I've been re assembling the cooling fan on my 61 3a but have noticed that I have 2 hub extensionsn but one is longer than the other. The longest extension is 12cm from end to end whilst the shorter one is only 10cm. Both came in a box of parts with the car but I assumed that the correct hub extension was the longer one as the bolt appears to be too long for the shorter one. Whilst the longer extension fits ok, I'm concerned that it will foul the radiator as when I lined the rad up it seemed to be too close for comfort.; in fact I'd have to bend the fan blades backwards to clear the radiator casing. Looking at the manual, I can see that the 3a and 4/4a had differing hub extensions so could one of these be for a 4a perhaps?

I've attached photos to try and give an illustration of the issue but I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on the problem.

Many thanks

Graeme

post-9805-0-92936500-1485027658_thumb.jpg

post-9805-0-66678300-1485027667_thumb.jpg

The 6" long bolt is TR4-4A. - in part number form.....Bolt part no HB1349 is used on late TR4A ( Hex Bolt 13/16 af head that is 49. x 1/8" long = 6.125")

so

The short extension is sidescreen car one.

You will need to get a shorter bolt with starting handle dog, assumimg you are going to have a starting handle.

I think I have a good used one in the garage - will PM you if I find it. PPS Sorry I do not have a spare

Cheers

Peter W

PS A 5/8" UNF die nut is nearly £40 to buy if you were thinking of re-threading the long bolt to suit your requirement. Can you find a local machine shop to do it for a couple of pints cash?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT