In tank pump

Hello Mark

I am thinking of doing this to my Spitfire as part of the EFI conversion,

One of the members in the TSSC(sorry for swearing but I am in both clubs TR for 45 years TSSC only about 6) has done this with VW pump

Roger

Hello Mark

I have just had a thought do you need a pump that will run Lucas PI?

I will not need the same pressure as it is modern EFI so most modern pumps would be no good to you.

This what a TSSC member did.

Re tank/pump

On my spitfire i was given a tank that had been left empty for over 20 years, no sniff of petrol so a good clean out and we were happy to weld it. Otherwise they need a good steam-clean out. We tack welded a plate (precut a hole, and made a clamp ring for the pump, plus fitted studs to the plate for the clamp ring, which were brazed underneath to prevent petrol working its way up the threads) towards the OS end of the tank, and it was brazed. A bit if a mission as the tank is not flat at the top and has that pesky seam. Took a few goes to get it watertight, then checked with petrol.

Anyway, I used a mk4 golf pump, bought off ebay for a tenner. It is a perfect fit in terms of height, and has built in return and a swirl pot. My car has done several trackdays, a couple where the fuel level has got pretty low, and no issues at all.

The pump had its sender mechanism removed before fitting, I wonder if that could be utilised but would have been a further complication in terms of gauge calibration. I did use the original golf seal too, so worth finding a pump that includes it (not easy to find new, and not really cheap either)

http://www.ebay.co.u...aUAAOSwU-pXsc40

I am fitting Microsquirt system and have it running the ignition side before I remove the carbs to fit the throttle bodies so if it does not start I know the ignition side works and it is the EFI set up that is the problem.

This what I am going to fit

Roger

post-7600-0-24799600-1479476439_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Mark

I have modified my fuel tank to fit a Range rover pump.

I have also fitted a baffle inside to stop surge.

I have managed to fit the baffle(temporary) with a bit of fiddling and cursing it is 3" high and 8" from end of the tank.(the rod in the photo is to place it in position) I have to work out how to get the nut off?

I was thinking of drilling some holes about 10/12 mm up from the bottom as the sides and bottom should seal quite well

I have located it with 2 pop rivets for now, I was thinking perhaps drill another hole above or below the pop rivet just in the tank and plug weld or braze through it?

Also use steel pop rivets and braze over them.

Some progress today?

I have welded/brazed the fuel tank so now it should be fuel tight(I think I will use some tank sealant first as there is only 2 holes below the fuel line)

I fitted the baffle with 2 x 4 mm steel screws and nuts that have been brazed over(I fitted the screws from the inside? how I hear you ask? I soft soldered them to a length of 1/16" welding wire and just heated them up when fitted to get the wire off)

I drilled 4 x 4 mm holes about 10/12 mm from the base and there is the 5 mm hole I used to hold it in position about 50 mm up from base (tested the flow by cutting the side off 5lt plastic bottle and drilling 4 x 4 mm holes and it took about 45 secs to flow 1lt out.

I have been thinking(dangerous) about the tank vent at the moment it is just the hole in the filler cap and the tank vent is blocked off.

We occasionally get a fuel smell in the hot weather(just a memory?) and I was thinking will there be more fumes with the return being pumped into the tank? and perhaps I should install a pipe from the tank vent down and to the rear of the car?

Roger

post-7600-0-06606100-1483128266_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-90968400-1483128299_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-47018400-1483128311_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-77487200-1483128347_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-51586200-1483128371_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-72518000-1483128399_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-36811200-1483128427_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-06325900-1483128452_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-30189900-1483128464_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-01670200-1483128476_thumb.jpg

Hi All.

Just wondering if anyone has ever thought about fitting a modern in tank pump set up ?

Mark.

The joker in me says buy a TR8 efi and break it as they had the pump arrangement in the tank.

I'll get my coat.

Peter W

Hi Roger.

Looks very impressive. Did you buy the pump and bracket as a kit or of a production vehicle ?

I'm also getting there, trying to fit one inside a swirl pot arrangement.

Good luck keep us informed. Mark.

Hello Mark

I bought a NOS Ranger Rover Classic made by AC but there are plenty of after market ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Classic-V8-EFI-In-Tank-High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump-upto-1990-PRC8318-/230838354019?fits=Model%3ARange+Rover&hash=item35bf09c063:g:3I0AAOSwgmJXx~hw

I thought I would test the pump today ready for fitting into tank I put into a watering can full of diesel and put the pump outlet back in through the spout.

I switched it on and I thought I had bought a duff pump as I could not hear it running(B*****r I thought ) but I had got the radio on in the garage so I turned it off and bingo it was pumping like a good one(panic over)

I tested with a meter to see what current it draws and it is 4 amps and when I put my finger over the end I sprayed diesel everywhere so it pumps ok?

I also checked the flow unrestricted and it is about 4 to 4.5 lt/min

I dont think I will be able to hear it in operation and it only runs for 2 seconds on switch on unless there in crank rotation(ie it stops if the engine stops) but I do have a safety cut out switch that I fitted when I went to electric pump 5 years ago.

Peter W

I do not understand your comment why would I want to buy and scrap a TR8 EFI tank?

I would still have to weld/braze it into the Spitfire tank as I don't think a TR8 EFI tank would fit a Spitfire and I suspect Range Rover pumps are easier find and cheaper(more likley to be available when touring abroad than a TR8 version unless it was the Ranger Rover one?)

Roger

Peter W

I do not understand your comment why would I want to buy and scrap a TR8 EFI tank?

I would still have to weld/braze it into the Spitfire tank as I don't think a TR8 EFI tank would fit a Spitfire and I suspect Range Rover pumps are easier find and cheaper(more likley to be available when touring abroad than a TR8 version unless it was the Ranger Rover one?)

Roger

The joke was buying a TR8 to break it up for the tank....

The TR8 efi tank has 2 bayonet type fitting apertures for both sender unit and pump unit - as you have createe in the Spit tank. If the TR7/8 tank fitted the space where a Spit tank goes you could be in with a chance - Does look as though it could be the same width as the gap between the Spit wheel arches, although of greater capacity.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT