Fibreglass vs Plastic Transmission Tunnels

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the TR6 (a 74 CR aquired last May). I need to sort out the angle drive and the rear engine mounts which will involve removing the tunnel. As it is still the original fibreboard tunnel and is liberally coated with loose duck tape I suspect it will end up in pieces.

Does anyone have any views on the relative merits of the plastic/ glass fibre replacements? I couldn't find any other threads on this. I guess that there is only a single source for each?

I had some sucess on my GT6 reinforcing the fibreboard tunnel with glass mat and resin but I supect the TR tunnel is too far gone and oil soaked for this to work.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

welcome to the forum.

I have a 4A with the same tunnel. I use a plastic one. It fits pretty well and is easy to cut and shape if needs be.

It is handy to split the tunnel and cut the rear 6 or 8 inches off and then rejoined with self tappers etc. This helps to remove it when needed.

Also consider cutting access holes for the speedo angle drive, and OD rigging link if its an A type OD.

Have another access hole for the OD solenoid, again if it is an A type.

Not sure where the best place is to get it but some posters have commented that Racetorations do a good one.

I suspect that TRShop also do a nice one.

Roger

Hi Chris,

welcome to the forum.

I have a 4A with the same tunnel. I use a plastic one. It fits pretty well and is easy to cut and shape if needs be.

It is handy to split the tunnel and cut the rear 6 or 8 inches off and then rejoined with self tappers etc. This helps to remove it when needed.

Also consider cutting access holes for the speedo angle drive, and OD rigging link if its an A type OD.

Have another access hole for the OD solenoid, again if it is an A type.

Not sure where the best place is to get it but some posters have commented that Racetorations do a good one.

I suspect that TRShop also do a nice one.

Roger

Sorry to hijack this thread - but, please Roger, give me more info on sub-dividing the cover - I'm sick and tired of taking that damn thing out.

Austin

Hi Austin,

not sure how others have done it but I simply cut there rear 6 to 8" off.

I then reattached the parts back again using some Ali sheet acting as a butt strap held together with self tapping screws,

You need to make the cut forward enough to clear the hand brake.

Haven't got a pic.

Roger

I don't know if he still does them but in my view the CTM fibreglass cover is superb value. Cheaper than the plastic ones that don't fit properly but fits like a glove.

Another choice - SC parts are doing a split plastic one £119 (it's a Bastuk item)

http://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/gearbox-tunnel-1-122812.html

I have bought one for our TR5 re-build. 1st impressions - it will need a little felting to make it fit. The speedo access cover needs to be cut out and the oil filler access on the other side. But don't they all.

Best Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne

I stil have the metal one on my 3A, however, I did cut it like the pic *ed_h* posted. The round holes can also be filled using a rubber grommet like the ones you find in the 3A floor covering the jack hole. The front and rear half on mine are connected with a sort of dzus screws: when you release the screws, they stay in place. First time I spotted those screws was on a small plane, on an civilian airport near my town. I begged the guys at the workshop next to the runway for a few of these - and got them.

Menno

Another choice - SC parts are doing a split plastic one £119 (it's a Bastuk item)

http://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/gearbox-tunnel-1-122812.html

I have bought one for our TR5 re-build. 1st impressions - it will need a little felting to make it fit. The speedo access cover needs to be cut out and the oil filler access on the other side. But don't they all.

Best Bill

The Racetorations one doesnt need fettling and has the access plates already there. Worth the extra plus Im not keen on SC.

Stuart.

Hi Chris

I have an old fiberglass one that you are welcome to have. Collection only but I don't know how far away you are.

PS welcome to the club/forum.

(null)

Edited by Kevo_6

This is how I modified my transmission tunnel on my 3A.

Everything is easily accessible and I don't have the bother of having to remove the complete tunnel.

Tom.

attachicon.gifimg253 - Copy.jpg

attachicon.gifimg254 - Copy.jpg

What's really worrying Tom is they seem the same colour as Donald Trumps !!! :o

Mick Richards