I think you are right re Ken R driving....those ears are a bit of a give away :D

He looks like he is struggling to stay in the seat on that banking, certainly the car has shifted on its springs.

Iain

Edited by iain

Many years ago I bought an Austin Healey gearbox from a small ad in the Sunday Times! This lead me to an address in Middlesex which was stuffed full of TR memorabilia including a huge amount of paperwork and several "Sabrina" engines, apparently there were several different types. Outside the Jabbeke car was lying under a tarpaulin in a dire state which was tragic. Great news it has been restored. Next I was shown a TRS, 928 HP which still had the Le Mans seals attached and perhaps should have stayed that way but I believe it has now been restored. Lastly the Conrero TR was wheeled out of a lockup, what an amazing car and still with the original twin cam engine. Does anyone know what has happened to this historic car? What a fantastic and unexpected day out for someone who has had a series of early TRs and Dorettis for nearly 40 years.

Richard

Here's another shot of the car:

mwk_zpsvtqywldk.jpg

Cheers

Dan

P.S. I recently uncovered a note saying that engine no TS1 E was put in a Doretti, somewhat confirming Sir John's strong support of the project. Is that correct?

Edited by 2long

Originality enthusiasts may be interested in the following observations. The Triumph TR2 engines fitted to the first fifty production Swallow Doretti sports cars (Chassis No.1001 to 1050) were numbered in the range TS 310E to TS 1188E.

Pre-production Swallow Doretti 717 CRF, Chassis No.100-RH, the factory race-car, was built with Engine No.TS1E confirmed by the chassis plate and logbook, while 720 CRF, Chassis No.SAC105X-7 was originally fitted with Engine No.TS4E, again confirmed by the chassis plate and the logbook, which contradicts the opinion that this engine was installed in the prototype TR-engined Morgan Plus Four. Another pre-production Doretti in California, Chassis No.146X-1 is reported to have Engine No.TS6E installed, although no documentary proof has yet been seen. The evidence seems to point out that there was an extremely close relationship and co-operation between Sir John Black of Standard-Triumph and Eric Sanders the managing director of Swallow Coachbuilding.

Ken Yankey

Edited by doretti
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I owned TR2 MWK950 paid £120 was advertised in the exchange and mart

Purchased in 1971kept it for 2 years sold when it developed engine problems

Was blue when purchased till I changed to red oxide,!!! I was only 19

Car had no badge on front apron, seats were unusual as was dashboard

Great car which started me of on TRs 9 so far

It would be good to see it restored,

Bruce

post-13007-0-06173400-1535739795_thumb.jpeg

Bruce,

I guess you must have sold it to the Gouldstones, who at the time

lived in West Drayton. That's where I first became acquainted with

the car - and identified it as a prototype.

Great to hear a bit more of the very early history of the car.

AlanR

A fantastic story. It has motivated me to look at compiling a record of all the Australian TRs, starting with the TR2s of which I have two (TS3732O and TS5038O).

A fantastic story. It has motivated me to look at compiling a record of all the Australian TRs, starting with the TR2s of which I have two (TS3732O and TS5038O).

A great friend of mine had been doing that here in New Zealand for sometime and I have carry on with it.

I have past several photos to people of there cars that they haven't seen before.

Over here we follow the cars by ther commission number not there number plate.

Cheers Shane

Shane's car list takes me back quite a few years to when then TRR NZ Registrar Kevin T and I teamed up to try and track down the only 2 RHD Speed Model TR2s ever delivered. Speed Models were offered as a likeness of MVC575, but they never took off as only 3 were sold, The first TS19, a LHD car, was pictured at the 1953 London Motor Show after which it was rumoured to have gone to Canada. We knew the 2 RHD cars had been shipped to NZ but little else. Miraculously both cars eventually turned up after decades in storage following accidents thought to have occurred in the early 70s. If I remember correctly, TS612(SP)-0 had been purchased new by a Dr Paul who raced it extensively, taking his wife and 5 young children along to meetings. Seating arrangements were somewhat crowded - 3 children in the back on a made up occasional rear seat (not then available as an accessory), one child on a cushion on the tunnel, bubs on mum's lap and off they'd go - trailer in tow loaded with camping gear, spares and fuel. By yet another miracle a daughter of Dr Paul was able to provide not only a few different photos taken during her father's ownership, but also the original purchase invoice and even the shipping invoice. The second RHD TR2 Speed Model TS767(SP)-0 took longer to track down, but is currently being rebuilt in NZ to a high standard. Interestingly the NZ dealer who sold the 2 RHD Speed Models thereafter cleverly optioned up standard TR2's to similar levels as the Speed Models, offering them at a premium to wealthy local farmers as a TR2S.

Just a very short note ,when MWK left the factory I think you will find the prototype body was removed and a "off tools "body was fitted,which would explain the absence of the prototype emblem and the bonnet hinges being positioned as per a standard cer.unlike MVC which left the factory intact.So without doubt the only remaining prototype left.

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2017 at 10:41 AM, doretti said:

This original picture from my Rainbow Archive may be of interest. Ken Yankey

post-11074-0-71520500-1484217655_thumb.jpg

What's your "Rainbow Archice", Ken?

8 minutes ago, doretti said:

A personal collection of images, originally owned by Frank Rainbow, the designer of the Doretti.

Quite a treasure trove! Have you ever published it in TR Action or considered it? I only ever saw one Swallow Doretti years ago.