TR2 Mille Miglia

I discussed Hofman car with the guys at the shop who've helped me restoring my car. In short: walk away, the car is bodged. Already visible on the pictures (Pic# 6 showing the back of the car indicates that the LH side is higher than the RH side).

The black car Edwin talked about is unknown by most TR owners around here. The MM car is well-known although there's no reason the justify the price only because it has 3x an 'MM Aproved' sticker on the back...

Third option I heard about earlier today is a guy living 10mins away who's restoring his 3rd or 4rd TR as a hobby. He's currently restoring a TR3. I haven't seen the car, I don't know how old it is (MM-wise very important), I presume it's LHD etc. He's a nice guy. Modest and his previous cars were beautifully done, with an eye for detail.

Tom, I can reach out to him and ask him if he's okay with the fact that you and he get in contact.

Menno

So the nub of this whole thread being.....................Dont bother with the first car that started this thread and either buy one that is essentially correct though will probably be expensive (Regardless of whether its done it before or not) or buy the best one you can find for restoration and have it done to correct spec (again expensive) and then in both cases you have to see if you can jump through all the hoops to get yourself an entry.

Stuart.

So the nub of this whole thread being.....................Dont bother with the first car that started this thread and either buy one that is essentially correct though will probably be expensive (Regardless of whether its done it before or not) or buy the best one you can find for restoration and have it done to correct spec (again expensive) and then in both cases you have to see if you can jump through all the hoops to get yourself an entry.

Stuart.

Amen!

Menno

Stuart.

And don't tell Wiffie how much it all Cost.

Don't ever buy a car on the sole basis that it might get you a MM entry once in your lifetime. Buy a car that you will enjoy for the other 100% of the time.

The MM is effectively un-touchable for the majority. The costs are absolutely ridiculous, the process of entry is nigh on impossible.

I have clients in Monaco and Italy - ultra (really ultra) wealthy, own cars entered at the Monaco Historique et al, big yachts, houses the value of towns and they say that the MM is the hardest, cliqueist event to try and enter.

Get a nice car and do the MM route at your leisure at 5% of the cost (remember it is really just a reyt posh road tour (albeit with some stunning company)

Veblen.

He spotted the reason why grossly overpriced goods and services succeed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

The cost is high in order to ensure social exclusivity, so billioniares dont have to suffer the embarassment of mixing with mere millionaires. And most definitely not with a TR-er with oily fingernails.

Peter

Don't ever buy a car on the sole basis that it might get you a MM entry once in your lifetime. Buy a car that you will enjoy for the other 100% of the time.

The MM is effectively un-touchable for the majority. The costs are absolutely ridiculous, the process of entry is nigh on impossible.

I have clients in Monaco and Italy - ultra (really ultra) wealthy, own cars entered at the Monaco Historique et al, big yachts, houses the value of towns and they say that the MM is the hardest, cliqueist event to try and enter.

Get a nice car and do the MM route at your leisure at 5% of the cost (remember it is really just a reyt posh road tour (albeit with some stunning company)

+1 you are spot on.

I was rather surprised to see that a few posts have suggested that the car being considered at Hofmans is worth around £26k.

As has been suggested the car from the pics looks far from correct in many respects. The engine, the wing beads, the seats etc, etc. and the front bumper looks far too low

If these defects are apparent from the shiny pics, are there more serious problems lurking where the camera has not ventured? I would not even consider traveling 100 miles without some detail pics of the chassis, suspension, spare wheel compartment etc. One would have expected these as a matter of course.

There are surely better cars available for this sort of money?

As has also been suggested before parting with your hard earned take a seasoned TR owner with you to inspect the car, it could save you much later heart ache. and cash!

I discussed Hofman car with the guys at the shop who've helped me restoring my car. In short: walk away, the car is bodged. Already visible on the pictures (Pic# 6 showing the back of the car indicates that the LH side is higher than the RH side).

Menno

Kaaa BBBOOOm tusshhhhh I thank yyyyyooooouuuu see post 32

"My own feedback would be that the perspective presenting from the rear on the right hand side (RHD drivers side) and even from the front on that side it the car appears to stand strangely. At first I thought it was the photograph possibly being off set slightly when taken but having considered it I don't think that is the case and I wouldn't be buying that car until I had inspected it and satisfied myself that all was well".

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Those following the concourse at the International must know both TR2's mentioned... to say TS11 of our French friend Vincent P. and the olive yellow car of Fred B. They both won prices at the IWE.

These cars are top restorations to Original specific, not to mention the pink/geranium... :):):) TR2 TS111 of Hans K. from Holland.

Beside OVC.. and SHP.. these are the most Original TR2/3 I know, both having driven the Classic MM..

p.s. included in the MM registration is a Chopard watch for participants... :blink::rolleyes: might justify the fee

Edited by jean

Today, I spoke with a man who has MM experience as a mechanic; he has prepared several cars for Dutch participants over the years.

Edwin's 15K euro estimation is correct. And also the remark that it's only the minimum amount you'll have to spend... Hotels, transport of the car(s) to Brescia etc has to be added, indeed. A few of his clients dug deep in their pockets and spent over 50K for one MM... My 'source' attended the MM in a service truck twice, fully paid by two clients with their own car. He told me that driving the MM in a modern car but with MM decals makes it a fantastic journey: modern car, modern equipment with the old style MM treatment by the authorities!

Back to the cars: knowing this puts the expensive TR (with MM provenance) in a wider perspective: the seller wants to get his money back! That way he's trying to participate in the MM without spending a penny.

Menno

Today, I spoke with a man who has MM experience as a mechanic; he has prepared several cars for Dutch participants over the years.

Edwin's 15K euro estimation is correct. And also the remark that it's only the minimum amount you'll have to spend... Hotels, transport of the car(s) to Brescia etc has to be added, indeed. A few of his clients dug deep in their pockets and spent over 50K for one MM... My 'source' attended the MM in a service truck twice, fully paid by two clients with their own car. He told me that driving the MM in a modern car but with MM decals makes it a fantastic journey: modern car, modern equipment with the old style MM treatment by the authorities!

Back to the cars: knowing this puts the expensive TR (with MM provenance) in a wider perspective: the seller wants to get his money back! That way he's trying to participate in the MM without spending a penny.

Menno

well, theres a business case..

so " investing" 15 - 30K in participating the MM will put the value of my fresh restored tr2 and almost original (sure lots more original than the one offered..!) to a whopping 124k euros... where can i sign up ???

what an excuse to the lady... its a nobrainer... MM it is !

Edited by EdwinTiben

The 124k TR has 3 MM decals on the back.

Let's be honest: Netherlands' finest TR2 with an MM participation will certainly raise a lot of money when going on sale! C'mon Edwin, fill in those application forms

M

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

I want to enter the mm as well. I was going to build my tr2 for entering the mm, but realised it was going to be a long shot as the number of applicants are high and preference is given to cars that have already competed or are entered by the sponsors. Ive ended up buying a renault 4cv that has already competed in the event, which has better chance. Now going to build the tr2 for UK navigation rallies and will potentially use it for the tulip rally. However would love to use my tr2 for the mm.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid 15000 euros. Bit over what they sell for normally, however, it is in wonderful condition and very original. I also think it was a good buy for one with history in various events. I've seen similar cars with similar history for a lot more.

Good deal. And good lateral thinking here: not selecting the sexiest, fastest and most iconic car for the venue. I hope you'll be able to enter. And fwiw: even with a Renault, we love to see pics of this here on the forum. (Got me thinking: when you're choose to enter the MM, you would become the first 'of us' I think).

Menno

Menno, if we go back a little bit we find Pascal Q. He is not used to post often, but he use to follow the forum.

He did the Classic MM a few times with OVC..

Must say OVC.. for it's value is not spared, as it's regularly used in different rallies all year long. A fine attitude

I do have my fingers crossed. Luckily the person i bought the Renault off is involved with the MM and they have said that they will assist with my application.

My TR2 would be the preference (once restored), but i think this is a long shot.

I will get a pic of my renault posted on here shortly.