Wobbly HS6 Float chamber - How to tighten retaining bolt.

Changed the oil cooler rad' and fittings today, then changed the oil / filter.

Between the two I started up and ran for 16 (in case the nosey neighbour and EHO are reading) minutes to warm the oil.

It took a while to start but once running seemed fine (albeit slight smell of fuel in engine bay).

After changing the oil and filter I tried to fire it up to check that all was well under pressure.

Oddly wouldn't start - battery charged.

Kicked the tyres, still no start, so had a look around the engine bay to check fuel and sparks.

Noticed that the front float chamber was looking a tad limp - yup quite loose on touch. Wiggle the chamber and you can feel the retaining bolt head loose on the rear side of the carb.

Could this be the cause of non-starting ? Fuel is July old ?

Anyway, how the hell do you tighten these float chamber retaining bolts up.

It isn't possible to get even a stubby spanner or small socket onto the bolt head as the choke (?) lever that goes under the carb body to the jet assembly is in the way.

Where this lever attaches to the jet is a small screw, but you cannot get a driver on the screw head as the float chamber (even when slightly loose) is in the way.

Catch 22 !

Anyone dealt with this without taking the carbs apart / off - which I really really really don't want to do.

Only got midweek evenings to sort this (and re-attached indicators and spots) get running to check all is running well before Brands - so any advice greatly appreciated.

MMMMMM, I think then its my heat shields in the way

I may have to resort to a sawn off stubby

Loose float chamber on an HS6 won't leak fuel or affect starting...it's just a mechanical mounting of the chamber...with it loose there might be some fuel foaming problem at certain revs...thats all...until it falls off and dangles by the jet supply tube...under that condition the chamber will overflow and the car run lean...

anyone know what spanner size fits the float chamber retaining bolt ?

I cannot get the spanner to it without cutting down - - don't really want to work my way through a set !

Just measured mine for you - 7/16" AF.

The choke mechanism gets in the way, but pull the choke cable fully out, & it is then possible.

Bob.

Call me cynical....I would have suggested 1/4 BSF AKA 3/16 BSW without checking. Or could even be O BA to amuse - Thanks for measuring Bob.

Peter W

PS

Is there a rubber mount between the float chamber and carb body?

Some of us have rigid mounted float chambers on those HS6 carbs bought from C&B in the 70's - for my money the float chamber top should be horizontal to the road but as has been discussed here before it did not really matter a toss as the engine shakes about so much.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Some of us have rigid mounted float chambers on those HS6 carbs bought from C&B in the 70's

Peter W

Yep, that's where I got mine. According to the metal tag, they were originally for the Allegro Sport !

Bob