Radiator intrigue

Been doing a bit of research into a new radiator for BUO's rebuild. I must admit I knew there were to types the pre CP75000 and the post but I thought it was just a repositioning of the of the bottom outlet (although why I've no idea) but when Looking at alloy rads ( que some running for crucifix and holy water) sold by Moss the pre 7500 rads have the rad cap on the top of the rad wheras the post 7500 rads have the cap inset into the top of the rad, any ideas why ?

Racestorations appear to only sell the post 75000 type

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/cooling-system/radiators-hoses-fittings/aluminium-radiators-420355.html

ATB Graham

Hi Roger

Haven't decided yet As per the post title I was just intrigued by the differences and wanted to understand them

ATB

Graham

Perhaps by weight ?

Flow,...

In the relatively early days of manufacturer made alloy rads to roadgoing cars one of the TR racing mods in the 1980s was fitting an Alloy and plastic rad from a Metro, as per the car in my avatar.

The water carrying channels were proportionately larger and in a hot engine running at high revs with almost constant water flow with a bolted open thermostat to give precise engine temp ranges the alloy rads worked well...Ohh and they are loads lighter which is what you search for in a race car.

Whether the manufactured alloy rads to suit classic cars carry the same advantages I'm not sure, as Roger says the copper rads have an inherent advantage shedding heat better and the quality of alloy rads sold by e bay for the classic market sometimes leaves something to be desired, but of course is balanced by the idea that alloy everything (if not stainless steel) is better on a TR...isn't it ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Many of those early rads came via yours truly . . . . my pals at Transpeed (Hove) acquired a batch of Metro 'seconds', perfect other than that the mounting brackets were a few millimetres adrift, and I was able to pass them on at a fraction of the rrp, absolute bargain.. I suspect that John Welburn (black TR2) was the first to try one, looking to save a few kilos at the front end, then everyone wanted one, I sold dozens of the things !!

Happy Days ! :D

Cheers

Alec