Nice original TR3A on eBay -- rare Targo Purple interior

My TR3A TS71.... has a built date march 1960 and was shipped to the U.S. west coast.

According to the Californian title the car was first registered in 1962 displaying the STC62 prefix on an additional plate. First registration was "OSAM "

I consulted several U.S foras and it's not clear what "STC " exactly means.

The general consensus was that this plate was applied to cars in order to stretch a bit the build date and to prove that's the dealer is selling a new car :blink:

If someone has the CORRECT meaning of this " STC " abreviation I'm looking forward to hear.. ;)

Must say, I have some doubts about the originality of this black car with the, to say, FUNNY interior.

My understanding has always been Standard Triumph California.and any car brought in from around 1st of March on was registered as being of the next year.

Stuart.

Stuart -

Am I right in thinking there was no STC-62 ?

Seen plenty of SCT-63s (including TR4s) but

vever seen an STC-62.

Maybe this is linked to low sales at that time, and

the factory wanting to indicate the cars were new.

AlanR

Stuart -

Am I right in thinking there was no STC-62 ?

Seen plenty of SCT-63s (including TR4s) but

vever seen an STC-62.

Maybe this is linked to low sales at that time, and

the factory wanting to indicate the cars were new.

AlanR

I think you will find them on 3a`s you may also find it on Toronto Tim`s very early 4 as well

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Fully understand, but the fog continues to thicken.

The discussion took place about the STC pefix took place many years ago and many U.S. TR3 owners participated, some of them as first owners of the cars.

So some of them purchased the car new in another state displaying the STC prefix, and the car was never on a Californian title.

I could agree with Bill, but still don't understand the 2 years gap between arrival at Portland on the W coast and the first registration in California.

Fully understand, but the fog continues to thicken.

The discussion took place about the STC pefix took place many years ago and many U.S. TR3 owners participated, some of them as first owners of the cars.

So some of them purchased the car new in another state displaying the STC prefix, and the car was never on a Californian title.

I could agree with Bill, but still don't understand the 2 years gap between arrival at Portland on the W coast and the first registration in California.

In 1960 it was not unusual for a TR3 to sit on a dealers lot for a year before it was sold, creating a 1 year gap between the time it was manufactured and the time that it was first titled. That was the case with my car. A delay of two years sounds a bit extreme in general but perhaps there were cases where there was a two year delay or where the car was given a new title when registered in a different state.

Stan

In 1960 it was not unusual for a TR3 to sit on a dealers lot for a year before it was sold, creating a 1 year gap between the time it was manufactured and the time that it was first titled. That was the case with my car. A delay of two years sounds a bit extreme in general but perhaps there were cases where there was a two year delay or where the car was given a new title when registered in a different state.

Stan

In addition were the dealer "Demos" which often stayed in the hands of dealer staff for extended periods and operated on "dealer plates" under the blanket dealer registration which was not vehicle specific. Although these were essentially used cars and usually sold at a discounted prices they were not registered or titled until sold to the public.

Tom

Cars bought in surrounding states to California would have originally come from clearing dealers in that state as thats where all cars for that side of the states were imported into so would still have had the STC plate fixed.

Stuart.

Hi Guys,

My 3A (19 59)has the STC 60 plate( bright orange...) TS 54..........and was first registered as a 1960 car. And yes, it was very common for these cars to sit on a dealers lot for a year or even more. Even today dealers will ship unsold cars to other provinces and states so they can get rid of there stock before the new cars arrive in August.

Yves

In spite of the accolades and interest expressed on this and other forums, the car remains unsold with a price drop, now $39,750 with just a couple of days to go. I wonder where it would have been if there had been real bidding rather than buy it know?

I tend to think it might be a long time before we see another one like it, not even considering the purple leather. Nice but quite ordinary restorations have gone for more.

Tom

In spite of the accolades and interest expressed on this and other forums, the car remains unsold with a price drop, now $39,750 with just a couple of days to go. I wonder where it would have been if there had been real bidding rather than buy it know?

I tend to think it might be a long time before we see another one like it, not even considering the purple leather. Nice but quite ordinary restorations have gone for more.

Tom

I think the time of year plays a role too Tom. Most of us in the northern half of the country are putting our cars away for the winter and getting the snow blower and generator out. It may have been a different story if the ebay sale was posted in April.

Stan