TR2 Mille Miglia

Hi all.

I am a new member to the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I have set myself a task of buying a car and getting it into such a state so that I could try to enter it into the Mille Miglia.

Classic cars that I currently have are too modern (70s), and so I have decided a good fun car to try this with would be a TR2.

I have done a fair amount of research online and via books etc and so have a good understanding of the various models and changes throughout the years.

However, I feel there is no substitute for the expert knowledge found in these forums, and so I am here to ask a question or 2.

There is a car I have seen advertised in the Netherlands which seems a good stating point in as far as it looks fairly original.

HERE >>>> http://www.hofman.nl/auto/13924/triumph-tr2-small-mouth/

It has obviously been modified a little in places (interior etc) but nothing that I couldn't revert if needed.

If I get hold of an image of the chassis plate/VIN etc is there someone on here that could advise if the car is a genuine UK car or if it looks original?

Other than all the usual things to check for like rust, oil leaks, straightness and filler, is there something important I should look for in this car if I go and view it considering its in Europe?

The price is approximately £26000, which as far as I can tell is a pretty competitive price for a TR2 in good condition. Would you agree?

Any thoughts or advice you might have would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

Its not very original in several places, the most notable being the boot surround which is from a post 60K (Later 59yr) car and the later brakes and carbs. It does also seem to be missing its commission plate.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Stuart -

Commission plate does seem to be there and numbers

on the brass plates seem to be consistent with a TR2.

Looks very good cosmetically for the money, but surely

participating in the Mille Miglia takes a lot more than a

nice looking car.

AlanR

Thanks for the replies...

Yes the Mille Miglia takes an awful lot of work to enter and is never a sure thing even if all boxes are ticked.... but it all starts with a nice car, so here I am at the start.

If all else fails, at least I'll have a nice car!

The shut lines around the boot look a little dubious, but perhaps that is normal for a TR2?

Can you confirm what you mean by the boot surround being from a later car? Is that a trim item, of the bodywork itself?

Hi Tom,

You've got the correct man on here regarding originality for a TR2, Stuart has rebuilt quite a few and I've never heard anybody criticise his bodywork. He will know all the originality wrinkles and also what "crimes" were commonly practised against them by rebuilders in the intervening years. No connection or otherwise with Stuart other than hearing from TR owners who've been extremely happy with his work, you're in good hands.

Mick Richards

I'd have been liked to see photos under the car, but what's there looks fairly nice. Price didn't look out of line.

I'd have been interested to know the commission number. The engine strikes me as later than that era -- I'd have guessed TR3, or even more likely TR3A engine just from the glimpse shown.

The Goodwood Revival and Members Meeting are two of my favorite car-events, among the best in the world IMO. One of the TR-guys here active at the national level tells me the MM is even better. He attends every year as a spectator, enjoying the mobile feast of Italian food, culture, and the cars in the event. Good luck with it!

Edited by Don H.

The garage selling the car have been in touch and sent a close up of the Commission plate, and the brass ones on the bulkhead.

Unfortunately I don't know how to add an attachment on this chat so I can't show you at the moment.

It's pretty worn out but appears to say 'T0 7200 0', or 'T6 7200 0' or 'T8 7200 0'. Second digit is hard to read.

They seem very nice and keen to help out which is always a good start to these things.

Should read "TS...", for Triumph Sports. Used for almost every sidescreen TR, except for the last few in 1962.

Look carefully at the last "0". It might be an "O", as the suffix added when an overdrive is present.

Edited by Don H.

The garage selling the car have been in touch and sent a close up of the Commission plate, and the brass ones on the bulkhead.

Unfortunately I don't know how to add an attachment on this chat so I can't show you at the moment.

It's pretty worn out but appears to say 'T0 7200 0', or 'T6 7200 0' or 'T8 7200 0'. Second digit is hard to read.

They seem very nice and keen to help out which is always a good start to these things.

TS7200 O

A right hand drive TR2 with overdrive, probably built in 1955.

Stan

Thats it then..... TS 7200.

Thanks.

The S was quite rounded and looked like a 0.

Right.... so TS 7200. Can I do anything with that? Look it up somewhere and find out how the car was delivered new with regards to colour and overdrive etc?

oops... too quick to post. Thanks foster 461

Edited by AlfaTom

Thats it then..... TS 7200.

Thanks.

The S was quite rounded and looked like a 0.

Right.... so TS 7200. Can I do anything with that? Look it up somewhere and find out how the car was delivered new with regards to colour and overdrive etc?

oops... too quick to post. Thanks foster 461

TR Register members (and VTR members in the US) can get a build history trace from Bill Piggott for a very small fee. The details are usually on page 4 of the TR Reg magazine

Stan

We have some very knowledgeable members of this forum based in NL and BE, who will soon weigh in here and may know the car if it was originally restored in that area.

If you look where the boot rubber is you will see that is not the correct squared corner setup that a TR2 has instead it has the rounded corner type of aperture that instead of having the boot rubber in a channel the rubber sits on a lip as per later cars post TS60000 or thereabouts, TR2 from 55 would be Lockheed brakes with drums all round, this car has been updated to Girling brake masters and front discs. More user friendly but obviously not correct for year. Generally the car presents quite well it just depends on whether you need it to be original or functional.

Stuart.

This looks to be very nicely prepared indeed, what we can see of it.

However, it looks to me to be more of a typical TR bitsa than a pukka TR2 . . . . . nothing wrong with that, but it won't cut the mustard with a knowledgeable scrutineer concerned with genuine historical authenticity.

Cheers

Alec

If you look where the boot rubber is you will see that is not the correct squared corner setup that a TR2 has instead it has the rounded corner type of aperture that instead of having the boot rubber in a channel the rubber sits on a lip as per later cars post TS60000 or thereabouts, TR2 from 55 would be Lockheed brakes with drums all round, this car has been updated to Girling brake masters and front discs. More user friendly but obviously not correct for year. Generally the car presents quite well it just depends on whether you need it to be original or functional.

Stuart.

I wonder if this is a TR3 tub that has been rebuilt as a TR2 ?. Would that be more likely than a TR2 tub with a TR3 rear end grafted on ?

My understanding is that if the car has been changed to brake discs instead of drums, it won't be eligible for Miile Miglia but it would always be best to check the entrance rules. They are red hot on paperwork as well - I have an idea it needs a matching engine number but I might be making that up. Effectively, the cars have to race as they would have back in the day.

Just having a "correct" TR2 in itself doesn't guarantee entry. I think priority is given to original Mille Miglia racers, then Italian cars of the period that might have raced, then other cars of the period that might have raced. On the basis there are so many regulars, it doesn't leave many spaces and I think there are already a couple of TR2's.

On the other hand, that TR2 looks lovely and only a TR Geek could tell what has been changed. So worst case scenario you end up with a great car for a reasonable price. Best case scenario, you get a spot and the experience of a lifetime.

Well worth a punt in my opinion!

Stuart.

I see what you mean now about the boot rubber.

It should be like this one >>> http://assets.bauer-wolke.co.uk/imagegen/p/800/-/s3/digital-cougar-assets-uk/MomoAds/2016/05/29/093843/triumph-tr2-29.jpg

So did any TR2's have the rounded boot aperture/rubber, or were they only on the TR3 models? I don't really like the idea of 2 different models grafted together.

I don't really like the idea of 2 different models grafted together.

It's more common than you might think, particularly with the front end and TR2's being "upgraded" to a TR3 front end in the event of a bump back in the day when they were run on a shoestring.

TR2's very commonly have a replacement TR3 or TR4 engine so worth checking the engine number - it should be close but slightly higher than the commission number on the chassis.

Edited by rhino_mac

Hi Tom,

if you want to add photo's then follow this -

make sure the pics are not too big - 100kb is nice

click on 'More reply options' at bottom right of screen

Add your text in the main box.

Click 'choose file' - bottom left

Select your pic from your computer filing.

Click 'attach this file' bottom left'

Position the cursor where you want the pic. (below signature)

Click 'add to post' bottom right

Roger

If it is a TR2 you are set on I know of a full rebuild just finishing with o/d wires, girling axle and drum brakes all round - Just south of you on the A3. PM me if interested.

or

McMuttleys car is a decent honest and ready to go machine with an option of hard and soft tops. http://www.tr-register.co.uk/classified/0955/1958-TR3A

Peter W