195/65R15H; Your views please

Propose to fit these to my refurbished steel wheels.

I understand that they offer a close approximation to the original size fitted

Thoughts?

Propose to fit these to my refurbished steel wheels.

I understand that they offer a close approximation to the original size fitted

Thoughts?

Been running them for years (Yokohamas)

Stuart.

Hi John,

I've got these on my driver in Michelin Pilot Exalto. They've done about 40K miles and are in play for replacement. They are actually a little smaller in diameter than the 165-15 originals, but close enough.

The problem with 195s is the tread doesn't touch the pavement at least 1/2" in from the edge with inflation to 27 psi. Also, the choices for 195/65 don't include the highest performing models ( mine are " All Season " ).

I'm thinking to go with Michelin XWX 185/70-15s next time round because I've got 6" wide wheels, and 185s are the minimum width recommended. These are dead ringers for diameter, and though terribly expensive I expect them to be superior to the rest of the field. I've got Michelin 185-15 XAS on my show car and they absolutely smoked everything else I've had on it since 1976, Michelin Redlines, Pirelli, Avon, Dunlop and now the Pilots ( all before its extreme makeover; circa 100K miles with about 20K on the XAS tyres ). Regrettably the 185s are NLS, though 180s and 165s are available. If I had 5-1/2" wheels I'd go with the 165-15 Michelin XAS, damn the price. Original size, period correct and have no peer IMO.

Cheers,

Tom

Re: they offer a close approximation to the original size...

I calculate they have a very slightly smaller circumference than the fitted originals but so slight that it makes next to no difference at the speedo - something like a 1.3mph understatement at 70mph - and, lets face it, the chance of the speedo being accurate is a tad optimistic anyway, so nothing lost. Given that, I gave up on the (expensive) idea of matching the original size and changed to 195/65 R15 which opens up a much wider range to choose from and at a much lower cost. Went for Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance in the end - grippy and 'cheap' and look just fine. Happy.

Mike.

I calculate they have a very slightly smaller circumference than the fitted originals but so slight that it makes next to no difference at the speedo - something like a 1.3mph understatement at 70mph - and, lets face it, the chance of the speedo being accurate is a tad optimistic anyway, so nothing lost. Given that, I gave up on the (expensive) idea of matching the original size and changed to 195/65 R15 which opens up a much wider range to choose from and at a much lower cost. Went for Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance in the end - grippy and 'cheap' and look just fine. Happy.

Mike.

Here is a comparison for tyre sizes

http://www.etyres.co.uk/how-to-change-your-tyre-size/

I calculate they have a very slightly smaller circumference than the fitted originals but so slight that it makes next to no difference at the speedo....

Mike.

Very slight? One look at a 195/65 wheel/tyre combo against 165/80s will show you it is not that slight. The closest match to the rolling circumference of the originals is 185/70. But like 165s the selection of decent tyres is much smaller.

I went from long term 195/65 use to 165/80s. The car is far nicer.

165 Tyres = handling rather than grip, just what the car was designed to do.

Mick Richards

I had two sets of 195/65 15 for my cars, one from Pirelly and one from Goodyear both on light alloy wheels. I marked them to mesure the circumference by rolling them on the driveway.

They showed quite a difference in circumference. I heard about this, but had to check to believe ... ;)

I couldn't find any 185 or 195/65 tyres locally so in the end went for some 195/70/15s from yokohama that have been v good (although the grip v handling may have put some unfortunate strain on my rear shock tower...)

Rolling circ is 1990mm which is a little closer to stock than the 65s and they fill the arches out nicely, don't rub at the front and stop the wheelbarrow mufflers scraping so much.

Just my $0.02

I couldn't find any 185 or 195/65 tyres locally so in the end went for some 195/70/15s from yokohama that have been v good (although the grip v handling may have put some unfortunate strain on my rear shock tower...)

Rolling circ is 1990mm which is a little closer to stock than the 65s and they fill the arches out nicely, don't rub at the front and stop the wheelbarrow mufflers scraping so much.

Just my $0.02

Exactly what I have on mine, for similar reasons. The car is driven with gusto on public roads, but rarely at its limits and the improvement in wet weather performance, compared to the repro red-lines that the car came with, is enormous. Circumference is almost identical to the 185s that the US cars were delivered with (and it fills the wheel arch pleasingly).

I would also like to believe that the marginal increase in wall height also gives me a proportionate increase in protection against the unforeseen potholes we seem unable to get rid of here.

Paul

Unless you race you don't need wider tyres!

Today's modern 165 tyres offer far superior grip & handling qualities to what was originally available 40 years ago from the original 165 tyres. (I've had my car 44 years so I do remember)

Wider tyres put unnecessary strain & loads on original components especially stub axles, trunnions, hubs, UJ's etc, not to mention 40 year old chassis!

And your insurance company should be told if you're using nonstandard equipment?

• 4 months later...

What size do you run?

Mark

195/65/15 Yokohama Cdrive. good tyres and available for around £199 set of 4 landed from Ebay.

Stuart.

Michelin Pilot Exalto 195/65s now replaced with these, giving much improvement in steering ( lighter, more precise ) with grip greater than or equal to XAS ( so at the top of the heap ). Made in Serbia, the price has dropped $100 per. Still expensive, but if you really want the best...

Michelin XWX 185/70 VR 15

post-1059-0-36313700-1493299484_thumb.jpgpost-1059-0-02033600-1493299334_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Had 195/65/HR 15 tyres on my TR6 when I bought it and have to say they are not a patch on Michelin XAS 165/80/15 HR. They were taken off and XAS installed. Result was a far better car to steer and a much nicer car to drive. I can sell you am set of 195/65/15 if you want?

Alan G

I have 195's fitted and a 165 as a spare.

Be aware if you use the spare you're illegal, contravenes "Construction and Use" regulations, wheels and tyres have to be the same size on either side of an axle (or sides of the car) unless it's a space saver approved by the manufacturer.

Mick Richards

Alloy and steel rims of the same diameter and width are acceptable as a mix, but different diameter and/or width on the same axle is acceptable only if specified by the vehicle manufacturer as an OE 'space saver' option - limited to 50mph and marked as such.

The same logic applies to tyres, you can't mix widths on the same axle unless an OE option etc.

Hence running 195 one side and 165 the other contravenes Construction & Use Regulations, and therefore invalidates insurance.

Cheers

Alec