Thoroughbreds change rules to ban Modsports MGBV8s

Are TR Racers, definately worth an entry this year.

A fast TR should be a lot nearer the front now this coming season. Seems they have seen sense in getting rid of these cars that were were dominating the front of the races, so grids numbers dropping right off. Hopefully bring back the good times of the series,

Unfortunately it probably means that the Championship could fold by reason of lack of numbers - Pam needs firm commitment from as many competitors as possible, as soon as possible, or it may not be viable to run - which would be a great shame!

I'll be entering. Not sure how many rounds I'll do.

Loots like Pam now resigned as secretary, no idea who chairman is now. News letter is saying get series back to a 50/60's focused one without the modsports mgbv8 (the main reason I started doing less and less of them). Doubtful on TR7/8's as lay 70's, but you could ask.

As i understand it Jon you would/will still be racing against the BCV8 big boys as the plan is / was to run a split grid so you will be starting 30 seconds behind the BCV8 grid [ they will catch you even sooner ].The difference being that they will not be scoring Thoroughbred points.Other small spec BCV8 championship cars will have to nominate which championship they wish to run in so cannot score in both.

Love racing hate politics

ROY

O tempora! O mores!

I race in CSCC, Swinging 60s. Split into two Groups, by capacity at 2 litres and number of cylinders, so a Vitesse lies between, but six cylinders forces it into Gp2. Previously, GT6s and I were Weldon's to race in Gp1, where we were competitive and not outclassed by 3+ litres. But for 2017 the rule will be enforced, apparently to "even out grid numbers".

I dont aspire to race winning, but being a perpetual back marker reduces the fun, unless I have others to race against. My car's not eligible for Thoroughbreds, but if you get fed up there,join us?!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I did see that Roy, (on split grids!). Hmmm that's a maybe then! Will likely be out on TR4 anyway in any I do.

John, my 4 was eligible for group 1 CSCC SS last year, and agree was annoyed at that rule change, ( effects gt6, 911's and 4 pot TRs), my 4 will run in class C in TSCC, I'm sure the gt6 would fit in that class and be reasonably competive in it.

My Vitesse would, if it was a GT6.

But Vitesses are not 'sports cars', and not listed in the series' eligibles!

I had that problem in my first racing season. I turned up to compete in the 750MC's "RoadSports" series, to be told the same. Even though Vitesse was an eligible car, the saloon didn't look like a sports car. Bless him, the well-known cheese-monger and fast driver Kevin Ginger went to see the Secretary and came back with permission to continue, as long as I made it into a coupe for the future. Would I have to do the same to race in Thoroughbreds?

John

PS Looking back at my post, I see that the idiot spell checker has invented a new Cockney rhyming slang word, "GT6s and I were Weldon's to race in Gp1"!

In line with the difficult quizzes for this season, can anyone suggest what a "Weldon's" is? J.

Edited by john.r.davies

My Vitesse would, if it was a GT6.

But Vitesses are not 'sports cars', and not listed in the series' eligibles!

I had that problem in my first racing season. I turned up to compete in the 750MC's "RoadSports" series, to be told the same. Even though Vitesse was an eligible car, the saloon didn't look like a sports car. Bless him, the well-known cheese-monger and fast driver Kevin Ginger went to see the Secretary and came back with permission to continue, as long as I made it into a coupe for the future. Would I have to do the same to race in Thoroughbreds?

John

PS Looking back at my post, I see that the idiot spell checker has invented a new Cockney rhyming slang word, "GT6s and I were Weldon's to race in Gp1"!

In line with the difficult quizzes for this season, can anyone suggest what a "Weldon's" is? J.

You can Weldon a Towing Eye in case it's needed for the Coupe.

John. Maybe this is subtly telling you that it might be best to move on from the Vitesse (not looking to P*ss you off).

Could you get a GT6 for a Restoration or a just a good road car and drop in your existing drive train to reduce costs?

Not put out by the suggestion, at all!

After the 'Ring disaster for Silverback, I did think of a different car, Capris were attractive, but I have a garageful of Triumph spares and bits, and dare I say it, some knowledge and expertise.

GT6? I'm tall, I barely fit in the Vitesse. My only thing against the CSCC's 40 minute race format, that compels a pit stop (it allows driver-sharing, a good idea) and that a solo driver gets out and then back in again, is that folding myself in half, especially with the helmet and HANS on, would be even harder in one of those!

And I would point out that the CSCC will be racing on the full International Silverstone Circuit in May, and the Classic K series at Brands GP Circuit in September, as well as a trip to Spa in June. Exciting stuff!

John

PS Looking at the MGCC's site and dates for 2017, reminds me - British Motor Heritage 4 Hour Classic Relay Race, Snetterton, October 2017. See a different thread:

Hi John,

Try talking to Clive Gimson- runs and races a GT6 he is quite tall - see your photo proposing a 6 hr Triumph team - his GT6 and his height (seems to fold into the car OK)

Michael H

John i do not know why your vitesse would not be allowed in swinging 60s as several other saloons are in.

Sure that there are other races on their calendar that would accommodate you.

Re the driver change over they have allowed drivers to stay in the car but with a time penalty.

Yes Clive has been out in thoroughbreds.

Roy

John

Ideally you need to find another competitor for Swinging 60's with a car in the same class as yours and then you could enter as a 2 car 2 driver team, then the problem of getting out of the car and getting back in would not be a problem!

Jellison,

Yes, an open car would make getting in or out easier.

But an open Vitesse is a much 'looser' car, even with a roll cage, as well of course as having more air drag.

roy,

Thank you, but I will be in Sw.60s, just in Gp. 2 with the big boys! I hope with some GT6's and other TRs.

If the same driver does the whole race, then they have to get out and close the door before reopening and getting back in.

Mike,

I'd gladly form a team!

2 car, 2 drivers teams are allowed, can't recall how the exchange is done, but yes, no getting in and out under pressure, but the pit stop does make for exciting racing!

Exchanging cars halfway through would put it the pressure back and make folr some interesting tactics!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

John

There is no exchanging of cars. As the 1st driver comes in for the pitstop in his car the 2nd driver is held for 30 seconds in his car before being released into the race. Rob Cowing and myself have been racing this way in Swinging 60's for several seasons and it works well.

John you can stay in the car. it used to be a 1 minute stop go but now as Mike says it seems to be 30 secs. it's a handicap though as some do the change in16 secs

It has been 30 seconds for a few years now and as Roy says some teams can do the change in 16 secs! One disadvantage of course is that the second car goes out mid-race on cold tyres and cold brakes while all the other cars have done several laps.

Thoroughbreds have come out with a programe of three events with double headers at each and no V8s bigger than 3.5 so excluding the group of very fast 3.9 V8s

Michael

BUT how do you register for the series, Noting on the website mentioning 2017! Not sure they have a chairman and the Sec (Pam) has stood down, no one to contact from what I can find. How do you run a series with out people to contact?