Good afternoon all

Due in part to the previous Mr Bodger I have decided to replace all the brake pipes, basically to tidy them up and clip them properly I have bought new Kunifer piping manufactured to BS EN12249 rated IIRC to 3150 psi. (I will test this at work....just because!). However the end fittings! There are brass and what looks like plated steel available. What is the consensus on the best to use? And, as mine is a late model 6 I need metric end fittings for the calipers but what about the rest of the system?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

out of curiosity could you test the pressure for copper brake piping.

There has been a great deal of ill informed chat on here for many years. It would be nice to know the facts.

I can't see that copper would be allowed to be sold for brakes if it was in anyway dodgy.

I can supply the pipe etc if you need it.

Roger

Hi Dave,

out of curiosity could you test the pressure for copper brake piping.

There has been a great deal of ill informed chat on here for many years. It would be nice to know the facts.

I can't see that copper would be allowed to be sold for brakes if it was in anyway dodgy.

I can supply the pipe etc if you need it.

Roger

Hi Roger

I do have some copper pipe 3/16 I'll take that in too!

Dave

Hi Roger

I do have some copper pipe 3/16 I'll take that in too!

Dave

And as a comparison will you also test the original fitment steel 'bundy' tubing. Be a good bench mark.

Some one out there does stainless steel end fittings for brake pipes. Automec http://www.automec.co.uk/collections/brass-fittings?page=6

I know a man who did the TR2/3 Lockheed BSF end fittings in stainless, but not UNF or Metric.

Peter W

@ Peter

Thanks for that site! I've just had a quick trawl through and answered my own Questions I think! Copper brake pipe has a maximum working pressure of quote: Recommended maximum working Lb/in3100 (214 Bar) so that implies its burst pressure is considerably higher. 1.5 times higher used to be a standard!

The end fittings Automec list are in the main Brass with just a smattering of stainless items so maybe I'll just go with those.

I see also that Cupro Nickel tubing has the same rating, so horses for courses I guess?

Dave

Don't know whether or not to invest in one of their flaring tools for 500quid!

Hi Dave,

having found the pipe max working pressure then there is no need to carry out tests. Would have been interesting though.

That flaring tool is very tempting but how many pipes will you be flaring in a lifetime.

Last summer in desperation I bought aver cheap Machine Mart flaring tool - promised everything for £20 - ddn't actually achieve anything.

Do not buy cheap. I'm sure I saw one at the NEC last year for about £130 that did all the flares. It is annoying though that you have to buy extra pipe size adaptors.

Roger

I bought one like this when building up my '3. it can do female flares, male flares, & double flares. It works fine, & has a good selection of sizes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-3434-HAND-HELD-BRAKE-PIPE-FLARING-TOOL-IN-SITU-/322398829448?hash=item4b1077bb88:g:1rwAAMXQNhdSG3VL

Bob..

Well, I've ordered two! One of the ones showing on the Frost site, cheers Bob! and a vice mounted one via the bay. Also ordered a roll of Kunnifer pipe. The end fittings I may be able to reuse unless mr bodger has strangled them!

Will take a detailed looksee tomorrow.

Here is the flaring kit type I bought 30 years ago that still works like a dream.

It was used commercially by me to produce fuel and brake pipe kits for 10 years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYKES-PICKAVANT-02700200-BRAKE-PIPE-FLARING-KIT-/111487820157

Peter W

daven--

Here is some info and pics of making and installing brake lines.

http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-50/TR6-50.html

Ed

Cheers Ed

I have been following your rebuild with great interest. Unfortunately I don't have the originals to follow as a pattern....Mr Bodger just made up a length of pipe and fitted it anyway he could. Its right untidy mess. whoever did it should be ashamed of themselves!