Will "Fork oil" for motorcycles work in the Armstrong dampers? Should I go for 5W or 10W?

Fork oil will work quite adequately, as will oil intended for hydraulic jacks and similar applications.

SAE 10 was the original TR specification, and lever arm shock absorbers were designed to utilise anything from SAE 10 through to SAE 30 - anything heavier tan 30 will tend to demolish the internals, anything lighter simply won't work well.

SAE 15 was the favoured upgrade for cars using stiffer than standard springs . . . . . if a TR needs even greater damping, it is preferable to change the internal valves/springs rather than using SAE 20 or above.

Cheers

Alec

Thank you, very good information. Need to find a product in Sweden, Moss, Rimmers and the others are not keen on shipping paint, oil and similar products abroad (health and safety regulations?).

/Inge

Hi Inge,

damper/strut fluid is a common product. I'm sure any of your motor spares shops will hold it.

How about asking a local garage where they get it.

Roger

Yes, plenty of suppliers, even locally. Just wanted to be sure about viscosity (and I've been warned about cheap oil for jacks as they might foam).

/Inge

Yes, plenty of suppliers, even locally. Just wanted to be sure about viscosity (and I've been warned about cheap oil for jacks as they might foam).

/Inge

Talk to the motorcycle guys locally they should have something.

Stuart.