Spin on Filter Adapter- Filter Blow Offf

Looked around for a new adapter and couldn't find one locally that I could physically inspect before purchase. I finally tracked down a mate who's an old school mechanic . We managed to unscrew the nipple after disassembling the adapter to first remove the piston and spring and then heating the body with a large propane turbo torch. A large screw extractor then enabled the nipple to be removed from the body. We are turning up a new nipple 15mm longer than the old one and threaded for its whole length.

Regards,

Mike C.

post-4240-0-46676800-1481520396_thumb.jpg

That's the business Mike.

Now the cannister will stay in, for sure

Nice one

Worth doing , both for the satisfaction and the peace of mind of knowing it will work properly. I am not a fan of modern mass production- I rounded the inlet port for better oil flow and found a hairline crack - hopefully Loctite 290 wicking fluid will stop any possible leak.

Mike,

Very good job.

Make sure the new nipple is not too long which may restrict the flow, depending on the internal design of the filter.

Cheers,

Waldi

C&B / Triumph Tune used to offer/fit/sell the Metro Turbo oil filter for the TT1286 filter head as it gave a bigger element with a NRV incorporated, to ensure oil remained in the oil filter and if fitted cooler pipes, when the engine was stopped. Terry Hurrell spent hours going through the TJ & Crossland filter catalogues to find a filter with precisely the right combination of characteristics, only to discover we had the thing on the shelf in stores under a Unipart number (Coz I had a Metro Turbo as a company car and we held one in stock for my servicing needs.)

I also remember the nipple was a buyable part as it was used on some Spitfire models - which I think is this thing. https://www.minisport.com/cam5331-oil-filter-union-mpi-1997-on.html

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter,

The mimisport nipple lenght would need to be checked, having the first few threads machined off to act as a lead in for the filter was what caused the problem with the Mocal adapter I used. I have just under 25mm of full thread.

Waldi,

The centre of the filter's l plan to use have a fairly large center collection plenum which should even out the delta P along the length of the filter media. The nipple in any case only extends into the filter another 5-6 mm and the inlet has been rounded to aid flow.

Nice one Mike, looks alot better.

Worth checking, but does the adapter unit you have, have the spring loaded or solid face that mounts up to the block?

Reason I ask is that in my dim and distant memory, there have been issues with the older style solid mounts as it assumes the recess machined by Stanpartis the same on all engine...which naturally it isnt!

I dont think it affected the bits you are looking at, and manifested itself in a non-sealing face between the block and adapter, but perhaps someone else who remembers the issue can chime in for peace of mind.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have the spring loaded face fortunately, but I can recall I had problems getting even that to seal with the original installation in 1994.

Put it all together and ran the engine this afternoon at 4000 rpm the oil pressure stabilized at 90 psi . The pressure reading seemed to be a lot more stable with the Z 37, probably due to the fact that it has an internal PRV.

And no leaks !

Thanks to you and everyone from the forum that advised me on this.

Regards,

Mike C