Kenlowe Thermo Switch failed

I was out in my TR3a yesterday and after returning it to the garage noticed that the electric fan was still operating. It turns out that the thermo switch has failed and is shorting to earth permanently.

I have ordered a new switch from Moss but has anyone else had the same problem.

Part of the fun of ordering the new switch was getting the correct temperature range. Up until it failed, I have been very happy with how the cooling system is operating, the engine warms up quickly and the fan only seems to come on in traffic. "Simples", I thought, buy another like the one I had. The only problem was that when I looked up the invoice for the original order back in 2010 it states:

IM50090 - Thermoswitch for 88 - 79C

And when I look at the current Moss catalogue it shows that part number as being for a 86 - 81C 'switch, and it's out of stock. So I ended up ordering IM50120 which is the current listing for the 88 to 79 deg C switch. Hopefully it will work as well as the old one did.

Rgds Ian

PS Considering the limited mileage that the car does, the original switch hasn't lasted very well.

" but has anyone else had the same problem. "

Damn right, as in just about every Kenlowe-equipped car I can recall owning over the past 50 years . . . . . :rolleyes:

Which is why I try and avoid Kenlowe. ;)

Cheers,

Alec

It was the switch that failed not the fan. The switch was a stock item from Moss so I suspect it emanated from the PRC.

Rgds Ian

Doesn't the fan have its own relay in which case the thermoswitch should be on the low power activation side of the relay?

I am assuming (always dangerous) that you had an "Otter switch" controlling your fan.

All the Kenlow fans I have seen have had a variable controller which connects to the top hose via a capillary tube.

Anyway, The Otter switches are usually pretty reliable, although I did have one fail on me a couple of years ago.

I had replace my Revotec controller with an Otter switch when the former failed on me - causing the relay to chatter as soon as the cold engine was started. The first Otter switch failed in as much that it's operating temperature - which had been spot on previously - started to change so that the fan was coming on at much lower temperatures. The TR shop (where I bought it) sent me a new one, & that has been fine ever since.

The one I use is rated at ON 92°C OFF 87°C I find this is just right, My car runs normally at around 183°F (sorry about the mixed units), & the fan stays off. In traffic it slowly rises (no mechanical fan) to around 195, the fan cuts in, & drops it down to around 185, then switches off.

I think a relay in the circuit is a very good idea.

Bob.

Nothing wrong with Kenlowes per se but the inline switches in the water pipes are often problematic and fail fairly regularly. Dont also be tempted with the newer Kenlowe type of switching that involves a thermocouple inserted between the fins of the rad. They dont last five minutes on a TR as they cant stand the vibrations.

Stuart.

It was an in line switch in the water pipe that failed. It was fairly straightforward to replace and if I had been away from home it wouldn't have been a problem as I could just disconnect it and use the manual switch in the car instead.

Picking up on Stuart's point it would seem to be not that unusual.

Rgds Ian

PS Bob, what is an Otter switch?

Edited by Ian Vincent

Hi had that type of switch fail the day of the REDROSE august TR fest. It seemed to fail safe ie the fan on. I had to remove the fuse to turn it off. Easily fixed with new part tho.

You learn something every day !! I thought an otter switch was the switch on a kettle - to make the water 'otter ......

(Sorry couldn't resist ????)

Edited by Hamish

Jaguar Mk7/8/9/1/2 S type and Mk 10 electric choke is controlled by a switch in the water rail clearly marked "Otter"

Stuart.

I had a switch fail recently and was told the electronic components could be damaged by interference from the coil and to keep the two as far apart as possible. This may be more applicable to electronic ignition coils.

Cheers Richard