TR2 in 1955 Malayan Rally

Nothing more than a few Pics to share...one at the bottom of this short chat...the red 4A i know well...but the TR2 is gone now...in fact I don't know of a TR2 here in Malaysia today...a few 3 & 3A....but never seen a 2...

http://www.penangtalk.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=880

(scroll down to TR2 pic)

another pic of the same car:

http://penangtalk.com/nmvccr/posts/9115.html

in another post on this site, the owner then, Barrie Robinson says "I think Chan Lye Choon bought my TR2 after the rally as I did the fastest time on the hill climb on the last day. He bought it because he thought it was my car that was fast - but it wasn't - IT WAS ME! I beat the Astons, the other TR2s, and the rest. Why? Because I was the only one who rocketed over the top, going airbourne, then seeing the top pylon and going for it. Others just drove cautiously over the top"

This Chan won the 1958 Macau GP in an Aston DB3S...incidentally the first Macau GP in '54 was won by Eduardo de Carvalho in another TR2 which is in the Macau GP Museum. (the DB3s won the Malayan GP in '61)

Barrie graduated to V8 MGB more recently: http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BarrieRobinson.htm

Great post! First thing I thought: what sort of fan did it have? (Cooling problems et all), but then realised that the 3A suffered from those problems - not the 2.

A few years back I was stopped by a guy in a modern Passat. He told me that he was born in Rhodesia and that his mum drove a 3A. Seeing my TR had brought back memories! Good to know that this was really a 'world wide car'.

Menno

Great post! First thing I thought: what sort of fan did it have? (Cooling problems et all), but then realised that the 3A suffered from those problems - not the 2.

A few years back I was stopped by a guy in a modern Passat. He told me that he was born in Rhodesia and that his mum drove a 3A. Seeing my TR had brought back memories! Good to know that this was really a 'world wide car'.

Menno

There is an ex-Rhodesian 3a down here same colour as yours.

Stuart.

Great web site

I scrolled down and saw this comment about "trading" a tr3

TR3 Owned by Barry Sargeant of Bulawayo, used for classic car runs as well as time trials around Bulawayo. Traded with Jimmy de Villiers around 1961 for ERA R4A.

AN ERA !!!!!!

Now that's what I call a good trade. Esp if he kept the ERA. MY FAV CAR I think