Revington Twin Exhaust System

Hi folks

First post here having recently acquired a 1971 CP engine TR6.

Got a few jobs to tackle but would like to fit a twin tailpipe (wheelbarrow) SS exhaust system and like the look of the Revington TR system as it is designed to provide maximum ground clearance (my TR seems quite low compared to others) - but it is several hundred pounds more expensive than equivalent exhausts from other suppliers.

Anybody have any experience with this system - quality, ease of fitting etc -and whether it's worth the extra?

Also - difficult question I know as it's very subjective but what does it do to the exhaust note compared to the standard configuration (the sound of which I like)?

cheers

Tim

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum,

I've had a Revingtons twin pipe system fitted for about 20 years, as you say, the boxes tuck up underneath and give the best clearance. Unlike other twin pipe systems. The quality is great but it is quite a bit louder than a standard system.

In terms of fitting - no problems and it's dead easy to remove and refit too!

Cheers

Allan

My experience with the "Twin box" (Sport) system SS en the '90 & '00 fromMoss - I was very happy w/ the look and the exhaust note but after a long period of time I was feed up with loud noise on long motoring, lower clearance contraints, regular re-alignment needed and issue w/ fumes & exhaust smelling.

Now on my TR6 under restoration I am going back to the "Cross box" (Standard) system SS

Have you made a search on this topic on the Forum ?:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/59181-changing-my-sport-exhaust-back-to-standard/?hl=twin

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/54003-exhaust-fumes-from-twin-tailpipes/?hl=twin

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/53521-cockpit-fumes/?hl=fumes

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/52233-tr6-exhaust-fumes-airflows-over-bodywork/

This is my experience w/ the concept Twin vs Cross box and I have no experience w/ the specific one from Revington .

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Tim, Welcome to the forum. Beware of fumes being sucked back into the cockpit. There was a long thread earlier this year suggesting that central tialpipes are the cause.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/52233-tr6-exhaust-fumes-airflows-over-bodywork/?hl=+tailpipe%20+fumes%20+exhaust

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Gents

Thanks for all the comments - good advice & might stop me wasting a lot of cash - I like the aesthetic of twin pipes but not not enough to put up with excessive noise or fumes.

I'm in the Kent area group & know at least one member with a twin system I can also check with.Will also look at those other threads.

So if I stick with the original single cross box design any recommendations on brand?

Ive had the Revington twin box system for over 20 years now . I wouldn't compare it to the other twin box systems, much neater fitting with both boxes tucked up out of the way , well thought out design from behind you hardlly see the boxes unlike the other offerings where they hang down & look very after market to my mind. They are not quiet but that's fine by me .Since purchasing mine 3 other group members have done the same .Would be good to see & try first though. No fume issues for me .

Chris

Edited by heckler

Have them made for you. I've had 2 made now. 1 system for my TR6 and another for our TR5. Not that expensive - For the 5 I paid £490. For the 6, £580. You can have the boxes made to suit your taste. Loud or soft etc. Really good ground clearance and easy to take off and re-fit etc. Here's a picture of the 5 system. The tail pipes haven't been fitted yet as I'll have them cut to suit when the cars up and running. I'm also considering a "v" cut within the tail pipes and deflectors (which you won't see) to deflect the exhaust onto the floor and yet retain the standard tails.

post-391-0-99065400-1480400123_thumb.jpg

Best Bill

Have them made for you. I've had 2 made now. 1 system for my TR6 and another for our TR5. Not that expensive - For the 5 I paid £490. For the 6, £580. You can have the boxes made to suit your taste. Loud or soft etc. Really good ground clearance and easy to take off and re-fit etc. Here's a picture of the 5 system. The tail pipes haven't been fitted yet as I'll have them cut to suit when the cars up and running. I'm also considering a "v" cut within the tail pipes and deflectors (which you won't see) to deflect the exhaust onto the floor and yet retain the standard tails.

attachicon.gifIMG_2022.JPG

Best Bill

Bill why did you have the pipe from the T shirt run to the left instead of the right as its very close to the fuel lines?

Stuart.

Bill why did you have the pipe from the T shirt run to the left instead of the right as its very close to the fuel lines?

Stuart.

Because I have a fuel drain on the bottom of fuel tank over the o/s. You could though easily run this to the o/s if you wished. It's only a short section up to the clamp before the fuel pipe goes in a vertical direction. I have the same set up on my 6 and have never had any problems.

Bill