Hard Top and Ridgard Seats - Thoughts - Possibly for Sale

Hi Gents (and Ladies)

Despite two close misses, Olde Shiney is still for sale.

A tiny area of paint bubbles on an arch lip (above sound metal) on a 1" X 3" patch needs to be addressed as it seems to be scarring people considering purchasing a 59 year old car car with an otherwise very good finish - you wonder what they expect - new BMW finish !

However, the inclusion of the options of with or without hard top and with or without the Ridgard seats seems to confuse some making inquiries. For example, all parties seem to ask what was wrong with the original seats rather than what is good about the Ridgards ! Whilst I like the hardtop look, one enquirer was put off as removing it is really a 2-person job unless you rig up a pair of bike lifts in the garage.

I am therefore debating whether to sell these separately and put it back on the market with the traditional seats and soft top setup.

I have re-dyed the original seats and they look fine.

Question 1 - do sidescreen owners think that the Ridgard seats and hardtop actually deter potential buyers ?

Question 2 - anyone interested in either ? The seats are mounted on a generic sliding / tilting seat base for a 4/5, but having drilled an extra hole in the seat base - they fit straight into existing holes on the 3 and would obviously fit a 4 (or 5 ?) - the hard top is in signal red - solid metal, gutters and all seals fitted, rear screen original put OK. One tiny mark on paint (signal red). Inside skin was cleaned before being trimmed (you might re-trim to suit)

6ABA4C65-8814-43A7-919D-C77FAE24B307_zps

IMG_8757_zps6unpqvnl.jpg

IMG_7747_zpsvrgr2izu.jpg

DC1CBD53-D061-49F3-A7CA-F384C884B7BD_zps

fullsizeoutput_fb6_zpseuruoeln.jpeg

IMG_9681_zpsx7iburol.jpg

Do you have the soft top as hard top only would put me off a little (but only because I'd think I'd have to spend £300+ getting a new one fitted - to me the hardtop is quite an attractive option to have and I would prefer it included in the sale).

I would sell with the hard top, but if someone objects (I haven't a clue why to be honest unless you don't have the soft top) offer to knock £500 off the price.

In terms of the seats, Sods law says you take them out and fit the originals and it will be someone with a bad back that looks, then you swap them over and the next person wants originality.

I think overall though an original car is always easier to sell than a modified one because there is nothing to consider/argue/worry about.

I perhaps wouldn't confuse the sale with two prices. Price it up with everything then offer to knock a few quid off if they don't want them. I would have thought the seats and hardtop would be worth more selling separately than on the car anyway.

Don't know how much you are asking but that looks

like a lovely car.

I would suggest you advertise it WITHOUT hardtop

and with a choice of EITHER Ridgard or original

seats, and say that the hardtop and alternative

seats are available at a reasonable extra.

Maybe the hardtop fittings should be removed to

be sold with the hardtop (unless the fittings are

replaceable new).

Not too many of us fit into bucket seats and the

concept of a TR3 is open air motoring.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I have those Ridgard seats in my TR4. After 1000 miles in Ireland last year, Mrs 4Mal declared them the most comfy seats of any car we have. and they are pretty good to get in and out of.

I think the car as packaged is an attractive option - if I had the readys, I'd be very tempted - but it comes down to what folk want.

Is not the issue with Rigard seats the headrests that do not go beneath a tonneau without either pockets sewn in the tonneau (looks like shite) or sliding the seat forward and reclining it (if reclinable)

For me the comfort and support they provide is better than standard seats.

Hard top is a delight for stiffening the shell and chassis for sporting use and keeps the cockpit cosy in the winter. - Getting sidescreens to fit both hard and soft tops can be a faf.

As stated above - If selling the car - remove hardtop and Rigard seats and offer as separate items. Fit standard seats with soft top and tonneau.

Peter W

Hi Peter, the Ridgards have a simple removable headrests, so they fit under the tonneau fine (I can be used without headrests if desired)

my sidescreens line up with the hard top quite neatly, and OK with the softy - they are less inclined to meet the stanchions so neatly, but that is a result of years of being closed over the wind deflectors !

Your ad is too fussy.

Market the car at the price you want, 'as is'

In my opinion with the seats and without the hardtop, for a set price.

Know what the hardtop is worth, sure you do, and either be prepared to 'chuck it in ' to seal the deal, or have it to sell separately

John.

Edited by john

Your ad is too fussy.

Market the car at the price you want, 'as is'

In my opinion with the seats and without the hardtop, for a set price.

Know what the hardtop is worth, sure you do, and either be prepared to 'chuck it in ' to seal the deal, or have it to sell separately

John.

+1

The market will decide at the end of the day.