instruments lighting bulbs

Does anyone have an enhancement suggestion for instrument lighting. I have the original 2.2w bulbs with screw fittings. Whilts they are all working I have no lighting in teh dials at night.

Does anyone know of a higher output, but still screw thread bulb that might improve things?

Thanks

Chris

post-13490-0-92470400-1484504221_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris ~

I got my brighter dashlight bulbs from Bettercarlighting. (see page 79 of TRaction 295.

Be aware that these bulbs cannot be dimmed with the rheostat switch ~

but then why fit brighter bulbs and then wish to dim them?

I think the bulbs you want are BA9ES. £4.99p each!

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Chris ~

I got my brighter dashlight bulbs from Bettercarlighting. (see page 79 of TRaction 295.

Be aware that these bulbs cannot be dimmed with the rheostat switch ~

but then why fit brighter bulbs and then wish to dim them?

I think the bulbs you want are BA9ES. £4.99p each!

Tom.

+1 for Bettercar lighting..... and +1 for the LEDS too. Makes a big difference. If only my headlamps actually light up the road then I would have no hesitation venturing out after dusk.

Cheers

Dave

I tried a couple of LEDs from these folks and found that they do dim on my stock dimmer.

The dimmer is a new original type replacement. To be honest, I was surprised that they dimmed.

I've ordered a complete set for the interior that will be here a week or so.

http://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/car-kits/products/triumph-tr6-led-bulb-upgrade-kit

from their website.....................

December 29, 2015

A very common Classic Car owner question. Briefly, yes they do with the old style internal variable resistor in the dimmer. This reduces the voltage available to the LED which in turn reduces the brightness. LEDs are far more sensitive than incandescent bulbs though which means a small change in the dimmer will have a bigger effect.

Edited by Atl TR6

+1 for Bettercar lighting..... and +1 for the LEDS too. Makes a big difference. If only my headlamps actually light up the road then I would have no hesitation venturing out after dusk.

Cheers

Dave

Try Osram Nightbreaker bulbs in your headlamps.

Try Osram Nightbreaker bulbs in your headlamps.

One of the best improvements I made - fitted to a set of new Osram headlights, the difference in visibiliy is truly astounding

I put LED bulbs into my instruments, all were a bit dim and no brighter than the originals bulbs, apart from the Speedo that had been rebuilt and the white paint on the inside of the case repainted. This is lovely and bright and useable.

So the solutions seems to be to clean and repaint the inside of the instruments so that the light from the bulb (or LED) actually gets reflected onto the dial. BTW the rheostat is bypassed to try to get maximum brightness.

Re headlights yes Osram Nightbreakers are excellent.

mike

@Alan

They must be similar to the ones I got through eBay, work ok, and the dimmer.....an original works too! I managed to get the ones that emit a green light.

Cheers

Dave

+2 for Better car lighting + LED's really helpful.

Cheers

Mike.

Dropped in to see these guys today re changing the bulbs on my 6 , found Peter very helpful.

Plus they are only a few miles from Lincoln

dynamoregulatorconversions.com

may be of interest to some of you

Brian

Edited by brian -r

I had the dimmest instrument lighting imaginable in the speedo & tacho. Both were impossible to read. Tried LED's which gave no improvement. I then saw a thread on this forum which showed a huge improvement by painting the interior of the instrument cases gloss white. A simple task and the improvement is incredible! No need for LED's.

Jim