New Repro Dash

HI Guys,

Thinking of buying a new replacement Dash in Walnut Burr. Moss dont have any stock and not sure when they will get any. Rimmers do have stock.

However does anybody have the name of the UK(?) supplier to Moss etc, might be worth an approach to see if cheaper?

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich,

TRShop do them in various grain etc. I'm sure they use the Classical Dash product.

I bought one last year and it looks very good.

My only criticism was that the lacquer was allowed to go down into all the fixing holes and had to be drilled out (very hard)

I then had to seal the edges with varnish before fitting to stop moisture getting under the lacquer.

Roger

I just purchased one from scparts.co.uk. for a 68

tr250.

looked great, but the rheostat hole was in the position for a latter dash. 72-76.

Not a big deal, went ahead with install. If you have installed one you know how long

it takes to hook up all the wires to the gauges and set the dash in.

Went to shut the glove box door and it would not shut. The lock body was hitting the catch on

the rear metal dash.

Upon inspection the hole for the lock was routed straight into the door. instead of being at a downward angle.

Just a side note; I have been working on and restoring TR6's for the last 20 years. I am in the USA.

I get on chat with a fellow called Chris @ scparts.

I tell him the story; I get the usual "we've never had this problem before.

We've sold 17 of these.

I am thinking "you must be getting tons of referrals."

I tell him I have installed quite a few dash boards and never had this problem either.

He then tells me everyone (suppliers) buy the dashboards from the same manufacturer.

I tell him I don't think so.

He says I can return the board and eat the return shipping.

I say can you check to see if they are all made that way.

He says "Not going to happen"

I say how about I just send the just door and an original so their manufacture can see how its suppose to be routed.

He says " No they are manufacture 700 miles away."

I ask to speak to his supervisor.

And then he ends the conversation.

That's when you want to reach through the screen and choke somebody.

Just the twit you need in customer service to get additional business.

I had been thinking of buying more of them if I could get that one problem solved and re-selling them.

Al Salvatore

Edited by 6parts

Hi Al,

welcome to the forum.

That supplier is a bit pricey and has problems now and then.

The manufacturer can't be 700 miles away as our little island isn't that big. The supplier would end up in John O'Groats - not 30 miles West of London.

Sometimes, especially overseas, it is easier to sort out your own problems - but it shouldn't be the case.

Roger

PS - just had a look at an original Standard TRiumph dash and it has a stepped appearance rather than angled.

However the step may/would produce the effect of a slope/angle

Edited by RogerH

HI Roger,

I am going to sort it out. I will have a friend who does carpentry take a look at it, Or I may have to fabricate a different catch.

They actually had a very good price on the dash.

But My thinking was if I was in the business of selling or manufacturing dashboards and I had a fit problem, I would certainly like to have

a look at an original piece to see what was up; especially if someone was willing to send it .

Yes the step does change the angle of the lock mechanism.

I wasn't sure if I was talking to someone in India (scparts) or the plant. Everything I ordered was shipped out of Germany.

Al

I did make a few dashes .I am a joiner. The worst part really was the glove box lock, tricky little bu..er.

Very difficult even with a sharp chisel to get the right profile , and finished smoothly.

I gave up making them as the time on each one was silly !

Len

Thats one of the reasons why I will never buy from them now, they used to be a good company years ago when I was buying parts from them regularly for Healeys but they got taken over by a German firm and its gone downhill ever since.

Stuart.

Thats one of the reasons why I will never buy from them now, they used to be a good company years ago when I was buying parts from them regularly for Healeys but they got taken over by a German firm and its gone downhill ever since.

Stuart.

+1 never again :angry:

Hi Guys,

So what about the ones from Moss? Has anybody has similar problems with those supplied by them. Apparently they are UK made. They have their winter sale on now so good time to buy although most of them are on back order.

Regards

Rich

The best dashes I've ever seen ( in 44 years of uninterrupted TR ownership ) are made by Prestige Autowood in California. Randy Keller, prop.

Pics of mine (2) have been posted on this forum so often I dare not affront the viewers with more!

The older of the (2) looks exactly as it did 20 years ago. Flawless fit, finish and absolutely minimal gap around the glove box lid. Exotic wood options you've never seen elsewhere.

I paid ~ $400 for the newer one in 2007.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Guys,

So what about the ones from Moss? Has anybody has similar problems with those supplied by them. Apparently they are UK made. They have their winter sale on now so good time to buy although most of them are on back order.

Regards

Rich

Post 2 and 3 faultless :)

Halfway house of restoring you existing dash can be very rewording.

Tim

+1 for Classical Dash. I collected mine from them in person and was shown around the premises by some really friendly people. I chose the burr elm dash with matching door cappings and were really pleased with he quality and fit. Clearly this is very subjective but take a look at the attached image which I hope might be helpful to you.

Best Regards, Peter

post-10724-0-48474700-1485532316_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Have been trying to make contact with Classic Dash all week, but can only get a recorded message asking to leave a message and they will ring back. After leaving several messages, still no reply, strange?

Anyway, have just purchased a Walnut burr dash from Rimmers on a sale or return basis, who had stock.

Moss could not give any real indication on when they expected stock, been on order since November. One good thing is that Rimmers were happy to price match Moss, who even though no stock, would accept a order at the current winter sale discount price which came out at £284 delivered. Bargain!

Cheers

Rich

Not wanting tot 'troll' this thread.

But am I the only one who thinks that the burr walnut dashes are 'over the top'? I spotted a totally unrestored, one owner since 1971 TR 6 today and the dash still looked very nice. With 'patina', sure. But not so 'camp' as the high gloss burr ones. If you want something else, why not try another sort of wood veneer? Teak, zebra, rosewood.

Menno

Hi Menno,

I know what you mean. However I find that TR5 & 6 dash was rather too cheap/plain compared to the 4A; looking like a sheet of ply wood.

There some nice wood grains out there - something for everybody.

Am I wanting to much 'hairdresser' styling; I don't think so as I also like my TR4 white metal dash.

Roger

Hi Guys,

Dont get me wrong, I dont think a glossy walnut burr looks right in a TR6. The lady who owns the car I'm fitting it to wants it, so each to her own. My 72 TR6 has an original dash that looks great and thats how it will stay. Wood door cappings were mentioned but I put her off those as they do look wrong and not original. At least the dash was always veneered, albet it a cheap choice of wood.

Rich