/p-k1449.html

Cheers

Peter W

There seems to two or three different types of these dual colour bulbs from bettercarlighting

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=585

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=352

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=351

Petty sure I went for the middle one as above post for the front.

If I had a 3A I would do the same on the rear as you - good idea.

Bob.

PS the "DRL controller" would consist of 2 X diodes !

Edited by Lebro

I have the middle one and my only criticism is that they are a very 'white' white and not warm white. If I were replacing them it would be with the warm white variety.

Rgds Ian

PS Because I am still using conventional bulbs in my rear indicators, the flasher unit still works, it doesn't even flash very quickly which I must admit is what I would have expected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Renewed my TR insurance yesterday with Hagerty and surpise surprise, the fitting of LED rear lights caused no adverse comments. Indeed quite the opposite, as the cars visibility for other drivers has improved markedly the chance of a rear end shunt is much reduced and so is the insurers risk.

Edited by Paul Down
  • 1 month later...

In addition to post #42 und #62:

1) After a trip down to the Col de Turini the rest of our group did not complain about my break lights - but acknowledged that now my brakes can be seen in the sunlight.

2) My german TÜV (äquivalent to your MOT) accepted them as not being too bright.
Instead he complained about cars end bikes with modified (blackend, matted, micro sized) lights that lack brightness to be seen in daily traffic.

So again: Thanks for your "bright" idea !

Regards, Johannes

Glad to have been of service !

I will be taking a few of the bulbs to the IWE, both -ve & +ve earth, so if anyone else fancies a major rear lighting upgrade either PM me for my mobile No.

or leave a note on my blue TR3 in the Thames Valley Group camping area.

Also I can demonstrate my lights if required.

Bob.

Glad to have been of service !

I will be taking a few of the bulbs to the IWE, both -ve & +ve earth, so if anyone else fancies a major rear lighting upgrade either PM me for my mobile No.

or leave a note on my blue TR3 in the Thames Valley Group camping area.

Also I can demonstrate my lights if required.

Bob.

Hi Bob,should have it in the Top Hall giving a few Demos,I'm sure the Register can squeeze you in somewhere.

Niall.

a) Not sure if my car would fit in the hall

B) After the damming article in TRaction, I'm not sure "The Register" would support such a demo.

Demos will be on my car at the TVG camping area.

Bob.

Hi Peter.

I have made a few of these, they do take a lot longer, as the circuit board was not designed for this type, & I have to do quite a lot of hand mods,

including adding white leds for the number plate illumination.

Therefore I do have to charge more for these at present - £20 each I'm afraid.

If you still want some then I will make two up. Need to know +ve or -ve earth.

That will actually use up all the PCB's I had made (100) so I now have to decide whether there is enough demand left to have another batch made up.

Decisions decisions ! Advantage of making some more is that I can incorporate some extra features to allow easier construction of these special versions

i.e. the centre stop lamp, & the combined Stop / Tail / Flasher version for early sidescreens with only one brake light.

These are the ones which work as Tail lights, & Flashers as per normal, but also come on with the centre brake light. If braking & flashing at the same time then the flashing side continues to flash, & the other side remains on as a brake light. The Lucas D10 relay as used on early 1960's cars does this, but involves much re-wiring, & expense !

Bob.

post-12009-0-56343500-1500065893_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-91513900-1500065895_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-29821700-1500065932_thumb.jpg

Centre stop underneath Centre stop end Stop / Tail / Flash bulb

Edited by Lebro