Black or Tan?

Hi Chaps,

Am powering along with the reassembly of the TR post respray and have now got to sorting the interior..

The car has been repsrayed in original Pimento and the interior was black.

Am toying with replacing it with a tan interior.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers

Tim

Tan interior colour is one of my favorites and will look good with Pimento, I have always liked this combination in the later Stags?

It will be harder to keep clean than black though?

Hi Tim

Tan for me too. My RHD TR250 is racing green and originally had black trim. The previous owner changed to grey with green piping, which looked ok, but not to my taste. I've changed to tan interior but with a black hood and tonneau. I was lucky enough to pick up a cancelled order complete leather interior (except for seats), which had white piping, so have had my replacement MX5 seats covered to match. I'm happy with the white piping as I believe original TR seats had white piping, irrespective of the other colours on the car.

On my MG I've got red body with tan interior, black hood and tonneau and love it. I chose not to go with red piping and haven't regretted it.

Tan is a little more difficult to keep clean, but I've got some cheap polythene covers I put over the seats when laid up over the winter or while working on the cars.

I'm not too bothered by originality on any of my cars as I never intend to sell them. They are mine and its how I feel when in the car that's most important to me. I can understand why some do keep original, but that's their choice.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Tim

Tan for me too. My RHD TR250 is racing green and originally had black trim. The previous owner changed to grey with green piping, which looked ok, but not to my taste. I've changed to tan interior but with a black hood and tonneau. I was lucky enough to pick up a cancelled order complete leather interior (except for seats), which had white piping, so have had my replacement MX5 seats covered to match. I'm happy with the white piping as I believe original TR seats had white piping, irrespective of the other colours on the car.

On my MG I've got red body with tan interior, black hood and tonneau and love it. I chose not to go with red piping and haven't regretted it.

Tan is a little more difficult to keep clean, but I've got some cheap polythene covers I put over the seats when laid up over the winter or while working on the cars.

I'm not too bothered by originality on any of my cars as I never intend to sell them. They are mine and its how I feel when in the car that's most important to me. I can understand why some do keep original, but that's their choice.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by stuart

I'm obviously against the crowd... Black.

Like the rugby team...

Ok.. Thanks for the amazing response.

Before the car went for respray it was pimento with a black with red piping leather interior (which i would probably sell on if I change if anyone is interested).

It did look better than all black but I have an MG midget which is cream with a dark red interior and kind of like the contrasting look.

I guess the other issue is that I am thinking of swapping to MX5 seats (the ones with the separate head rests). I have bought a pair (in black/grey velour) and made the brackets. I would have to have them recovered. Tan again? Or black?

Cheers

Tim

Ok.. Thanks for the amazing response.

Before the car went for respray it was pimento with a black with red piping leather interior (which i would probably sell on if I change if anyone is interested).

It did look better than all black but I have an MG midget which is cream with a dark red interior and kind of like the contrasting look.

I guess the other issue is that I am thinking of swapping to MX5 seats (the ones with the separate head rests). I have bought a pair (in black/grey velour) and made the brackets. I would have to have them recovered. Tan again? Or black?

Cheers

Tim

Would be interested in interior/seats Tim.Let me know more details and price.

Regards

Richard.

Ok currently looking like 8 for tan and 7 for black so within error looks like a split decision..

Going to get some samples from tr shop for the carpet and vinyl and also see if i can match MX5 seat covers..

Cheers

tim

As I have not been flamed for suggesting Black with red piping, you could go on to the next stage and have all your black carpets edged in red as well

My French blue car has black leather piped in blue and black carpets edged in blue. I think it just adds a little something to a bleak all black interior

If your preference is tan have you thought of adding dark brown piping and edging to that?

Just my tuppence worth

kc

Pimento was available with New tan as well as black and the TR250/TR5 always had white piping except with tan seats which ironically came with white piping or with tan piping. I recently changed my black trim to New tan in my Carmine TR6 and its lovely just lovely!

Alan G

Showed the colour options to my wife last night and she really liked the light tan option. So looks like that'll be what I am doing :-)

Tim