Gear lever with overdrive switch on top, (tr4a)

Racetorations do one. I have their product fitted which works very well & looks good.

Regards.

Hi all , I am in need of a gear lever which has the overdrive switch on top ,I know the stag one is to long, is there anyone out there that makes them or is it a case of cutting and shutting one .

Regards Nick

Sorry Nick, meant to say that the actual switch (a push button is on the side of the actual knob but is very convenient to use).

I cut and shut mine. Drilled the center of each mating end to take a pin. The pin centralised both ends and held every together before welding. Worked well.

Alan.

Cut and weld gearstick from Stag, Dolomite Sprint or Triumph Saloon that had overdrive. Same bottom of gearstick, just too long for a TR.

PM me if intersted as I suspect I have a new gearstick from one of the above somewhere.

Peter W

Thanks guys ,I didn't know the tr stick was hollow .

Nick

Nick,

I don't think it is! That is TR4A onwards.

I drilled mine about two inches, then drilled into the side allowing the wires out.

Been like that 16 years and still going.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Would something like this help. Knob / switch only. Wiring would need routing tho

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-153515

Others do a logic momentary type switch that auto disconnects OD up and down the gears. Useful racing option ?

I cut and shut mine, good opportunity to custom bend to suit yourself also same for height.One thing to be very careful of especially if running a logic box is the run of the wires, I have found that they can sometimes chafe and short out.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Worst place ever to fit one imho

Miles better than the steering column stalk imho.

+1 for switch on gear lever. I was for ever forgetting it's switched in when changing down and back up again (J-type - OD on 3rd & 4th) so I've added a little two-relay circuit to inhibit OD if the switch is already "on". It's now second-nature to feel the switch is already in the on-position and to flick off-then-on again ... and then give myself a mental slap on the wrist for forgetting to disengage earlier. The other benefit, which has just been mentioned, is that it puts the OD switch on the *chassis* side of the circuit so any short is non-terminal.

http://www.bikey.org.uk/SpitWiring/Red_Spit_Wiring+Fusing.pdf

Sorry that what I'm referring to is buried in the middle of a PDF schematic.

Cheers, Richard

I can spend hours on local roads in third gear just going in and out of OD as speed limits allow. Having to take my hands off the steering wheel to flip a switch on the gear knob would defeat the purpose of the column/dash mounted switches.

Stan

Same here. That odd sidescreen OD switch has surprisingly good ergonomics.

+1

I fitted wires inside my gear stick before fitting the tunnel in case I wanted to use the T2000 gear knob with O/D switch which I got with the T2000 gearbox. However, having fitted the standard TR3 type dashboard switch I like it very much, & so have not bothered to fit the gear stick one.

Also, I have not yet felt the need to fit any sort of logic box.

Bob.

One shouldn't need to remove one's hand from the steering wheel to engage/disengage overdrive, nor should one have to remember or look at the position of the switch to know whether (or not) overdrive is engaged.

Hence, a logic box and a spring loaded switch with its arm within easy reach of the fingers of one's right hand, affords the optimum solution. Just a few miilimetres of finger movement is all that is required for operation. I've been using a logic box for 11 years and cannot imagine returning to the old way..

Fiddling with a switch whilst changing gear is not my idea of fun.

Ian Cornish

Maybe some have a driving style that leads to keeping their

left hand on the gear lever whilst going through the gears.

As far as overdrive is concerned, I just CANNOT understand

why anyone would want to move their hand from the steering

wheel to engage a gearstick located switch OR keep their left

hand on the gear lever.

I am not a fan of the 'logic' switch, though many drivers seem

to like it.

Then again, some owners seem to like Morris 1000 sidelights!!

Have to say - haven't tried it - happy enough to flick in and out

of overdrive keeping my hands on the wheel.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100