TR6 dials

Hello Folks

I have been renovating my rev counter for a number of months now. 1st of all changed it from mechanical to electronic using the Italian kit. Next step which has taken some time was to replace the damaged and pitted bezels. News ones are available but they are all chrome and I like the original look.

So designed a paint mask in CAD and sent it off for 3D printing. Results of my efforts I have to say, is 9 out of 10 for originality.

Just need to finish the other 5 gauges and the rest of the car now.

Have a look at the attached for a few photos.

post-10878-0-78917300-1482839463_thumb.jpg

post-10878-0-06561900-1482839509_thumb.jpg

post-10878-0-51262500-1482839531_thumb.jpg

Great idea to use 3d printing! Where did you get it done?

Tim

Hello Tim

My brother did the CAD work and sent it off for printing as a Christmas present, but I am working on a light weight design to keep cost down.

3D printing is not cheap and not all of those out there have the ability they claim to have

James

I am very interested to see 3D printing being put to good use in clever ways like this, we use it a lot at work and the Engineers are always making small brackets and clips for their own use like helmet mounts for cameras and lights, or parts in the engine bay of their cars.

Right now I am working on a project for a new throttle body design for the TR6 engine, which will be very similar to the original but incorporate modern spindle design with bearings, injector port sizing, fuel rail mounts etc. but it will have the correct angles and bore differentiation / length as per the original. The reason for this is that I am converting my US import (re-import?) car to EFI from carbs, and although I have a complete (and good condition) late injection system, I am not happy with the way the throttle bodies work.

You can see here we have just roughly printed the first part of the throttle body that mates to the head to check the part matching and angles, some tweeking is required, once we have re-done this a few times and I am happy with this, we will print the complete TB and mount it up. The printing is good enough that you can form threads and screw items together, we do this all the time for the shock designs we make.

post-14749-0-43534100-1482895342_thumb.jpg

post-14749-0-67836100-1482895359_thumb.jpg

Once the project is finished I will be casting them in aluminium and if they work out well, then they could be made available...

As a separate aside, I have a full working set of TR6 instruments for sale, in good condition, as I have had Smiths make me a new custom set - 4" main gauges and the rest 52mm but with custom bezels and fully electronic and LED lit. If anyone is interested.

Thanks! Guy