Radiator Cowls

Dear All

I'm gate-crashing your forum again!

Following the success of the TR6 cowl in polished stainless steel, I am delighted to say that John Morrison, Cumbria Group Leader, saw an opportunity and sent me his cardboard cowl from his TR4 for a pattern.

The finished product is on its way back to John as we speak and hopefully will be received on Monday. Thanks once again John.

The cowl comes as one piece, retaining the curve and authentic look. It looks fantastic - really!

I'd like to offer this item for sale to the Club members at £60 plus postage and packaging. Please e-mail me for a photo, or you may wish to try your luck at bidding for one on e-bay from Sunday. I will get a photo onto the "Buy and Sell" section of the forum very soon.

Either way, the price for the club members will be fixed at £60.

I do expect the price to increase on e-bay (the last TR6 cowl sold for £148!)

Please contact me directly on

richard.heap7@btinternet.com

regards

Richard

Dear All

I still can't get a good picture onto the forum but you'll see two pictures of the cowl if you visit e-bay. I can't do the "link" thing but can tell you that it's item number 4595582062 or alternatively go to Triumph and search TR4 and its on page two, near the bottom!

regards

Richard

Ian,

Beware - a TR6 cowl won't fit a TR5 without quite a lot of modification (it doesn't fit the upper front valance).  I looked into this and ended up using a TR4A cowl which was too long from front to back, so I trimmed the trailing edge until it fitted.  It isn't as strong without the rear lip but mine is supported at each side where the stays attach to the rad so should be OK - and has been since 2000 when I fitted it.

Hope this helps,

CP62

Guest Marvel901

CP62, Thanks for that, I knew the 4/4a cowl would not fit based mainly on the different size of the TR5 radiator not to mention the front to back difference, however, I did not know there was any radical difference in the top portion of the front valence, so I guess its a non starter. I made an alloy one for my last car and it looked OK but just thought a polished stainless one would look better.

Thanks again

Hi Paul & Ian

A cowl for a TR5 is proving difficult at the moment!

The way I got around the 4 was to borrow one from John Morrison in Cumbria and then take a pattern from that.

He also provided a badge so we could make a scale drawing and then transfered this to the CNC machinery.

If either of you two can help with a current cowl that fits a TR5 and a badge (or photo with ruler in shot) then we can discuss a discount.

John got his for £20 with free P&P!

Let me know if you can help on e-mail address below

cheers

Richard

Re the above, I am trying to get pictures of the SS cowl now fitted to my 4, on to this site, but no success yet.

that said the item is absolutly superb, and for anyone curious I would be happy to forward pictures directly.

john morrison.

Hi Paul & Ian

A cowl for a TR5 is proving difficult at the moment!

The way I got around the 4 was to borrow one from John Morrison in Cumbria and then take a pattern from that.

He also provided a badge so we could make a scale drawing and then transfered this to the CNC machinery.

If either of you two can help with a current cowl that fits a TR5 and a badge (or photo with ruler in shot) then we can discuss a discount.

John got his for £20 with free P&P!

Let me know if you can help on e-mail address below

cheers

Richard

Hello Richard. I do not have a cowl of any discription on my tr5 at present,I have seen tr4a and tr6 cowls adapted/fettled onto 5s but do not have any photos. Understand the difficulties you have in design,I will ask around and if anyone else can help with photos I will send them to you and Ian for opinion of best way forward.

Regards

There has never been a factory one-piece cowl for the 5. The upper valance is the same as the 4A, but the radiator is the same as the 6 and is closer to the valance than on a 4A. The small panels you can get from Moss etc to go one at each side of the rad are pretty useless, so the only alternatives are to adapt either a 4A or 6 cowl, or make from scratch.

From my own experience, adapting a 4A cowl isn't too difficult - it involved removing the rear flange and some more material to shorten the cowl. The problem then is that the rear lip of the cowl has no support and is liable to sag/crack/tear etc, so some strengthening is needed. I left the sides of the original cowl full-length and cut slots so that rectangular clamps could be used to hold the sides in against the sides of the radiator (on the same studs used for the stays). This has been OK since mid 2000 on a well-used car.

For Richard H - I would suggest starting with your 4A pattern cowl and simply shorten the design (fore/aft direction) to fit the gap between the valance and radiator. I'm sure there are enough 5s out there to get a good mean measurement - sadly mine probably isn't a good example since the front valance seems to be a little too far back (bumper irons don't fit well).

Hope this helps, and all the best with your cowls (various)!

CP62

• 3 weeks later...

I have a fibreglass cowl that fits my TR5 not very pretty but I think came from Racetorations.

Richard you can borrow it if you wish.

Regards

John

I have a fibreglass cowl that fits my TR5 not very pretty but I think came from Racetorations.

Richard you can borrow it if you wish.

Regards

John

Thanks for the offer John. I'm visiting one of the Trent Group members tomorrow to measure up his TR5.

Nottingham is a little closer to home!

Thanks again for the offer.

regards

Richard