Spark plug early TR2 (TS1953)

Hi,

What is the original spark plug cap for my TR2 (TS1953)? In the parts catalog TR2 first edition they are not mentioned!

I have a some pictures from the first TR2's ,they have not a cap but a plain metal spark plug connector till TS ????

Bill Piggott collectors Originality Guide says "right-angled rubberised plug cap" later plastic caps.

Has someone old information (books) or a old picture below TS2000 that shows the correct spark plug caps types that they used?

Edited by Kutscher

The original TR2 service manual I have states Champion L10S for standard use and L11S for High Speed. This number plug ends up as Champion L87Y

Anything here you fancy? http://www.gsparkplug.com/ignition/spark-plug-caps?p=6

This is the image from the same service manual of the plug lead arrangement - That set up of HT lead attachment would nicely wreak the audio pleasure of the radio listener in the adjacent car .....

Peter W

Hi,

The Sales Brochure for the 20TS states Champion L10 spark plugs as being used.

These are a 14mm plug with a 1/2" reach.

The first TR2 Sales Brochure states the same - Champion L10 spark plugs.

In the second TR2 Sales Brochure, issued after the Jabbeke run in May 1953, the plugs have been changed to Champion L10S.

This same Champion L10S spark plug is listed in all the TR3 Sales Brochures.

Looking through the TR3A Sales Brochures that I have, none state any details about spark plugs.

The First Edition of the "The Triumph Sports Car, Instruction Book" (an un-referenced and undated publication) states Champion L10S spark plugs.

But with the caveat of "For high speed touring however, use Champion No. L11S - 1/2" reach"

On the previous page, a clear illustration shows the ignition side of the engine and the spark plugs have "caps" fitted.

In addition on page 9 it states :

"Difficulty in sometimes experienced in starting if the atmosphere is very damp, causing moisture to collect on the exposed porcelain portions of the sparking plugs. Caps are provided on the plugs to minimise this trouble."

I would have thought that spark plug caps would have been used from first production as they started to be used on many makes of car during the late 1930's

Hope this helps.

Regards, Richard

Hi Edwin, it aren't the spark plugs but the spark plug caps that i ment.

I can't find documentation from the spark plug caps that they used between TS1000 and TS2000.

Edited by Kutscher

HI Richard, thanks for the information.

So we know that they used spark plug caps in the time that they delivered the first edition instruction manual.

If we knew when de instruction manual was available or delivered with commission numbers (TS....?...) we are a little bit further.

Than the question, what types spark plug caps they deliver in 1953 and 1954 that are rubberised (what Bill Piggott says)

And what brand they used, Lucas or Champion.

If we look to the brand Champion, they used 2 types that are rubberised. One with the brand champion or another with no brand on it.

So far i know there are no Lucas ones that are rubberised.

When someone has a old picture of a early TR2 (TS... to TS2000) engine bay, then we would be sure what is the correct one.

The only old pictures i can find commission number TS6, and this car had still plain metal spark plug connector.

Edited by Kutscher

This was the type we sold the hell out of in the day. They were as near the orig as we could get.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-champion-spark-plug-wcx600.html

Champion do still do a rubber cap too

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-champion-spark-plug-cap-pro0u-black.html

The choice is yours - Did you browse this selection of spark plug HT caps? http://www.gsparkplug.com/ignition/spark-plug-caps?limit=100

Peter W

Hello Peter,

When i take a look on the on internet (http://www.britcycle.com/products/champion_plug_caps.htm) i can find different soft types spark plug caps, but witch one is the correct one in the early 50's ? They all for motor cycles but probally also used for cars.

The champion WC548 is from de 50's but is not a rubberised spark plug.

Edited by Kutscher