home garage four post lift

Hi All

Does anyone have experience of 4 post home lifts

I'm currently considering something like a Strongman Glenfinnan primarily so I can park 2 classics (inc my TR4) in one half of my double garage but also use it as a lift for maintenance etc

Any advice / comments gratefully received

Thanks

Stuart

The Glenfinnan is well liked and respected for home garage use, Strongman has an excellent name and reputation and can supply support and home fitment advice, a good choice as endorsed by Neil. No room in my garage, not enough roof height, but the Strongman Clifton restricted height scissor lift does the job. If I could fit a 4 post a Glenfinnan would be my choice.

Mick Richards

The price goes up in the New Year.

There is one main problem with the Glenfinnan and the Dunkeld but if you accept that then it will not be a problem,

The maximium space between the outside of the car tyres is 1,760mm. Some modern car ie the Ford Focus and Audi's will not fit on there.

Is your garage floor in good condition? Most floors are 100mm of concrete but Strongman now suggest 150mm.

There are plenty 4 post lifts on 100mm concrete floors.

How far are the cable runs so that includes the vertical measurement as well and do you know the size of cable you have to the garage from your house consumer unit.

You should do a quick voltage drop calc. If you post the info I can do that for you.

Several years ago I was lucky to pick up an MOT capable 4 post lift second hand for £500, the seller even delivered it.

Generally ex garage lifts are fitted with a 3 phase motor so will need a 1 phase/ 3 phase convertor for a normal domestic mains supply. I managed to knock one up but they are available now from many suppliers.

As Eddie points out, consider the voltage drop situation . When starting the motor will have a very high initial starting current well in excess of a 16 Amp supply that is why Strongman specify a 16 A motor breaker. A normal 16 amp breaker will most likely trip.

I had the problem that my lift would happily cope with a TR but not the much heavier Land Rover. Increasing the cable size to the motor sorted it. It was the initial high current surge through the thinner cable that caused so much voltage drop that the motor could not get up to speed.

Summarising You could save a considerable sum by buying a second hand lift at auctions etc. but be prepared for a bit of hassle. A new Strongman would be much easier.

If you opt for the Strongman, their jacking beam looks rather cumbersome, other manufacturers units are far more compact.

My Clifton runs quite happily on the standard Type B contact breaker.

Mick Ricahrds

Hi Stuart

I purchase one of these: -

http://www.sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/4-post-lifts/

4m long and even has removable wheels so that it can be moved around should there be the requirement. I uprated the breaker to a 'C' type and all is good.

Cheers

Ian

Even with a 4 post lift that you want mobile make sure the legs and the lift are bolted down in use, it's too easy for this to happen otherwise.

post-6602-0-23851800-1479119605_thumb.jpg

Mick Richards

That is one seriously tidy garage!

Thank you - But... I still can't :wub: find some things when i want them. I've put them away somewhere ! But I always find the things I don't want and ... aha, that's where you were :unsure: then put them back and forget where I've put them again.

" Even with a 4 post lift that you want mobile make sure the legs and the lift are bolted down in use "

And equally, make sure that the floor to which the lift is bolted is fit for purpose - 6" or preferably 8" of reinforced concrete.

The average garage floor is nowhere near adequate to support a four or two post lift . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi all

Thank you for all the comments, suggestions and advice

The garage comprises a new 150mm thick reinforced slab so is ok and it is relatively easy to run a new cable back to the consumer unit as the garage is attached to the house.

Ill have a trawl around before I decide, noted that there is a Strongman price increase soon

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I got a 4 post lift several years ago and very happy with it. Idea was to store additional car underneath which is fine but it only came with three oil drip trays. Suggest which ever you get check how many it comes with to ensure enough to cover whole ramp area.

Paul

PS and Steve is right they are very heavy, get help assembling.

Crikey...! I thought my garage was tight for a lift.

Mick Richards