Liquid PTFE is always good for any of the connections, dont overdo it though.

Stuart.

Word of caution on PTFE tape. I fitted a new tank and sealed the union at the bottom with PTFE tape.

A few weeks later, the joint was leaking and the engine running a bit rough

Checked the fuel lines and found strands of PTFE in the filter bowl restricting flow.

I resealed the joint with a fuel resistant sealant and have had no problems since. B....r of a job though, had to take the tank out to clean off the joint properly because the holes in the floor don't quite line up with the tank.

So definitely use sparingly but to be sure, drop a bit of the tape you propose using in some petrol and see if it dissolves

Phil

My plumbing friend considers PTFE tape to be a 'nightmare' for the reason stated above that strands get loose in the pipework and clog up taps, pumps etc. He likes PTFE liquid and eulogises over 'Boss White and Hemp' as a good old fashioned solution to a simple problem.

I am not sure it works in petrol though.

Discuss

Peter W

PTFE Liquid is fine for petrol joints, again use sparingly on the thread only.

Stuart.

Some plumbers really do struggle to use PTFE tape properly! Wrap it tight around and in the direction of the thread and don't let it hang over the end of the thread your wrapping, usually start one or two threads back. You will get a good fluid tight joint that will be easy to dismantle years later.

Edited by daven

Maybe overkill, if so, I apologise:

If a connection has an olive around the pipe, there is no need/sense in applying tape or sealant to the union thread because the olive provides a metal to metal seal.

The tank bottom outlet in most cases has such an Olive.

Same applies for flared connections like on brake pipes.

Some plumbers really do struggle to use PTFE tape properly! Wrap it tight around and in the direction of the thread and don't let it hang over the end of the thread your wrapping, usually start one or two threads back. You will get a good fluid tight joint that will be easy to dismantle years later.

+1

Maybe overkill, if so, I apologise:

If a connection has an olive around the pipe, there is no need/sense in applying tape or sealant to the union thread because the olive provides a metal to metal seal.

The tank bottom outlet in most cases has such an Olive.

Same applies for flared connections like on brake pipes.

+2

Yes easy to dismantle but Pte tape will be left on both threads male and female, always a good idea to clean female thread prior to refitting male . Ptfe fragments will be pushed into the fitting ,leaving them free to flow around your fuel system.

• 1 year later...

"The older I get the faster I was..."  Not!  It is however, a fact that during the many years of driving my '72 TR6, across Europe (including the UK) I never gave a thought to rollover dangers or to fire safety in the event of inversion - ignorance is bliss - there but for the grace of God - etc.... I cannot even plead the mitigation of youth; I wasn't young, even when I acquired the car in the seventies.

Now deep in research for the return of lamented  bliss, that of driving a TR , (not of ignorance), I must give proper consideration to this topic for the sake of the lady Janice and Lottie, a 10kg dachshund cross - how would they cope without me. But in all seriousness, I am of course responsible for their safety.

I have quite fallen for the TR4A with Surrey Top and, despite the mixed reviews, of the Surrey Top itself, on this marvellous forum, I am not (yet) dissuaded (except maybe by the price asked for a good one).

So, (finally) to the point: If I were to buy a fully restored, nicely upholstered TR4A, would incorporation of petrol tank fire protection improvements and roll protection be very disruptive or damaging to the interior or, in the case of roll protection adversely affect the Surrey rear light or frame. I am sure it will be costly but must be done. I would just like to have an idea of what I will be taking on.

Whilst a fair measure of ignorance remains, my awareness has clearly improved.  Except of course for things which, Donald Rumsfeld described as: "Things we don't know we don't know,"..........and then disappeared in a puff of smoke back to LaLaLand to be replaced by another quackers Donald and I don't mean the waterfowl of that name - he would be great!

Thank you in advance for your generous feedback.

Brendan

PS Apologies for my digressions and thanks for your patience.

Edited by EXTR6

Have a look at Revington TR's site - various backlights with frames and cages.  Talk to Neil about your requirements - he's always very helpful.

Ian Cornish

58 minutes ago, ianc said:

Have a look at Revington TR's site - various backlights with frames and cages.  Talk to Neil about your requirements - he's always very helpful.

Ian Cornish

Thank you Ian, they are really nice folk at Revington. 

Also, I really like to hear of owners' experiences and share in their knowledge, accumulated over many years

Brendan

Edited by EXTR6

.....and for those who haven’t seen it before there is a how to report on fitting a firewall to a TR4 in this issue of the Devon Groups “In The Garage” newsletter:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2016/12/0590/In-the-Garage-Christmas-Edition

11 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

.....and for those who haven’t seen it before there is a how to report on fitting a firewall to a TR4 in this issue of the Devon Groups “In The Garage” newsletter:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2016/12/0590/In-the-Garage-Christmas-Edition

Great article. 

H

20 minutes ago, saggy said:

Edit.........otherwise if upside down, fuel can pour on the ground around you. What's the likelihood of that?? Well it only happens once.

I’d only worry about that if you have a roll bar ( and dare i say a full harness)

i suggest that it applies to a full harness and no roll bar. 

With the pair and upside down you have a small chance. ( I have both - even tho the competition rules do not require them!)

The full harness alone would definitely help in a non roll front end bump. 

But where do you stop !!!? Half the fun is the open and loose motoring of these classics. 

H

"fuel can pour on the ground around you"

Where from?    Unless your tank is burst (It was good knowing you), or the filler cap comes off (wire it on), the most likely course would be the air vent.    An old  racing dodge is to run a hose from that across the tank, down the side, across the bottom and back to the top of the tank, where it can vent safely under normal circumstances.      If inverted, the fuel can run into the vent pipe, but as the hose will run higher than the level of fuel under any circumstances, it cannot run out.

Nowadays, a one way valve is inserted into that vent pipe or hose.  Air can enter the atnk as the engine uses it, cannot get out, but then doesn't need to.     If inverted, the feul can't get oit that way, either.

JOhn