195/65R15H; Your views please

You can run whatever wheel and tyre size you wish as long as it complies with legislation and has the same size all round. If you decide not to tell the insurer you are running non standard wheels and tyres you risk being exposed in the event of an accident, insurers have been known to decline cover on the basis of increased risk by numerous various justifications, just as running non standard engine modifications would do the same.

A mix of wheel material steels and alloys shouldn't give cause for concern as long as the offsets and sizing's are the same.

Mick Richards

Edit:Beaten by Alec to the post.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

So presumably anyone that is running their TR6 on tyre sizes that are different from those that it left the factory with needs to advise their insurance company that the vehicle has been modified otherwise in the event of a claim the insurance company can say the policy is invalid?

Whether the policy would be a cause for discussion (argument) and be judged invalid is a possibility just as having a non standard engine modification could also intrude into the claims process. Especially if the claim was based around a road traffic accident where the non standard tyres were judged a contributory cause and hadn't been previously declared.

It's as well to apply commercial common sense to any deviation from a standard vehicle specification, why would ANY company accept any and all modifications which impinges onto their financial risk. You'll never make a mistake overestimating the capability of any insurance company to claim that non standard modifications (even painting the car a non standard colour) has compromised their insurance and use it as a reason to at least argue against payment in full.

I submit a current car build sheet with any such deviations to the insurer upon application for insurance, if it makes no difference then the insurance cost is obviously as it would have been anyway, if there is an increased cost then the extra £15 or whatever is arrived at is a small charge for hassle free claims.

Mick Richards

Absolutely any modification whatsoever from standard factory specification, even if it is an original equipment optional extra, should be declared to your brokers and insurers, no ifs no buts . . . . . . .

The increase in premium is likely to be modest indeed, and in many cases nothing at all . . . . . although from my experience the low-cost budget insurance policy is likely to apply larger increments than a premium policy. The latter can work out more cost-effective for a significantly modified car.

In contrast, omitting to declare even mundane minor modifications can and does lead to refusal of a claim on occasion . . . . . and the more serious and costly the claim, the more likely that possible refusal becomes, and the greater the collateral damage.

The financial consequences can be catastrophic - never mind your TR, that's neither here nor there. It's the other bloke you hit, the high-flying high-earning executive whose career has just been cut short . . . . . you'll be asset stripped, and then spend the rest of your natural working your bollocks off to help keep him and his family in the style to which they were accustomed.

Cheers

Alec

Set of 5 landed today from camskil, looking at recent posts am I going to have issues fitting a 195 in the boot.?

Mark

Depends on your tank.

Stuart.

Set of 5 landed today from camskil, looking at recent posts am I going to have issues fitting a 195 in the boot.?

Mark

TR6?

195 fit in my '250 boot, barely. The limiting factor on these is the cardboard panel in front; the lower edge presses on the tyre sidewall but relents after a struggle.

A 185/70 replaced it ;) .

Cheers,

Tom

Got the original tank Stuart.

Then it will be tight on an an early tank. You may have to deflate it and carry a small electric pump.

Stuart.

So does my 195 (1972 CP).

On the subject of notifying insurance, just let them know about the supercharger and my 195 tyres.. No change in premium..

Got me thinking though.. what counts as modification? Have a roll bar and mx5 seats? Would it go as far as relays on lighting circuits..?

Also interestingly my insurance firms sees a comprehensive list of things I have done to the car every couple of years when I update my agreed insurance (would save time if they just took that into account:-)

Tim

Tim,

Just keep giving them an updated modification list every year, include EVERYTHING, it's up to them to sort the wheat from the chaff, they say advise them so give it them...in spades.

If they miss the Chevvy V8 with full spec for the build as being a worthwhile case for premium increase because it's buried within headlamp wattage bulb increases, full leather upholstery, Colour change from 1963 British Racing Green to 1968 Fern Green (oh in metallic) twin 12volt plug in accessory switches etc...you get the picture...tough. The asked for it in more ways than one and once you've prepared a list just updating it yearly is not a chore unlike what it is for them to read and disseminate it.

Mick Richards

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need a spare in a 6, or any triumph for that mater

how many people have had a puncture in the last few years ?

I carry a can that blows and seals the hole,

just a thought

what do you think

pink

Not been very impressed by the fix-a-flat cans.. they are standard fitment in the renaults we have. Used them twice in flats caused by nails or screws (left the offending item in) and sure it pumped the tyre up, but it was flat again in 5 mins.

And anyhow having a hefty spare in the boot helps balance the car :-)

Cheers

Tim

If you've got vintage tyres ( Michelin XAS, XVS or XWX for examples ) a spare might become the only replacement available once they are discontinued. As Stephen's experience illustrates, they often can't be repaired.

That's why I got a 5th XWX.

Cheers,

Tom

And the gunge cans have a shelf life.

My cars has 205/70s, and a 165/80 spare, a situation that has pertained since at least 1979. In all and any car, would not be without a spare.

Ivor

Strange what the British Insurance says... :unsure: My contract clearly indicates that in case of a modification to the vehicle the Insurance will only fall back on you if the specific modification is THE REASON of the accident.

Only a serious increase of engine performance will have to be notified as it triggers an increase of annual premium which is based on engine HP. Same goes for road tax.

When changing my 6 to EFI I kept it in the range of 150HP what I paid for, but what the car never had.

Anyhow today classic cars are subject to different criterias with concern to tax and Insurance premiums

Hi

I'm sorry guys, but the choice to fit 195/65 tyres on a TR6 would only be made because of price. they don't handle as well with over sized tyres. i don't know if you have wire wheels or not, but you should not fit a 65% profile tyre with an inner tube.

you might find this interesting http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/triumph-tr6