Sports Exhaust...are they all too loud

Greetings from the states...and my apologies if this subject has been beaten to death on this site. I am considering a sports exhaust purchase for my USA spec, stock carbed 74 TR6. I would like a stainless twin "box" type and am considering the Bell, Double S (TRshops), rimmer bros. predator styling brand or scparts limited (they make their own).

Anyone have them installed on their car? too loud? bad fitment? fumes? On this side of the pond most systems offered are Monza, Falcon...very limited use Bell. I have not been able to get opinions on the UK brands listed above. They are actually less expensive to buy and shipped here than to purchase a system over here.

Thx Cliff

Cliff,

My advice is don't. (I have one)

Kamm effect; fumes drawn into cockpit will try and kill you. Too loud, a real problem on a long journey.

Nice sound and look to wheelbarrow exhausts, but after a 20 mile journey you have had enough, after 100 miles really wearing.

I would suggest the original side discharge exhaust makes for a more useable car.

But each to their own!

Alan

Cliff, Welcome to the forum.

There's a long thread here discussing exhaust fumes being pulled forward into cockpit.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/52233-tr6-exhaust-fumes-airflows-over-bodywork/

The standard location of tail pipe might be best in my view...but not everyone will agree.

Peter

+1

We do several longish touring holidays each year, and after the first trip the Carlos Fandango exhaust system was on ebay. Way to noisy and smelly. That was 20 years ago and I belive it to be the best "modification" I have done to the car

George

Thanks I did stumble on that thread....the output on each side just looks so nice! I probably will not be driving this car more than 500-1000 miles a year and probably never more than 30 miles in one trip. I am wondering about cutting one of the two outputs on my current one and drilling/welding it onto the other side?

When I bought my car it had two bashed up (another consideration to be mindful of - lower rear ground clearance) silencers making up a sports system. Each silencer was mild steel. It still sounded ok and pleasant with no fumes. I naively asked them to change the silencers for new as part of the deal to buy. They were replaced with stainless steel like for likes. Result is much noisier. Not stupidly so but definitely noticeably so. I don't get any fumes into the cockpit but I know others do. Perhaps this is due to the heat of the exhaust fumes being more or less buoyant as it leaves the tailpipe and therefore not being trapped by the kamm effect.?????

In short, it works for me - just!

Don't do it if you want to preserve the original sound which is part of the car and to preserve your hearing abilities. Approx 34 years ago I fitted an SAH twin box system, asted a month and was sold on thankfully....awful things!

Alan G

I find odd the complaints about fumes as I have the Phoenix twin exhaust and don't appear to suffer. The only time it does stink is following yer average diesel motor.
Could the installation have something to do with it? I notice a lot of people hang them from the boot (trunk) floor, so could they be sitting too high or at the wrong angle?

As for noise, personally I like the growl under heavy acceleration, and belting the nuts off it down the motorways I don't find it too intrusive......after all its supposed to be a sports car!!
If yer want a nancy motor .....get a mg! :ph34r::D

Edited by daven

I think the smelliness (?!) has something something do with the temperature of the exhaust as it exits the tailpipes. If it's hot then it is more buoyant and therefore becomes trapped in the kamm effect. I think the material used in the exhaust (mild or stainless steel), what exhaust manifold you have (and therefore how much heat is still entrained in the exhaust gas as it exits the manifold) and whether you have a twin pipe system from manifold to each silencer or a single which then splits. My system is SS and is twin pipe to manifold with normal exhaust manifold. I think the twin pipe offers twice the cooling effect with the result that the exhaust gas is cooler, less buoyant and therefore doesn't get drawn into the cabin by the kamm as a result...... but I may be wrong and all that I have written is rubbish! What is without doubt though is my tinitus appears to have got worse!

Cheers

Dave

As for fumes the boot seal is critical in my experience. I had a 'wheelbarrow' system (Double S) that was just awful for fumes (and noise etc). There was nothing visually amiss with the boot seal but a new one completely cured the fume issue. Clive Manvers was my professional help at the time (RIP) and he said they were often converting sports systems back to standard for owners who couldn't live with the noise and smell (and the back panel smutting up horribly). So I pressed ahead and changed the thing for a standard system. One of the best things I've ever done with the car. That and the Limora driveshafts.

I have a Phoenix system 6 3 1 then Transverse Silencer Twin Outlets as original but on steroids.

I love it.

For the smell some get. Would a fire wall stop it?

Edited by Prefect

I've got a straight through silencer from Phoenix on my driver

post-1059-0-30197900-1484065013_thumb.jpg

... which is quiet enough for X-country, doesn't allow the exhaust fumes into the cabin ( Surrey top / backlight, note ). The rub is that Phoenix used to make these with a bundle of perforated tubes in the stream path but no longer can as their source dried up. Hence they are louder nowadays :( . I'll be hanging on to this one!

and a large bore cross box, also from Phoenix, in my concours car

post-1059-0-48498700-1484065269_thumb.jpg

...which is louder than I'd want to take more than about 30-40 miles at a stretch, nor does it bring fumes into the cockpit. As for smudging the rear bodywork, mine are Webered so burn too clean for that ^_^ !

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Cliff

I had the moss twin exhaust fitted to my 6 when i bought it, no issue with smells also sounded good.

A couple of years ago i changed it for the TRshop Single pipe. very well made and sounds amazing, its very quiet when just cruising around town, but once you give the loud peddle a squeeze then this when the grin gets larger. :D:D:D

No issue on long runs either, it's not an issue at motorway speeds . :ph34r:

8577d5a8-50cd-4f04-9acd-d1ca0383ab0f_zps

fullsizeoutput_9b1_zps8hqpkqve.jpeg

Edited by Clarkey

Hi Cliff

I had the moss twin exhaust fitted to my 6 when i bought it, no issue with smells also sounded good.

A couple of years ago i changed it for the TRshop Single pipe. very well made and sounds amazing, its very quiet when just cruising around town, but once you give the loud peddle a squeeze then this when the grin gets larger. :D:D:D

No issue on long runs either, it's not an issue at motorway speeds . :ph34r:

8577d5a8-50cd-4f04-9acd-d1ca0383ab0f_zps

fullsizeoutput_9b1_zps8hqpkqve.jpeg

+1

cracking system as you have found out and good VFM

yeah, but that twin exhaust just looks soooooooooooooo nice! the scparts one really looks like the bell system that tucks up better than the other ones. (SCparts says they make their own systems)

s-l500.jpg

yeah, but that twin exhaust just looks soooooooooooooo nice! the scparts one really looks like the bell system that tucks up better than the other ones. (SCparts says they make their own systems)

s-l500.jpg

Then buy it and learn the hard way.

I have a Falcon SS wheelbarrow system and non std manifold. Not sure where the previous owner bought that from. Is it the the same as the Phoenix system or ?????

Neil you and I shoot from the hip and ask questions later dear boy! Totally agree let him buy whatever he wants but don't say later he wished he hadn't !

These twin exhausts are not right for a TR5/6 they look like a couple of wheelbarrow handles, peashooters I call them, not the right note and certainly way noisier than standard.

Alan G

Edited by cp25616

I appreciate everyone's input on this....that is why I asked, you some different brands on your side of the pond. I have not made my mind up yet as to replacement. Personally I like the "wheel barrow" look on the car, don't mind louder but not defining. As I have some more pressing issues I will punt this down the road a little.

Thank you - Cliff

Cliff,

Buy two yards of 1" wide elastic and a cheap roll of white wool - you will need a couple of yards

Stitch or knot the ends of the elastic together to form a loop, Sew or knot about 9" to a foot of wool every 6" down half of the elastic. Total cost 1$'ish

Open boot lid and slip the elastic (tightly) over the boot lid so the wool tell-tales are on the outside of the car.

Go for a drive down the street.

You will, or I do, notice that at any speed over 25-30mph the wool tell-tales switch from pointing to the rear of the car to pointing towards the cockpit. (poor mans' wind tunnel)

and at any speed above 30mph the tell tales point determinedly towards the cockpit - a demonstration of the Kamm effect.

And the fumes from the twin exhausts come along with the airflow straight into your lungs, perhaps you will smell it, perhaps you won't, but it's a sure fire thing that it is not going to do your lungs any good after driving for a few hours!

The original exhaust vents to one side of the car and you will see any tell-tale in that area still points rearwards.

Probably twin exhausts, one in each corner would be OK, just not so close to the centre line.

Alan