I can buy the hard top that was sold new with my car the hard top has been outside for several years obviously as the car has been re-sprayed it won't be usable and I doubt I would ever use it anyway.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping members can help me with.

Firstly in the unlikely event that I sell the car would it add value?

Secondly bearing in mind the condition what is it worth?

Thanks and Regards. John Harvey.

My view as TR6 PI owner (2x TR6 bought both in '86, Hard Top on the 1st one (sold in the '90) and HT bough 2 years ago for the 2nd one I still have) + Stag owner bough in '96 w/o an HT

Adding value:

- The HT can be a parameter to close te deal

- The cost to buy a second hand HT+ restoration is fare more then at the initial stage

=> No real added value but will increase opportunity to attract a buyer. Some like it some no ! At the end, it is your choice

Market price 2nd hand HT:

- It is depending the condition, for example in France I bought a HT last year in good condition (No rust,no bump but need preparation prior a re-spray, all parts but need a new headlining and to change all seals to be in top condition) and near my place (less then 20 km) for 400 €.

- Take care to receive all the small parts (Moulders & finishers) and the front and sides brackets and acc to fix the HT (Lost most of the time by the PO and not easy to find on the market).

Last parameter....

Will you use it ?

- Depending your approach, Now I am used to use my TR6 and Stag all around the year as an open car (Soft top down) to enjoy the concept

- It is pleasure to use also the car w/ the HT, but I prefer to keep the opportunity to be w/o delay on a soft top down mode.

and keep in mind you will have to store the HT on a safe place all around the year.

FYI: In the '80, I used the HT at least 2 times to go skiing in the alps (Val Thorens alt. 1850 m w/ the PI Lucas system, at night and snow on the road !) w/ the ski on a roof rack on top of the HT. What a pleasure...

At the end, I like to have the HT w/ the car..... on my TR6 under restoration, I find an HT last year and I am happy. On my Stag I struggled to find a HT at a low price in good body condition but w/ missing parts and now I am struggling to find them.

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Hi John,

OEM hard tops seem to have come back into fashion. A number of cars in our group have suddenly blossomed with them! I think that the wife's have a being on this. From not being worth very much to being worth £500+ for a minter! I am just about to refurb mine after 40+ years of use. I asked a well known Triumph Restorer what price he charges to restore and he quoted £1000????. That included strip the whole HT down to bare metal, re-spray, re-rubber/glass and new head lining. Do you have the fittings to mount it?? As there is a market for these alone and this would affect the worth, to some people.

Bruce..

I had one on my 6 back in the 80's/90's when it was my daily driver. (It went on in the winter). I think they look good with a h/t; better than with the soft-top up. I'd keep hold of it if you have the storage available. They will become rarer..............

Storage was a pain back in the day with no garage but if this isn't an issue for you I'd go for it!

I had one in my garage for years...massive to store...never used it and eventually put it on ebay...sold for 99 pounds with 1 bid ....if you get one make sure your going to use it!

As for value..not a lot from my experiances!

I had one. Put it on for the first winter (it was my daily driver in those days) but never bothered to do so again.

Put the roof down whenever possible.

Likewise I have a hard top for the Stag that went on for 1 winter.

Open top motoring is what they were meant for. But that's just my opinion.

TR6 looks great with a hard top in my opinion and can certainly hold the shell together a bit better. Mines a bit ropey but as my soft top has dropped to bits it's doing a job till spring :)

Your motor looks great with that ropey hard top!

Winston

I think a hard top really suits the car and gives it a distinctive profile. It's also very helpful for longer driving as it reduces the factors that can be tiring (e.g. wind noise, traffic noise, tyre noise) over distance. Yes, you lose the close-to-nature breeze-through-hair feeling, but you can take it off and replace it with your soft top at any time. It's a flexible adaptation.

I also like the idea of "preserving the original part" as this helps Triumph pasts remain alive and not end up in a skip.

As also mentioned, you do need to store it carefully as well as maintain it. I have become lazy and store it mainly on the car ! :) My soft top has an easy life wrapped up in the garage.

post-12494-0-16574800-1484307460_thumb.jpg

Whether it increases the value is possibly debatable?

But a restoration is a seriously expensive business. I am not yet finished having mine restored, and by the time I buy the remaining bits of 'hardware',it will be in excess of £1000!

But to those that have never experienced to difference the hard top makes to the car, I believe the expenditure to be worthwhile as it totally transforms the whole driving experience on a cold day!

Whether it increases the value is possibly debatable?

But a restoration is a seriously expensive business. I am not yet finished having mine restored, and by the time I buy the remaining bits of 'hardware',it will be in excess of £1000!

But to those that have never experienced to difference the hard top makes to the car, I believe the expenditure to be worthwhile as it totally transforms the whole driving experience on a cold day!

What are you missing?

The TR6 looks good with the factory hard top and can make late autumn and early spring drives more comfortable for those of us that dont live in San Diego. It can be the differentiator when considering two otherwise comparable cars for purchase and similarly when people evalute two cars at a car show. The converse argument is that many people that have them never fit them and they just take up space.

Stan

These days I would not dare to leave my car top open in a city street, to many people around that can't stand classic cars or too many that cant keep their

hands off.

The last thing stolen from my car were the tyre valve caps displaying the Triumph badge, fortunately it was the only item the could lay their hands on.