A resonance when I put the heater fan on.

Yes... Triumph first started with a heater and then built the car around it*!

Actually it is a case of undoing 4 bolts (1 pointing towards the engine into the firewall) and three (2 at the front and 1 at the back) pointing upwards. You also have to undo the two water pipes deep at the back of the dash above the clutch pedal, the heater flap control and the heater air pipes, unplug the wires. Drop the heater down and try to manoeuvre it past all the wires.

I have shown some details on:

http://72tr6.blogspot.co.uk/

Also shows how you can upgrade the motor.

Cheers

Tim

* it is not as bad as a lotus elan +2 where you have to remove the rear window in order to get the area under the dash where the heater is!

Edited by Tim D.

I've just replaced my heater. Nightmare.

Probably took 2 hours to dismantle to get the heater out. Then another 2 hours putting the heater back (a new one). Then another hour putting the heater hoses back on (Arrrrggggghhhhh).

Its just possible to do all this without removing the gearbox tunnel, seats or H frame.... just.

Be prepared to scrape your knuckles, cut your arms and swear a lot. And end up with a bit of back ache.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave that's good to know, at least I can get it done in a day.

I thought I might find those wild cats behind that dash, badly cut tie wraps and other sharp things. Did You get a complete heater or just the motor? I'm assuming the dash still has to come out?

Edited by Marcel

Spray some wd40 into the vent near the bonnet when the fan is running.

Hi Marcel,

I have an alternative option that you might like to try to the above. The 'resonance' noise that you have is probably a dry bearing on the motor fan so the normal solution would be to lubricate it. Of course the motor is well hidden away except I've found there is a way to get some access to it... or at least this worked when I had the issue on my car.

From memory (without heading off to the cold barn where my car is tonight to check) if you remove the jubilee clip on the black flexible hose that is rear most on the heater assembly box you can look up inside the hose port with a torch and see the side of the top part of the circular fan motor. you then need either an oil can with a long flexible hose on it, like washer fluid hose, or a spray grease can with a long straw.

you can guide the pipe up the port with the torch and place it centrally on the motor top (you can't quite see the actual fan shaft but you can estimate where it centrally should be).

Do a quick pump / squirt and in my case a smooth fan operation returned for a couple of years or so until it needed doing again.

Sure I realise its a quick work around to the permanent fix of a new motor, but given this is 10 mins every couple of years or so compared to the head-ache of removing the whole heater it does the job for me!!

Good luck, Cheers,

James.

James, sounds like a good trick!

mine makes a horrible noise when first turned on but when turned off then back on it's perfectly quiet. Done this for 5 years now but i should sort it.

Marcel dose this work on yours ?

Any suggestions guys ?

Roy

Mine was very noisy and seemed about to seize, there is very little clearance between the fan blade tips and the casing.

There is also enough slack in the motor mountings for it to be off centre, allowing the tips to scrape.

Carefull reassembly should give even tip clearance but the motor needs to be run on the bench and the casing flexed to test before refitting.

Mike.

There's some great feedback, I've just spoken to TRGB and they have advised me if I go down the route of replacing the motor I have to be very patient in removing the fan as the plastic gets brittle. Also soak the shaft with penetrating oil to help release it.

It is true you do have to be very careful with the fan. Taking your time is the most important thing.

If you do take it apart getting hold of a new motor (like the one used in US school buses) is a great upgrade..

Cheers

Tim

mine makes a horrible noise when first turned on but when turned off then back on it's perfectly quiet. Done this for 5 years now but i should sort it.

Marcel dose this work on yours ?

Any suggestions guys ?

Roy

I have the same problem switch on and it screams, switch off and on again and no problems for the last 30years!!

I might try the WD40 suggestion.

Edited by Damson6

Thanks Dave that's good to know, at least I can get it done in a day.

I thought I might find those wild cats behind that dash, badly cut tie wraps and other sharp things. Did You get a complete heater or just the motor? I'm assuming the dash still has to come out?

Yes I bought the complete heater including the box from Clayton. I found it much harder to get the bu$$er back in than to get the old one out. Yes the dash has to be partly removed. I removed the speedo and tacho entirely but just pulled the minor gauges through the wooden dash leaving all cables attached..... well not quite true, I did remove the temp gauge, put it on the workbench and it rolled off and exploded on the floor arrrrrgggghhhhh.

Tim, Roy & Damson. Yes my fan was just like you say. 1st turn on and within a couple of seconds it screeches/resonates. Turn off and on again and next time it tends to run smoothly for the rest of the day. When I've done the lube trick with the oil can then it runs nice and smooth for couple years...

Cheers, J.

The only thing I would say about spraying oil into the intake is everything is going to coated with oil including the heater matrix. This will attract dust restricting airflow and eventually get clogged. I'm going for an accurately placed drop of oil.

Marcel, I agree... hence my oil can and plastic pipe suggestion up one of the cold air pipes. Whilst the WD40 at air intake that was mentioned above, may also work. in my view that will leave quite pungent smelling air afterwards.

Cheers, J.

It doesn't need much WD a small squirt will do.