Mounting rear axle

Anyone got a tip how to mount the rear axle in an empty frame (no engine, no body weight to help), leaf springs make quite a resistance. Thinking of removing rear shackles, fix the axle and try to bend down the rear of the spring to fit the shackle back.

/Inge

When I replaced my rear springs recently I was able to fit the springs with the axle detatched and sitting on the chassis and then had enough U-bolt thread to catch a couple of threads through the spring plates and wind the plates up to their location on the axle.

With the body off you should be able to bolt the springs up with the "U" clamps to the axle with it laid across the chassis and then lean on the front of the springs to get them down to fit the front pins and then unless you have competition stiff springs then you should be able to lean on the back of the springs enough to get the shackle pins through.

My 4a being a solid axle car was the exception as there is only one spring available for them and they are far too dished to be correct. I had to use truck ratchet straps on both sides to haul it down far enough to get the "U" bolts even started despite their lengths. The axle diidnt come off the bump stops for quite a few miles!

Stuart.

Thanks, this is how I solved it, made an extension of the spring with a long pry bar and a bit more modern tool than "foster461" ;)

http://www.ijonsson.se/tr2/photo_diary.php?day=chassi&folder=chassi&id=IMG_2416

I got medieval when I installed my springs using a rope and a lever to move the spring.

IMG_1620_zps0wmv4dxb.jpg

Hi Stan,

Nice finish on your chassis, what have you done to it ?

Mick Richards

Thanks Stan, I'll see if my chassis is good enough to take similar treatment.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

as Stan states - he used a spray gun to apply.

Eastwood extreme chassis black is extremely thin and can't easily be brush painted.

The standard Eastwood chassis black is a lot thicker and can be brush paint. However you will not get that nicely sprayed (thin) finish.

Roger

Thanks for the tip Roger.

Mick Richards