J type OD gearbox conversion bracket

Hi,

Trying to fit the j type gearbox conversion bracket to my TR4.

Impossible to fit the exhaust through the chassis crossmember - should the conversion bracket have spacers fitted to raise the plate and gearbox a little higher.

Would this throw out the alignment of the transmission, or is this fairly forgiving in that respect.

Spacers appear to be my only option unless I can be advised otherwise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx Rob.

Hello Rob,

I have fitted a J type box to a TR3a and a TR6 using the Moss bracket without difficulty. The only snag I can remember was the excess length of the bolts sticking down into the exhaust space.

Could this be the problem? (to my knowledge all the chassis are the same in this area)

Good luck,

Willie

Rob

I had all sorts of issues doing this, but got there OK in the end - see my post dated 10 June 2016 titled" Difficulty fitting Stag Gearbox & J type Overdrive to a TR4" - I think it was in the TR4/4a forum - hopefully somebody more IT literate than me can post a direct link.

It is doable but fiddly and I had to modify my bracket quite a bit so that it fully cleared the OD unit sump and solenoid - this mainly involved some judicious grinding. I also had to elongate the mounting holes to line up with my chassis crossmemeber mountings and the bracket mounting hole itself - this had to be extended backwards.

I was definitely using the right mounting bracket as I also had a 4A mounting to compare it to ( thats another project!) - it came from a reputable source and I imagine it's the same bracket that Moss supply.

I was supplied with some heavy duty washers to pack between the mounting plate and the round rubber mounting but I could only get 3 in before I started running out of thread to fix the the nut on the bottom to hold it all together - I eventually got it all in and the end result is well worth it and doesn't appear to have any impact on the rest of the driveline - so yes jack up the rear with washers/spacers as appropriate - mind you real fiddle to get separate washers in place and all lined up!! .

I removerd the propshaft and the centre section of exhaust to make life easier - I also fabricated an exhaust mounting in place of the original gearbox mounting ( as there is nowhere for that to fit any more) from a piece of modified angle iron fixed under the offside cross member mounting bolts and then drilled to take a "U" shaped exhaust clamp - seems to work fine

Unfortunately, I can't get under my car to take some meaningful photos to help, but persevere and you will get there

Hope this helps cheers

Rich

CTM do a really nice gearbox adaptor plate for the J type overdrive. It fits and is very simple to install, no modifications/grinding/bending or other type of mullering required. Just take it out of the box, bolt it in place on the chassis and then install gearbox simples. I had a Moss adapdaptor plate, it went in the bin

cheers

Alan