Wire Wheel Offset

Considering a change from steel wheels to wires. (Ignoring cleaning)

Triumph fitted wheels laced to the outer part of the rim. Assume this was to maintain the position of the rim relative to the wheel arch.

Am I right in thinking centre laced wheels increase the track due to the position of the spokes relative to the rim edge.

If so, has anyone experience of fitting a centre laced wheel including a 6 mm spacer, with a 5.5 rim and 195/65 tyre. Is the tyre still within the outer edge of the wheel arch? I have been advised there could be an MOT problem if tyre is outside the wheel arch edge.

Regards Roger

Hi Roger ~

I always thought that the centre laced wire wheels were designed for the TR6?

Tom.

No they werent Tom they are an aftermarket idea.

Roger they do stick out very slightly without spacers so I suspect with spacers they would be too far out.

Stuart.

Hi Roger,

why do you need the spacers.

If you are concerned with the inside of the tyre touching anything have you got excessive negative camber?

Roger Roger

Roger

I think the spacers are so he doesnt need to cut the studs.

Stuart.

Can be a pain to fit the centre laced wheels.

Depends a lot on the tires and the camber

and the setting of the body on the frame.

It is pretty normal that one front side looks more

under the wheelarch what comes up more ugly

when one tire can be seen from the top.

Normally the 10mm offset wheels do not fit

with normal camber and need to be set a bit negative.

I would expect that they do not fit with spacers.

The offset of the wire wheels can be changed individually

that they fit without trouble.

195/65 might leave some space in the

wheelarch with the TR6.

Where are you Roger?

Here is a link to Motor Wheel Services who make and supply the majority of wire wheel in UK http://www.mwsint.com/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=1

Here is a link to P J Halliwell who will custom make or repair wire wheels for you. http://pjhallewellengineering.co.uk

They are both in West London

Cheers

Peter W

Interesting stuff, wire wheels. For what it's worth, I run 7" Centre Laced rims of unknown origin with 205/70 tyres. The rears don't protrude at all but the fronts are marginal, although not enough to prevent an MOT. As Andreas mentions, slight negative camber would cure this.

Note of caution with MWS. Their mass market wheels are made in India which is why they are reasonably priced. As soon as you deviate from the standard and it involves their UK based staff doing something, the price rockets. For example, I enquired about black painted wheels (about £200 each) but with stainless spokes. The price became £600 each.

The other thing to note is that their warranty is void if you don't fit the manufacturers recommended tyre size. For a TR6 that would be 165 or 185 section tyre.

I was at a Classic Car thingy with a friend as we passed a TR6 with chrome centre laced wheels, which he pointed out saying 'They're Nice'...I replied 'They're not original to the car'...up jumps the unsighted, loud mouthed owner, who had been sitting the other side and shouts at me..."YES THEY ARE! WHAT DO YOU KNOW!?"...we moved on swiftly!

P.S. 'Modern' 165 tyres offer all the grip you need!

After much thought I have decided to fit the design used by Triumph rather than centre laced. Next decision is the size of tyre on a 5.5 rim, few options available for 165 or 185 section, much more to choose form at 195/65 though feel they are probably to wide and will make the steering heavy when parking. Thanks for the comments.

Roger

After much thought I have decided to fit the design used by Triumph rather than centre laced. Next decision is the size of tyre on a 5.5 rim, few options available for 165 or 185 section, much more to choose form at 195/65 though feel they are probably to wide and will make the steering heavy when parking. Thanks for the comments.

Roger

HI Roger

I've run 5.5j's centre laced for 20+ years now and have always used 185x70x15 tyres. Yes they are becoming either difficult to find or very becoming expensive. In the past I've had Goodyear Fuldas, but they are a bit heavy. Vredesteins are good, but becoming expensive. You might though consider Pirellis. I would, if I needed to and the price is not too bad. Here's a comparison/supplier link. Hope that helps, best Bill

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/P6000.htm/price/185-70-15