Compressor question

My compressor has sprung a leak, its an italian made 'Wolf air' and its leaking are from the little box that has the pressure gauges/safety cut out switch on it on ? it was working fine then started to whistle a bit and now al of the air simply appears to be leaking away ……any suggestion for what it might be and if its worth fixing ?

ATB Graham

This is probably your pressostat.

It has a vent to atmosphere to depressurize the cylinder discharge line by means of a non return valve, and this non return valve may be dirty.

The discharge depressurization enables easy start.

Waldi

Inside that little box you will find a rubber diaphragm that has split or perished ,it controls the max pressure and cuts the motor. they are available on the net but if you want to have a go at it just make a new one out of an old inner tube, worth fixing.

Graham

Edited by Graham Harris

Inside that little box you will find a rubber diaphragm that has split or perished ,it controls the max pressure and cuts the motor. they are available on the net but if you want to have a go at it just make a new one out of an old inner tube, worth fixing.

Graham

Graham, many thanks, you were spot on its one of these central-pneumatic-model-388897-regulator-diaphgram-21819770.jpg but by the look of it made of compound of unobtainium and rocking horse p** plated with hens teeth so have ordered a bit of rubber sheet to see if I can cut a new one

ATB Graham

Edited by Graham

My Clarke Industrial compressor was losing all it's stored air when switched off, from within the auto switch box, so I ordered and fitted a new one. Still leaked all air to zero! Problem was not in the box but a worn seal in the non-return valve in the compressor to tank feed pipe. Dohhh!

Yes, that non return valve can cause problems.

I recently repaired one for a friend - the rubber seal (looks like a cylinder) had worn a circular groove where it contacted the metal pipe end.

Cure was (& I did not expect this to work) to pop it in the lathe, & turn off a mm or so to get back to a flat surface. it worked a treat !

Bob.

Common fault then Bob.

Flatted mine off on a sheet of emery paper.

ps like your new signature pictures! :) ( but now they've disappeared! )

Edited by Les

Yes, that non return valve can cause problems.

I recently repaired one for a friend - the rubber seal (looks like a cylinder) had worn a circular groove where it contacted the metal pipe end.

Cure was (& I did not expect this to work) to pop it in the lathe, & turn off a mm or so to get back to a flat surface. it worked a treat !

Bob.

+1 Have this issue on my compressor and have repaired using a flat tap washer. You can buy just the pellet to go in some of the more common valves.

Here is a range of compressor check valves from a supplier I would not use, but is an useful catalogue of what is on offer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/compressor-check-valve/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acompressor%20check%20valve

Find the type you have, then search for it from a supplier that hopefully pays UK tax.

Peter W