Oil Filter Insanity

All
there have been a couple of threads regarding engine oil filters recently and some cross references have been supplied.

Where cross referenced filters have been used and shown to work, then there is no issue, however;

I was in the process of putting together a usable cross reference, based on filters that can be relied on.

I have added the recently supplied information and took about 15 minutes on the web to extend the spreadsheet based on information supplied by just filter suppliers.

My message is;

Please do not take any information regarding compatibility at face value

In addition, do not take information on manufacturers web sites at face value either, for example;

I am using a K&N HP2009, am happy with it and will continue to use them, unless something provably better comes along

These statements are from the K&N web site;

Our oil filters also use a resin impregnated cellulose filter media. This allows for higher flow rates while providing outstanding filtration

They are able to handle heavy duty applications and block 99% of foreign material.

for "resin impregnated cellulose" read Paper.

This does not offer outstanding filtration, it is mediocre at best, but it is all that is currently offered by the industry

Note the use of the word 'block' in place of 'remove'

To remove 99% of the particulates generated, paper media pack would need to be extremely thick, which would create unacceptable differential pressure. Using 'block' tells us nothing

If K&N are not offering good info, you can be sure that the cheaper boys are even less forthcoming.

Note

If someone can tell me how to upload an xlsx spreadsheet, I will add the cross reference to show the variation in dimensions between 'compatible' products

I'd be interested to see your comparison.

As for uploading xls files i just tried and could attach an xls using the 'choose file' button.

Steve

Hi John,

just had a look on the web and it is very unhelpful. http://mycarneedsthis.com/the-best-oil-filters-and-reviews-guide/

Firstly I looked for the best 5 filters and there is a list of 7.

The glorious details tell you how well the canister is made and the filter is glued into position - wow.

How big is the hole in the middle - is it metric or UNF - no chance.

Utter rubbish.

Roger

Here's an old list of filters that cross reference with the FRAM 3600 series...It's just a list of those filters that fit, not necessarily identical features:

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/PH3600

And here is a list from the same period of filters of the same size as the FRAM 3614 which is shorter than the 3600:

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/PH3614

If you see a brand and filter that you like, you can go to the manufacturer's online site and read up on whatever features they choose to reveal such as:

http://www.fram.com/support/tech-specs.aspx

I for one would appreciate a list of currently available filters known to be satisfactory by TR6 owners. Some old lists found on the web concentrate on the thread diameter and physical dimensions-ignoring everything else.

Sorry I can't help with advice on uploading a spreadsheet- took me a while to work out how to resize a photo to meet the site requirements and then attach it.

Thanks Poolboy, I'm happy to use the Ryco Z 37 as recommended by Australian members Andrew and Andy. The FRAM was highly recommended by TR6 and Jag owners but the only way I could get one was to import it from the UK or US.

And thanks for your advice on the threaded nipple in the adapter - I am now repairing the old one. One of the changes that's occurred with the Triumph parts suppliers here over the last 10-15 years is that they have drastically reduced their floor stock holdings- there was no new adapter available in Melbourne that I could inspect before purchase.

Gents

I'll have another go tomorrow AM

Originally tried twice, but, no go, said couldn't upload files 'of this type' ???

Cross referencing old filters could, and all too often was, a nightmare 20 years ago when I was managing a motor factoring concern.

Just because one filter will physically FIT a location does NOT mean that it is an appropriate substitute for the specified filter.

Many of the 'spin-on conversions' offered over the years (for all marques) failed to even specify a particular filter, or mayhap suggested incompatible options . . . . . sheer ignorance I suspect, the supplier focusing on what might be persuaded to fit, as opposed to what could do a proper job.

Caveat emptor most definitely applies when it comes to altered filter fitments . . . . . . which is why our classic cars retain OE filter systems.

If I was looking for a spin-on filter, let alone a conversion kit, I'd be referring to the likes of TR Enterprises, Revingtons, TRGB, for example . . . . . guys who actually build engines as opposed to merely supplying parts, and have to rely on their own judgement or pay the penalty.

Sure the filter will probably cost more than from a classic parts supermarketeer . . . . . you are paying for advice and experience after all. How much does an engine rebuild cost ?

Cheers

Alec

All of them ??

Anyway, here's a link that might be useful in searching for desirable alternatives.

http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php?view=filter_info&model=PH3600

For comparison:

http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php?view=filter_info&model=W%20712

Edited by poolboy

Oil filters:
Short:

Wix WL7074
Wix 7250
Fram PH2964
Cooper Z121
Unipart GFE173
Champion C106
Halfords HOF265

Long:

Wix 7090
Unipart GFE 227
Fram PH2825A

Personally I can find nothing wrong with the Halfords incarnation.
However here is a link any one will open up a further list.

www.oilfilter-crossreference.com

edit to make the link live.

Edited by daven

Gents

I'll have another go tomorrow AM

Originally tried twice, but, no go, said couldn't upload files 'of this type' ???

John

The easiest way is probably to host it as a pdf through a dropbox or sync vault. If you don't have one, I'm happy to do upload it for you, but you'll need to email me the file.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulAA

Or you could take a screen shot of the spreadsheet, save it as a jpeg and upload that ? Otherwise anyone not using Microsoft won't be able to read the file without converting it to another format.

Or you could take a screen shot of the spreadsheet, save it as a jpeg and upload that ? Otherwise anyone not using Microsoft won't be able to read the file without converting it to another format.

Rob

Thought of that . . . too big

Besides, I use Kingsoft Office, not Microsoft (Too expensive . . Kingsoft is free, give it a try)

John

The easiest way is probably to host it as a pdf through a dropbox or sync vault. If you don't have one, I'm happy to do upload it for you, but you'll need to email me the file.

Cheers

Paul

Paul, PM an email address and I will send you a copy

Or print tp pdf and upload that.

Duh

pdf . . . . . .thanks Don

This was a 15 minute job to get and a few more to tidy up

It would not take long to get it to 1000+ references and beyond

My point is just . . . . .don't just assume that because the site / chart / book says it is a fit, that it fits

There are 3 criteria and they must ALL meet to full fill the ' replacement' criteria, they are;

- Form; it must look the same, with the same critical dimensions (seal ID / OD / Section, Thread design, mating face dimensions)

- Fit; It must fit in the space designed for it whilst meeting the 'Form' requirements

- Function; It must do the same (or better) job

Don't just accept the story printed by the suppliers in literature or on web sites, it is usually suspect

Filtration is a dark art, the preserve of the chosen few, who are trained from birth to understand, if we do not follow their teachings, catastrophe will befall us . . . . . . . .Fear is often used to persuade the unsure.

The best advice . . . .

Listen to the Forum! There is always someone there with the knowledge and experience to help us through our moments of doubt

Use a known International brand;

in this case the likes of K & N, Unipart, Bosch, Donaldson, Knecht(Mahle) . . . .if they meet the form, fit and function rules.

TR6 Oil filter X ref v1.0.pdf

Edited by wjgco

For those of us in 'down here' the Ryco units DO include a pressure bypass valve

"RYCO oil filters incorporate a safety relief valve (often referred to as a bypass valve). This valve allows oil to bypass the filter should the filter become blocked due to the lack of vehicle servicing, or when starting the engine in extremely cold conditions and the oil has become exceptionally thick"

Source: http://www.rycofilters.com.au/library/tips/about_oil_filters.pdf

Nice to know.

• 3 years later...
On 12/14/2016 at 9:32 AM, DaveN said:

Oil filters:
Short:

Wix WL7074
Wix 7250
Fram PH2964
Cooper Z121
Unipart GFE173
Champion C106
Halfords HOF265

Long:

Wix 7090
Unipart GFE 227
Fram PH2825A

Personally I can find nothing wrong with the Halfords incarnation.
However here is a link any one will open up a further list.

www.oilfilter-crossreference.com

edit to make the link live.

Very useful thanks Dave 

Bob